Tumblr nuwm9drpq51qhgu91o1 r1 500

WalkingInCircles

I enjoy to write and I always have, so I might as well start entering competitions and stuff so I can strengthen my writing techniques.

Paycheck Fairness for Equality

People everywhere are being discriminated by their sex. Men have been getting about 22 cents more than woman for the same jobs and same hours. The Government Equality Office, also called GEO,  should make a law to have equality in sexes and wages. Which, of course, would be the Paycheck Fairness Act. 

One important reason that the Paycheck Fairness Act, which will help secure equal pay for equal work for all Americans, should be passed is women don’t get equal pay to men. ACLU, also known as the American Civil Liberty Union, says that, “In 2013, according to the U.S. Census Bureau…women who worked full time earned, on average, only 78 cents for every dollar men earned.The figures are even worse for women of color. African American women earned only approximately 64 cents and Latinas only 56 cents for each dollar earned by a white male,” (Equal Pay for Equal Work: Pass the Paycheck Fairness Act). ACLU is saying that women don’t earn as much as men, at least 22 cents less. Since this is true, women should be payed just as much as men.

Another important reason that we should pass the Paycheck Fairness Act is that it will make critical changes to the law. ACLU discusses the changes are, “requiring employers to demonstrate that wage differentials are based on factors other than sex, strengthening penalties for equal pay violations, and authorizing additional training for Equal Employment Opportunity Commission staff to better identify and handle wage disputes,” (Equal Pay for Equal Work: Pass the Paycheck Fairness Act). ACLU is saying that a lot of the above ideas need to be updated, and it’s very important that they are. This list shows that things need to change, and the Paycheck Fairness act can change this. 

A third important reason that this law should be passed is that the Paycheck Fairness Act is designed to help those who believe they are victims of gender-based wage discrimination by making wages more transparent. Without transparency in the workplace, people don't know if they are being paid fairly. A member of the U.S. News Debate Club stated that, “With a reported 77 cents to the dollar pay gap between women and men, respectively, persisting nearly five decades later,” (U.S. News Debate Club). This member is saying that women earn 23 cents less than men, and nothing has been changing. This proves that women earn less than men do, and for a long time. To stop this, we need to pass the Paycheck Fairness Act, otherwise it won't stop.
   \
    Despite all of this evidence some people still think that the Paycheck Fairness act should not be passed since "the sexes are already equal". They are not equal. As I have stated above, woman earn 22 cents less than men, and based on ethnicity, that can be even less. We need this act so all sexes and ethnic groups can be equal, and earn the same amount of moeny. George Washington said that, “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness—That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed…,” (Preamble). George Washington states that all people are created as equals, and they have rights and deserve the same opportunities as everyone else. This shows that George Washington created our nation off of the belief that everyone is created equal, and we should be keeping it that way.

All in all, the Paycheck Fairness Act is an important way to be sure everyone is more equal. Each point that was made is showing different ways that the Paycheck Fairness Act can improve our country. This law can make several updates the laws already passed, but they are important. This law is also needed to help against sexism with the amount of money women earn, so people can feel that they are just as important as a co-worker working the same job and hours. America needs this law to be sure to live by the Declaration of Independence, of which this country was built off of. This law will help the United States become an actual free and equal country that it was supposed to be.

“Equal Pay For Equal Work: Pass the Paycheck Fairness Act.” American Civil Liberties Union. Web. 18 Nov. 2015. <https://www.aclu.org/equal-pay-equal-work-pass-paycheck-fairness-act>

Trollope, Anthony. “Declaration Of Independence.” North America (2009): 467–471.

“US News.” US News. U.S.News &amp; World Report, n.d. Web. 18 Nov. 2015. <http://www.usnews.com/debate-club/should-the-senate-pass-the-paycheck-fairness-act>