YayaZ

I've grown up my entire life as a global nomad. Due to this, writing has become the outlet I use to express my thoughts and experiences.

Bookshelf

PROMPT: Bookshelf

2
Title: Mornings in Jenin
Author: Susan Abulhawa
Genre: Novel, Historical Fiction
Three sentence synopsis: Mornings in Jenin js a book that traces the heartbreak of Palestine. It is a journey that follows the bloodline of four Abulheja’s generations and their struggle to reestablish life as refugees in their own homeland. It is a touching story of how amidst pain, loss, and bitterness, friendship and love still find a way to blossom.

Title: Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World
Author: Jack Weatherford
Genre: Historical Biography
 Three sentence synopsis: In this masterfully written biographical/historical look on the life of Genghis Khan, it is quickly evident that he was not your ordinary bloodthirsty despot. Rather, he was shrewd, calculating, and even merciful (to those loyal to him) man who sought to enrich his empire through trade and knowledge. Though he came from humble origins, he grew up to be one of history’s greatest global modernizers.

Title: Jane Eyre
Author: Charlotte Brontë
Genre: Gothic fiction, Romance novel, Social criticism
Three sentence synopsis: The character of Jane Eyre is a contradiction to society’s mid-1800s expectation of women: she is plain not pretty, imaginative not insipid, and critical not flattering. Through her childhood struggles, Jane grows to become a woman seemingly governed by everyone around her. However, all this changes when she becomes a governess at the run-down and secret-ridden mansion of Thornfield Hall.

1