ShaynaFGCL

Can cheating harm or benefit a student?

Many aspects have contributed to students cheating, such as the evolution of the internet, pressure for students to excel, and many more. Almost all learning institutions have this problem. There are many negative consequences from cheating. Cheating can most definitely cause issues for someone in the long run. These actions may benefit someone in the moment, but not in the future. Cheating is thought to some people as not a big deal, however it is. In the article, At Issue: Cheating, research has shown that some students believe cheating is not right, but do it anyways. People need to learn the consequences of cheating and how it can effect you eventually.
    Cheating can cause long-term effects on students. Stuber-McEwens study shows that cheating can cause someone to have issues accessing knowledge/information that they learned for a test on and cheated. This information could have been “learned” over 20 years ago, but the student will never remember it because of the effect of cheating on one test. Cheating can cause a student to not fully understand what was taught in class. This will give them disadvantages in the long run. Some believe cheating results in unethical behavior, while others believe that the pressure for students to succeed creates academic dishonesty and can mess up a the students morals.
    Recent studies have shown 95 percent of high school students have admitted to cheating at some point in their education. Cheating among high school students has risen dramatically since the last 50 years. High school is definitely the most stressful time when it comes to grades. At this point in a student’s education, they are worrying about college and how grades will influence the future. So when under pressure, students will feel more enticed to cheat on a test or big assignment.
    Can increase in academic cheating be blamed on the pressure students feel to succeed? This question runs across many people’s minds. Cheating brings up a very relevant and important question for today’s society. Parents, Teachers, Family, Friends and many others, I believe, can definitely be a huge cause for students to cheat. Students in some cases are held up to high standards in their families or schools. The pressure is raised for students if the people around them are pushing, pressuring, or holding high expectations for them. All of these reasons can cause students to feel like they have to cheat in order to please themselves or others.
    Many will most likely agree that cheating is not good, but some will do it anyway. There are many more negative consequences from cheating than from not. Even some teachers feel pressured for their students to make good grades, so they cheat as well. Cheating is a big deal, "How Will Cheating in School Affect the Rest of Your Life?” has shown research that explains students believe cheating is not right, but do it anyways. People need to learn the consequences of cheating and how it can effect you eventually. Students need to understand that cheating is not the answer to all of their problems. Cheating might resolve issues in the present, but will hurt you in the future.

Work Cited
"ENGR110/210: Perspectives in Assistive Technology - Academic Cheating Fact Sheet." ENGR110/210: Perspectives in Assistive Technology - Academic Cheating Fact Sheet. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Mar. 2016.

"How Will Cheating in School Affect the Rest of Your Life?" Everyday Life. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Mar. 2016.

ProQuest Staff. "At Issue: Cheating." ProQuest LLC. 2016: n.pag. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 13 Mar. 2016.

Schaeffer, Bob. "Address Real Cause of Cheating." USA TODAY. 11 Mar. 2011: A.10. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 13 Mar. 2016.