34506480 10156436478504872 1224985236153040896 o

Okapi

I'm an animal activist and love writing.

4 Facts You Won't Believe About Butterflies

4
    Butterflies are extraordinary creatures which come in a wide variety of colors and sizes. Some are as small as half an inch, and some as big as seven inches!
        The monarch butterfly, one of the most famous butterflies, is the only butterfly to migrate. Every fall, the monarch flies 3000 miles from its home in Canada to its winter home in Mexico. During this long and difficult journey, the monarchs fly up to 100 miles in a single day. One monarch was even able to fly 265 miles in a day!
        Another amazing fact about monarchs is that they don’t have two, but twelve thousand eyes, and like all other butterflies, they don’t have eyelids!  Butterflies not only see color, but ultra violet light.
        Most people think that a butterfly’s diet consists of only nectar from flowers, but they also eat rotten fruit, animal poop, and decaying bodies!
        Butterflies also come in extraordinary colors and patterns, such as the glass winged butterfly, with transparent wings, and the eighty eight butterfly which is black with a white 88 on its wings. These patterns aren’t only for beauty, but help a butterfly to camouflage with its surroundings. The dead leaf butterfly’s wings look like a giant, dead leaf.
        Butterflies are amazing, beautiful creatures and there are thousands of species to explore!

• AbigailSauble

Eye-catching title. ;) Also, 12,000 eyes?? Yeesh ... getting correction glasses for those guys would be awful. =P

Was definitely unaware of the number of eyes a monarch butterfly has :DDD I love to see pieces like this :DDD

• Lumisade

Okay, I love this a lot. I love seeing other people write about what they're passionate about. It's just so awesome. I did not know these butterfly facts, but I am very happy to know them now. Very well done!

• Kahasai

Fun facts! Although, I knew 50% of the facts. I didn't know how far monarch butterflies travel and I didn't know about their eyes. Thanks for sharing!