Lumisade

Lumisade

A humble young storyteller who loves sunny days, brightly colored cacti, the ocean, and you.

Hallo!
I'm a young storytellin' gal just over a month shy of being an actual, legal adult . . . that's a scary thought.
My writing passion is fiction/high fantasy, but every now and then I pop out an edgy poem or two about my feelings.
I am also a theatre kid. 100%. If writing is my passion, then acting is my dream.
I just love to tell good stories any way I can.

Hey fellow Christians. Listen up.

6
Yo.
If you're a Christian like me, stick around. I got something to say.
I'm about to make a few statements that might seem contradictory to what some of the Christian community would like you to believe, but if you look in the Bible, you'll find that I'm right.
So here goes. Listen up.
It is not up to you to make judgments on other people's lifestyles.
It is not your place to condemn others.
It is not your duty to "save" them.
You want to disagree with someone else's lifestyle choices? Fine. That's totally okay. Do that. The world won't want you to disagree with them, but it is absolutely within your rights as a human being to disagree with another person's choices.
But you think it's okay to condemn them? You think you have the right to tell them how to live their lives? Honey, back off. That is not your calling. That is not what you're supposed to do here.
Stop forgetting that everyone else in this world is just as much a human as you.

Y'all know the story of the adulteress that Jesus saved in John 8? Imma tell it to you.

"Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. Early in the morning he came again to the temple. All the people came to him, and he sat down and taught them. The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst, they said to him, "Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. Now in the Law, Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do you say?" This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to the, "Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her." And once more he bent down and wrote on the ground. But when they heard it, they went away one by one, beginning with the older ones, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him. Jesus stood up and said to her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" She said, "No one, Lord." And he Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you; go, and from now on sin no more."

Y'all catching my drift here?

This woman was caught in the sin of adultery. A sin which, back in Old Testament times, was punishable by death.
But Jesus was not sent into the world to condemn the world, was He?
No. He was not. The Bible even says so, in John 3.
"For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through Him."
Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you."

Neither do I condemn you.

Salvation is not brought on by condemnation, people.

If Jesus Himself would not condemn this woman, than who are we to condemn the world?

That is not our duty here.
Our duty on this Earth, in this day and age, is simply this.

To Love one another.

Listen! Do you have any idea how many times that shows up in the Bible??

1 John 4:11
"Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another."
John 13:34
"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you are also to love one another."
1 Thessalonians 4:9
"Now concerning brotherly love you have no need for anyone to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love one another,"
Romans 12:10
"Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor."
John 15:12
"This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you."
Hebrews 10:24
"And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works,"
John 15:17
"These things I command you, so that you will love one another."
1 John 3:11
"For this is the message that you have heard from the beginning, that we should love one another."
1 John 4:7
"Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God."
1 Peter 1:22
"Having purified your souls by obedience to the truth for a sincere brotherly love, love one another earnestly from a pure heart,"
John 13:35
"By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."

There's more. A lot more. Shall I continue?

You ought to have gotten the point by now. It is not a Christian's duty to condemn their fellow human and child of God for their sins.

It is simply our duty to love one another.

Don't worry about "saving" someone else; you can't do that. No one on Earth has the power to save someone else. Only God can do that.
Just love.
That's our duty.
Because if someone who has been hurt beyond belief in their life sees someone who loves others as diligently as we are called to do by Jesus Himself, that is what will open their hearts to the unimaginable, all-encompassing love of God.
Not some horrible fire-and-brimstone "you're going to Hell" soapbox spiel.
Not some high-and-mighty "holier than thou" attitude.

Just. Love.
Just. Love.
Just. Love.

So. Go therefore, and love someone today.

Thank you.

• Lumisade

Thank you so much!! I think you did a wonderful job with your piece too; in fact, I had been wanting to write a piece like this for some time, but reading your wonderful piece is what spurred me on to do it! So thank you so much!

This is exactly what I was trying for with my piece. Love. Not hate or condemnation. Just love. I think you did a wonderful job in getting this across and thank you for putting this out there, like @paperbird has said tons of time, there's no reason why we can't love each other and disagree at the same time.

• Lumisade

After all the hate that I've seen come from people who *claim* to be part of the Christian faith, I really felt like I had to.

• paperbird

i know it's not my place, but thank you for writing this.

• Lumisade

Absolutely! That is included in loving others! That's part of the gig too, as is found in the Bible.
    But assuming that we are any less sinful than anyone else is not biblically okay, because we're not. That kind of mindset is what turns unbelievers AWAY from Christianity.

• Ryder

Yes, it is our duty to love, but it is also our duty to spread the word of God and help people to understand his love and ours.