Eaccd622 66c5 48ab 878f 4aff3503487b

paperbird

read footnotes

my favorite books ever

9
my warning to you: some of this is y.a. trash.
i rate everything on a 1-10 system.  i wrote a piece about it; you can find it here if you like (it was written back in the days i used uppercase).
without further ado:

9/10 harry potter series (j.k. rowling) - personal bible, filled with everything i love about life.  i'll say no more; i don't think i can fit into a single piece.
8/10 the book thief (markus zusak) - i read it for school (i'm shallow like that) and i absolutely adored the lovely language.  it contains wonderful use of everything figurative.  it's positively heartbreaking, as well.
8/10 the penderwicks series - this novel set is pretty much for eight-year-olds, but i will not be ashamed by the fact that i still love it––it's multi-generational.  purely entertaining, filled with wonderful family dynamic.
7/10 flowers for algernon (daniel keyes) - the short story is actually better than the novel, but both are wonderful and satisfactory.  what amazed me most about algernon was the use of progression in simple things such as punctuation and spelling––it's one clever way to tell a story.  and the ending will rip your heart out.
7/10 the screwtape letters (c.s. lewis) - it's one of his adult books and it's hilarious, interesting, and clever.  technically a christian book but accessible to any religion just for the humor and lovely writing.
7/10 amours de voyage (arthur hugh cloth) - you're lucky if you can get your hands on this one; it's not entirely in print anymore.  it's one of those renaissance books about pretty women and architecture.  told in letters and very beautiful.
7/10 sapiens (yuval noah havari) - nonfiction.  i read it out of an obsession with anthropology and it's just brilliant.  you don't have to be a scholar to understand it; the language is easy and humorous.  it's a remarkable book.
6/10 cormoran strike series (robert galbraith) - for any harry potter fans, these are works of j.k. rowling, written under a pseudonym.  they're adult crime novels and can be quite grisly (stay away from career of evil unless you've got a stomach for twenty-first century jack the ripper) but the dynamics between characters are what makes this crime novel set so interesting.
6/10 bridge of clay (markus zusak) - nowhere near as good as the book thief but still beautiful and provocative in essence.  it's riddled with flashbacks and interesting writing.  a bit slow but worth it.  the ending is tragic, classic zusak.
6/10 his dark materials series - young adult but much better written than its genre––very interesting.  there's a lot of anti-religious stuff though, so you might want to avoid it if you're bothered by that.
6/10 what happened (hillary clinton) - i know this book might not be compatible with a lot of people, but it's a great take on the 2016 election and it gives you insight into the minds and daily lives of politicians.
6/10 the once and future king (e.b. white) - this is a compilation of four arthurian novels.  some of the subject matter is adult, but i read it when i was eleven, so it's not horrendously inappropriate.  the plots are wonderful.  my favorite was the ill-made knight, although it involves a lot of insufferable romantic drama.  still a great read.
6/10 the girl who drank the moon (kelly barnhill) - this is a standout novel from its genre––it's like a rare orchid among daisies––delightful and magical.  you might say it's preteen crap, but it's good preteen crap.
i'm not trying to enforce reading on anyone; my list is about a half a mile long and i hate it when people give me recommendations.  but if you've read any of these books please tell me in the comments––i love ranting about these things, i'd be delighted to have a conversation.

• pencils.and.paper.roses

Hi! :) you expressed interest in a concept I’d posted under the title “STORY IDE, ANY THOUGHTS”, which I’ve just written the first chapter of. If you don’t have interest, feel free to ignore this. The link is below :)

Great list here! :) I’ll definitely be adding some of these to my personal TBR.

• Kahasai

They actually said that "your account has been removed from Write the World."

Also, if you want to see the comments, you can view the version you published by clicking the link of the version and scrolling down to the bottom

• she's-got-a-story

someone else on this planet liked bridge of clay??? whattttt???

• paperbird

the book thief is so amazing. everyone compliments it for its political-ness but really i think the prose is the most impressive. just everything he writes is impossibly perfect.

• weirdo

I've read the Book Theif and just started reading Bridge of Clay! They're both amazing!

• TheOriginalEliza™

I just finished reading The Book Thief! Completely agree with your choices :)

• paperbird

the third one is definitely worth reading––it's as good the first two in every right. the fourth is eh and you shouldn't read the fifth unless you're determined to finish the series––it's kind of worthless.

• Lumisade

Sadly, I have only read the first two, because I was told the later ones weren't as good, so I didn't buy them. But now I want to, just for the sake of closure. It feels weird to only have part of a series.

• paperbird

YES THE PENDERWICKS
    i loved loved loved loved loved the first three books; i could read them over and over. gardam street is excellent, though i think my favorite is point mouette. i didn't like the fourth quite as much, just because everyone was so much older. i didn't like the fifth at all; it came out recently but it didn't possess the same kind of charm.

• Lumisade

*one of my other favorites

• Lumisade

*flips a table* T H E P E N D E R W I C K S.

The Penderwicks was my freaking childhood. Specifically, The Penderwicks On Gardam Street. That was one of the very few books that I could read from cover to cover, flip back to the beginning, and start all over again without ever getting tired of it.
    And good golly, Flowers For Algernon. That book, like one of the other favorites, The Goats, had one of the most unsatisfying endings out of any book I had ever read. But in a good way, somehow. It just always leaves me feeling dark and depressed. XD

• paperbird

yes!!!!!!!!

• Johanna

And there's no need to mention the beauty of The Book Thief and HP <3 <3

• Johanna

H I S D A R K M A T E R I A L is A R T
    and I love it so much!!!!!!!!!!!

• Ellie!

His Dark Materials is amazing!! EVERYONE SHOULD READ THOSE!!
    I've tried to make a list of my favorite books, but there's always like a thousand on there.

• Christy Wisdom

Ooh, C.S. Lewis is such a good writer. Screwtape Letters is a good book :)

• Harlow

You've got great taste and your other works really moved me, but I didn't think a review would do my thoughts justice.

• paperbird

@julius caesar i think screwtape letters and narnia are very different style- and complexity-wise, but i would definitely recommend it.
    @loveletters YOU NEED TO REREAD THE BOOK THIEF. especially because your writing is so amazing; you would definitely appreciate zusak’s style.

• Julius Caesar

man, i loved (and still do) c.s lewis' ~chronicles of narnia~. i'm excited to read ~the screwtape letters~ once I get some time to read on my own again.

• loveletterstosappho

and also the book thief but i read it when i was younger and couldn't truly appreciate it. i'll need to reread it sometime.

• loveletterstosappho

i've read the harry potter series (obviously) and also the girl who drank the moon. it was an enjoyable read!