Photo on 22 2 16 at 09.36  2

annabelgray

Variation Singlish

PROMPT: Local Tongue

1
My favourite variation of English is Singlish. This could be due to the fact that I have grown up in a culture that uses this slang on a daily basis. When I hear my friends shout, "OI! Come and sit here la! You don’t got eyes is it!" or "Woi watch what you're doing la. You dumb ah. Use your head.", the phrases would give me a sense of comfort and security, making me feel at home. You are probably wondering, "what? Those are such insulting phrases!" To me however, these are signs that I am around the people I love, the people whom I have grown up with and who are able to connect with me over Singapore's culture. When I talk to my cousins in Australia, sometimes my inner Singaporean comes out as I will say things like, "eh what are you saying la, use your brain abit can annot?" They would look at me for a really long time and then proceed to shout, "watcha say to me ya bogan? Do ya wanna fight moite?", using their form of Australian slang. I would then feel extremely bad and explain what I meant in proper English: "Can you repeat what you said, I did not really catch what you said" and they would apologise. It's funny how the usage of Singlish comes naturally to me and others do not even understand what I am saying, but I hope that I will always speak this language as it reminds me of my childhood and my culture.

1

Good day. It’s my pleasure meeting you, and that you enjoying your day? Can you allowed me to introduce my self to you. My name is Kine Gaye . I will like to get acquainted with you. please I'll be glad if you write to me or send your email address direct at my private email address (kinegaye00@hotmail.com) because i have some important thing i will like to discuss with you privately.
    Hope to hear from you soon.
    Kine.