madi.frankenhoff6

Should Children's Beauty Pageants Be Banned?

Madi Jo Frankenhoff
Miss Sahly
College Writing and Research
10 March 2016

Beauty pageants have been around for a while. They are used mainly for entertainment. Beauty Pageants are meant for the most beautiful girls and boys. They are a time for people to show off their beauty, but are they teaching young girls to not feel comfortable in their natural state? Are beauty pageants teaching young girls that heavy make-up, high heels, and expensive dresses are they only way to feel beautiful? Many people believe that this is true. They believe that children's beauty pageants are bad because they teach girls that lots of make up is good. Others believe that beauty pagaents being banned should not be our worry right now. They believe there are other things we should focus on first.
    I believe that children's beauty pageants should be banned to a certain point. I believe that putting all the heavy make-up and high heels on your child is the parents choice, but I also believe that under a certain age, kids should not be exposed to all that. Beauty pageants are teaching children that the more make up you have on, the more talented you are, and the prettier your clothes are, the better you are. "Girls who are sexualized early will tend to gather their self-worth as an adult based on their appearance' (Cartwright). Beauty pageants are teaching young girls that beauty is everything and that personality is nothing. We should be teaching young girls that personality is everything and that beauty is nothing. These young children are being exposed to heavy make-up, big hair, and expensive clothes way to early. They should learn to be comfortable in their own skin, but all of this is teaching them that it is better to have make-up on and their hair all done. Which is untrue.
    On the other side of this argument, people believe that beauty pageant should not be banned. They believe that banning children's beauty pageants would not accomplish anything but protest and disapproval. They say that just because some people do not like them does not mean they should be banned. "Beauty pageants do not involve illegal activities, unlike sports. In some sports athletes use illegal drugs to make them preform better. These sports do not get banned so why should beauty pageants be banned" (KaitouKID). These people also believe that banning beauty pageants should not be our biggest concern right now in the US. There are a number of other thing that should be banned before we ban beauty pageants. 
    In conclusion I believe that beauty pageants should be banned due to their false teaching of beauty to young girls, but there are also others who believe that beauty pageants should not be banned. These people also have a valid point to why they should not be banned, but I strongly believe that beauty pageants should be banned in the United States of America. 
Healy, Michelle. "Could Child Beauty Pageants Be Banned in the USA?" USA Today. Gannett, 25 Sept. 2013. Web. 13 Mar. 2016.
"Should Childhood Beauty Pageants Be Banned?" Should Childhood Beauty Pageants Be Banned? N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Mar. 2016.

1