Lumisade

A humble young storyteller who loves sunny days, brightly colored cacti, the ocean, and you.

Hallo!
I'm a young storytellin' gal just over a month shy of being an actual, legal adult . . . that's a scary thought.
My writing passion is fiction/high fantasy, but every now and then I pop out an edgy poem or two about my feelings.
I am also a theatre kid. 100%. If writing is my passion, then acting is my dream.
I just love to tell good stories any way I can.

Hi. I Have Been Hurt By Vaccines

Hello.
I am Lumi. I am 17. I am unvaccinated. And I do not plan to change that, because vaccines almost destroyed my mind.
When I was an infant, my mother vaccinated us kids. She had begun to doubt the validity of the claims drug companies made that vaccines are totally harmless, but she hadn't done enough research yet to justify not vaccinating me. So to the doctor's office we went.
I'm told I was about 8 months old when I received the vaccine that would damage parts of my mind and shape how I think and function for the rest of my life. It was a hepatitis vaccine.
Less than an hour after receiving the vaccine, my mom noticed that something was very wrong with infant me. My whole body broke out into a horrible, red rash. And I started crying, and didn't stop. Now before you roll your eyes and say something like, "Babies cry, big deal. It's what they do," please just shut up and listen for a minute. This was not one of those "babies cry" moments. This was, I cried almost non-stop for months. After receiving that vaccine, it was like I was a different child. And as I grew older, it was clear that other developmental issues were starting to arise.
I was an abnormally angry, moody child. Abnormally. From a very young age, I threw tantrums so violent that my parents had to learn a safe way to restrain me so I wouldn't injure them. I was abnormally sensitive to loud noises; I was terrified of flushing toilets and vacuums for far longer than any normal child should be. I was extremely sensitive to textures. I felt claustrophobic in most of the clothes I wore, but felt perfectly fine wrapped up tight in a soft blanket. As I got older, I had trouble remembering things my mom told me to do, like simple tasks. She would tell me in her bedroom to go empty the dishwasher, and by the time I got to the kitchen, I had completely forgotten what I was supposed to do.
This. Was. Not. Normal.
When I was very little, I went to an equine therapy class to help with my development. I went through vision therapy at around age 8 to try to create new pathways in my brain that would allow me to function better. And it worked, but not completely. And we still weren't sure what exactly my problem was.
And then, in my teens, my mom learned about Sensory Processing Disorder.
And she discovered that I had been given Sensory Processing Disorder from a vaccine.
The truth about vaccines is that they don't cause autism or other negative effects like SPD to random people. They cause negative effects in people who have a mutation in a certain gene that, when not mutated, allows your body to process the heavy metals contained in vaccines. But when mutated, it can't do that. I have that mutation. Everyone who has suffered mental damage from a vaccine has that gene. But do the drug companies want you to know that? Absolutely not. Not in a million years. Drug companies are not out to help you, people. They want your money. They use that money to fund political campaigns for people who will reassure you that vaccines are totally safe so that the drug companies will keep funding them. It's a vicious cycle.
Get it through your heads, people. Vaccines are not completely safe for everyone. Stop silencing voices like mine from people who have experienced the negative effects that vaccines can have. Stop calling for people like my mom who is no longer pro vaccine to be punished for her choices. She knows what she went through, having to parent me. The rest of you have no idea. You have no idea what went through and still struggle with on a day to day basis. My mind does not function like everybody else's. And I will have to live with that, for the rest of my life.

I have been hurt by vaccines.

Stop telling me to be quiet.

1

• loveletterstosappho

you convey your point well and from reading the comments, i'm glad you understand that a middle ground is necessary and that you're not one of the people who says dumb shit like "if vaccines are good for you why can't you drink them." however, i think that your story actually emphasizes the need for vaccines for people who CAN be vaccinated, while proving that more cautions need to be taken in further developing vaccines and figuring out who can and can't be vaccinated. since you can't be vaccinated, you're likely more vulnerable to disease, similar to the immuno-compromised, meaning you have to rely on herd immunity. your reason for not being able to be vaccinated is different from that of people who want to live ""organic""" lives and are merely jumping on a trendy bandwagon. thank you for sharing your story.

• Lumisade

@Kahasai, amen to all of that. I'm with you there. The problem of pro-vax or anti-vax is not as black and white as people make it sound. There needs to be a middle ground, not exclusively one or the other.

• Kahasai

I'm in the middle about vaccines. I believe in the middle, actually. While I think kids who go to school and are costantly exposed to illnesses should be vaccinated, I don't think they need the dozens of vaxxes they are receiving, since there are far more people who have a reaction like yours than actually get sick because they weren't vaxxed (take the measles in state of WA; my dad did the math and the measles effected 0.000085% of the population of the US).

If you can't tell, I'm not vaccinated. Less overdoses of vaxxes, more opennesss about the side effects, more transparency anout the ingredients.

• Lumisade

Thank you all so much for your encouraging words!! I really appreciate all the feedback, it means a lot to me! Especially from people who don't agree with my opinions but still respect it; I'm so happy that everybody from both sides has been nothing but kind and respectful concerning this piece. Thank you so much!!

• graceforsythe

I really like how powerfully you conveyed your message. Although I do not completely agree with your argument, I respect your opinion because of the way you presented it. Good job!

• Mary Wall

I'm unvaccinated as well. My mom chose not to vaccinate any of us, so I've been saved from what you went through. I don't think I'll vaccinate my kids either, from seeing all the harmful things it does. There are good sides, but the bad ones are still very clearly there as well. Good job on this!

• .audrey michelle.

i loved how powerful your argument is! good job :D

• Lumisade

I do want to make it clear, I'm not 100% against vaccines. My quarrel is with the companies that make them, not the vaccines themselves.

• Lumisade

I totally respect your opinion. I'm kind of on the middle of the road myself. Vaccines can stop a disease from spreading, and that's wonderful. I just wish the companies that manufacture them would be honest about what's in them, and that they might potentially be dangerous for some people.

• green.eyes.gurl

I love that you shared your story and provided valuable information about vaccines at the same time. I was not completely aware about the pro-/anti-vaccine debate, so I'm going to do research so I have an opinion to discuss things with you. I do see, however, what weirdo said, and going off of what little knowledge I have, I agree with them.

• weirdo

I think that it's important for people to realize there are negative effects to vaccines. Many people blame parents for not having there kids take them, but they don't know the full story. That's why I'm kinda in the middle about the whole vaccines debate. On one hand, I don't want an illness to spread because certain people won't take vaccines. On the other, I don't think anyone should have to go through the experiences that you've gone through