Photo

D-Thor

BUCKLE YOUR SEAT BELT BECAUSE YOU'RE IN FOR ONE AMAZING ROLLER COASTER OF WRITING. FROM THE MOMENT I STEP FOOT INTO MY COLLEGE WRITING AND RESEARCH CLASSROOM 100% OF MY WRITING MAGIC IS BEING FIRED DIRECTLY INTO YOUR BLOODSTREAM.

Online Teaching: The Path to the Future

Dylan Thorson
Ms. Sahly
College Writing and Research
14 March 2016
                                                           Online Teaching: The Path to the Future
    The world in these last 20 years has become much more connected and much more electronic. Recently, electronics have worked their way into our school system. While it has started off slowly, Schulten reports that “More than a million students, from kindergarten to 12th grade, are taking online classes” (Schulten). This increase in online students has raised many questions as to the effectiveness of online teaching for students. While some may disagree with this method, the remainder of this essay will reveal just how useful online courses can be to students of all ages.
    Every student is different. No matter how much effort a teacher puts into their classroom teaching, there will still be some students that struggle. “Online learning offers another way to help students who may not learn as well in conventional methods” (Benefits of Online Learning). Allowing kids to take their classes online should be seen as just another method by which to help students who are having trouble grasping a particular subject. Snyder informs us that “ Students need to determine if online study is an option for them because not everyone does well with this type of study… They can do this through asking questions such as weather or not they can learn independently or how organized they are with their time” (Snyder). Just as with any method of teaching, online teaching works better with some students than others, but there are other factors that set online teaching apart from traditional methods.
    The next benefit that online classes offer students is the immense flexibility it provides. Flexibility can be seen in online learning first through the issue of location. College students especially tend to have busy schedules. Many students have to balance work with their schooling, which can prove difficult at times, however, online schooling can help relieve the stress put onto those students. Taking online classes can make education accessible to anyone anywhere with internet access, often at any time that works best for them. Online classes also allow colleges and universities to enroll many more students that they could conventionally. Though many believe that everyone should physically attend their classes, Snyder tells us that many colleges simply don’t have enough money or space to enroll everyone at their physical college campus, but online classes offer a way to enroll students that live very far away at a minimal cost to schools (Snyder). The flexibility in location and time provided by online schooling is beneficial for both the students and the school providing it.
    Through offering another way that students can improve their learning experience and allowing the classes more flexibility to fit into the schedule of the students, online classes have come up with many of the answers to the age old problems of schooling. No one method of teaching is going to fix every problem, and it is true that some kids do not learn as well with online teaching as they would with traditional methods, but online classes serve a valuable role in modern schools and will continue to serve that role in the foreseeable future.

Works Cited
"Benefits of Online Learning |." The Benefits of Online Classes. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 Feb. 2016.
Schulten, Katherine. "Is Online Learning as Good as Face-to-Face Learning?" The Learning Network Is Online Learning as               Good as FacetoFace Learning Comments. N.p., 2015. Web. 28 Feb. 2016.
Snyder, Tom. "The Benefits of Online Learning." The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, 2015. Web. 28 Feb. 2016.