ShelbieAnn

Gymnastics is a Sport

She stands, persecuted with pure anxiety. Her body trembles as she waits to take the floor. She is surrounded by so many other determined gymnasts competing for the all-around champion at the Minnesota State Gymnastics Tournament. She is experiencing every emotion any other sports player would experience at a state tournament. The crowd in the stands is cheering with whole contempt. The crowd is bigger than anyone ever suspected. Gymnastics usually never has a serious crowd! Some people are determined that gymnastics isn't a sport. It is merely someone's opinion to think that. In all reality, gymnastics is a sport and it overrides some sports in terms of difficulty and determination.
    Gymnastics isn't a sport that comes easy. It takes skill, determination, and time. It's just like any other sport. Other sports like cross country, track, golf, etc. takes skill. A person can't expect to go out and get a hole-in-one in golf if they have never learned the skills to do so, just like a person can't expect to go and do a full bar routine that will score an 8.5 when the person has never laid hands on the uneven bars. Sports are all about learning the skills of the sport and executing them at the best of your ability. Gymnastics is just like any other sport because there are skills that are to be learned before going out and executing them.
    Some think that gymnastics is easy. Well gymnastics is far from easy. It is one of the hardest, most dangerous, and time consuming sports. One slip on the beam and you could land flat on your face or not getting high enough to do a double-back and a person could land directly on their neck and be paralyzed for the rest of their life. It's point blank a difficult sport that takes precision and accuracy to execute a skill properly. A person spends practices repeating skills, bending their bodies in ways bodies aren't made to bend, and working through mental games. It can take so much time just to be able to learn one skill and be able to execute it at a competing level. You can go out and run a race in track without having much practice but you can't just go out and do a floor routine with little practice. It just doesn't work that way. This just shows people that gymnastics is tough and takes time, and I know it takes time because I have taken many gymnastics seasons just to get a full on floor.
    Many believe gymnastics is not a sport but no matter what, it is. Just because someone says it looks easy or that it doesn't take much to be in the sport doesn't mean it's not a sport. I am in gymnastics and deal with the difficulties of it. I have more stress with this sport than any other sport I am in. I spend so much time practicing skills and battling mental games. The skills I have learned and somewhat mastered have taken me a long time to master. Gymnastics is a sport and doesn't deserve to be criticized otherwise.