loveletterstosappho

writer of stories, lover of girls

okay this happened freshman year and i wasn't actually that disturbed by it but dissociation makesme think about bones and organs and internal emptiness and those things made me think of this, so. here it is. hella wack and not my usual style

in biology we dissected a pig and i saw myself in its gut

42
spread open so wide its vulnerability
split my heart, too. legs bound, dripping
with formaldehyde. 
squeeze it, says my lab partner, gloved fingers
wrapped around the stomach, so i do. 
its spleen flops uselessly. we jab at it. 
let's name her juliet, says my lab partner,
and pokes a hole through juliet's kidney. 
we broke juliet's rib cage to reach that kidney;
i snapped soft bone to reach that kidney. 

i wonder if i could snap my own rib cage. 

• December 12, 2019 - 9:29am (Now Viewing)

• Jun Lei

writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/156053/version/304928 just something someone had to say about how beautiful this poem is

• acrosstheskysky

hello i am temporarily back (i think my account's going to be disabled in two months for some reason) and i read this and!!!!!!! this is absolutely amazing. utterly incredible. the pig dissection lab was..an experience and i'm very impressed by how you wrote about it!!!

why don't you do those trivial things like contests or q&a's or rants?? anyway, here's wonderwall.
    http://bit.ly/2RRDtGH

• FizzyBaguette

I think rainandsonder captures exactly what I was going to say. You convey such a powerful message within such a short text. This is amazing!

there's something so simple and yet disturbing about this-- or i guess disturbing isn't quite the right word, because in the moment that isn't really what the narrator is feeling. the narrator seems more detached, too disassociated to be chilled or horrified, and there's something about the combination of that and how methodical and factual the piece is up until the last line that makes the reader uneasy or shocked. there's something to be said too about giving the creature that you're dissecting a name, humanizing it as you tear it apart, but i don't have enough brain power right now to go into that. anyway, fantastic work!

• Dmoral13

you seem very popular here on wtw, and i can see why!
    there's a sort of power you have withing pieces like this. you seem to keep things short and compact, but its everything and nothing all at once. the way you ended this left me thinking. i'm definitely looking at more of your writing

• elisa

this is absolutely incredible

• ajamwal

hmm, this is different, but i like it. also, you saw my prompt, and you liked it! that you so much, this really means a lot! !happy writing!

• r|A|i|N

i guess it's just fun to write about pulling apart corpses? hella disturbing too

• r|A|i|N

holy fuck i can relate to this so hard. last year i dissected a sheep brain and it bothered me so much and i wrote a poem just like this on wtw. the formaldehyde imagery, the stabbing, it's like all coming back to me omg

• Upsidownpenguin

very interesting, to say the least, sappho. Your obsession with bones is getting exciting

• Tushar Mandhan

As a medical student, I loved it! Dissections are scary but at the same time exciting.

• Lottifus

I remember these days. My friend cut off the vena cava and put his finger through it and ran around waving his hand at everyone screaming 'LOOK AT MY RING'. Good times.

• weirdo

well this is definitely... what's the word? um, interesting. yea let's go with interesting.

rib cages are nice.