Wipeout37 07 2019 043722.113000

Mia.04

Child of God
Pro-life!
Ravenclaw
Pukwudgie
Athenian
Hunger Games Victor
Candor
Aspiring Author
Creative Thinker
Pianist
Gymnast
Basketball...er
Volleyball...er?

'Don’t let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity.' 1 Timothy 4:12

'Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure.' -Luna Lovegood
'Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light.' -Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore : )

If you need someone for prayer, comment anywhere and I've got your back!

He Cares

9
    "But really, how do you know God is real?"   
    I (and many other Christians) get asked this question a lot, or a question along those lines.
    Think about it. What about the Bible? How could someone have accurately proposed those predictions without a man as righteous and omniscient as God telling them what to predict? Jesus dying on the cross and rising in three days, Kind David's children and grandchildren and great-grandchildren being the descendants of Jesus, Abraham being the father of many nations! 
​    And for evidence that these stories aren't just misinterpreted lies or that someone wrote these predictions down years after they came true and claimed they were told to them by God, I have a true story for you.
    One day, some shepherds entered a cave near the Dead Sea and happened upon some clay jars. Like two-thousand-year-old jars. Inside, they included ancient versions of the Old Testament, scrolls that stated the exact things out bibles today include. And they were as old as Bible times, they had been around since before Jesus was born. These are called the Dead Sea Scrolls.
    Another example; Lee Strobel. He was a strong-willed atheist, firmly convinced that God didn't exist in the slightest. When confronted by his young daughter's near death and his wife's redemption, he sought to prove that it was impossible for such a God to live. 
    And he failed, miserably.
    No matter how hard Lee Strobel tried, he couldn't seem to prove God wrong. God brought an extremely adamant atheist to Christ, and he is now a devoted Christian, preaching the Word to millions of people with very real conviction.
    The 'Big Bang Theory' involves hundreds, thousands of coincidences that happened all at once to create the universe, the perfect conditions for humans to live on Earth! Which makes more sense? Choosing to believe that the beautiful blue sky and the glistening green grass is all God's perfect design and that there's someone who cares up there in heaven? Someone who is thinking lovingly about each and every one of us and the days we blessedly get to enjoy? Or choosing to believe that the world and everything in it was made from thousands upon thousands of careless little coincidences built on top of each other?
    I really do hope and pray that any non-believers out there who see this will be impacted, even in the teensiest, tiniest way. I hope this doesn't sound like a bunch of Jesus-loving mumbo jumbo, and you might actually think on this. If you really do want to know more, comment on here and I'll give you my email, I would be overly happy to answer questions!
    Remember that God loves you oh-so-much and it's never too late to be redeemed. He forgives anyone.
He really does care

1

• Mia.04

@Dream impossibilities - Thank you so much! I'm glad you believe the truth too : )

• Dream impossibilities

So true in every way. I love knowing that there are other people who believe the same things as I do. Beautifully written.

• r|A|i|N

thank you for responding!
    i understand your concept of the bible's many books. the idea is particularly strengthened, i think, by the many authors of the long span of chapters. i know different people have varying opinions about exactly who wrote the bible, but i am convinced that it was penned by several people at once. the ideas presented seem to vary with the exact author. for instance, in genesis, the emotions of the characters aren't stated or mentioned, except in the later chapters about jacob, joseph, and the migration to egypt––joseph is then described to be kind of a crybaby, as he is mentioned to have started crying in several instances of high tension. i think it's likely that the person who wrote that particular part of genesis was more partial to emotional characters, and therefore included joseph's elaborate mood swings. another example: satan, whose presence in the bible is intermittent and not cohesive––he isn't mentioned at all in creation and only has a slightly obscure role in later books such as job. i think the idea of satan must have varied per writer, although i would be interested to know what you think about the varying sources of evil mentioned in the bible.
    the morals surrounding your second point about the king are kind of tricky. yes, the egyptians sinned against the jews, an action which is morally wrong, but they did so as a people––there were surely innocents among them. and yet god punished each and every one of them. and we know that god cares about individuality, because he resolves not to destroy sodom and gomorrah if he finds a single innocent living there in genesis. it is also worth mentioning (although here might be where our opinions differ) that throughout all of exodus, god is never mentioned as the only god in the world. he is simply referred to as "god of the hebrews" and it is clear that he merely possesses divinity in relation to his specific people. the first of the ten commandments instructs jews to worship no god but the lord, but this is directed only to the hebrews. therefore the egyptian king did not necessarily do wrong not to acknowledge the hebrew god; it wasn't his god, so he was not concerned with it. i know that this idea contradicts later parts of the bible, particularly the new testament, but it is merely how i view it.
    again, thank you for responding! i realize these comments are long and if you wish to stop the conversation, you can tell me. i just think it's interesting to compare opinions, and i always love hearing other viewpoints.

• Mia.04

Thank you everyone for taking this piece to heart! I can't believe I still have comments on here. And speaking personally to @|r|A|i|N|: I find it interesting that you seem to know the Bible very well and intimately, yet you aren't Christian! : ) To answer your question(s), first of all, the Bible is not technically one book, it is made up of many many books put into one, written over a few thousand years. It's amazing how all of those different stories written through different people have been put together so perfectly by God! Also, God 'made the kind stubborn' to teach Egypt a lesson. They were a sinful nation that had heard of God, yet refused to believe, or even look into the Good News. God was punishing them for being extremely abusive to the Jews, treating them like animals. This in itself is wrong, even without any religion applied to it. If you have any more questions or comments, feel free to do so! Thank you for commenting, all y'all!!

• r|A|i|N

personally (although this is a month old and is likely not to be continued) i see religion more as a connecting piece to our society. imagined orders allow our communities to thrive under shared principles, and i absolutely support christianity. i myself choose not to believe in it, mostly because of the science in the way. that's not to say i don't believe in a greater power––i find it likely that the bigger universe was created by something higher (perhaps something that caused the big bang??). i'm very glad for the christianity, because people with religious morals generally improve the wellbeing in the world. so i'm not going to try to dissuade anyone from their beliefs. i am, however, interested in the arguments you presented in this piece. you included the question "How could someone have accurately proposed those predictions without a man as righteous and omniscient as God telling them what to predict?" and then listed several biblical happenings. i do want to mention, though, that everything you stated occurs in the same book that made the predictions concerning them––so that the tale solves itself. this is similar to, for instance, percy jackson, when the oracle delivers a prophecy to percy that comes true later in the series. but the fact that percy jackson followed up with its own plot doesn't mean that the story is true.
    i've actually read some of the bible myself (i don't attend any christian or jewish institution, but i was curious as to some of the plots). i've read genesis and exodus, parts of leviticus, and i could summarize job, ecclesiastes, revelation, and bits of the four gospels. what i find most curious about the christian/jewish god is the contradictory nature that is implied in many of the texts. in exodus, for example, a fair portion of the book is dedicated to the stubbornness of the egyptian king and his refusal to let the jews go, and therefore he and his people suffer god's various punishments. what's interesting and confusing, though, is the way that this passage is told. in exodus 9:12, it is written in several translations, "But the LORD made the king stubborn." and because of the king's stubbornness, which god apparently created himself, the lord punishes the people. this makes no sense, though: if god made the king stubborn, it is by god's own will that he is punishing a nation full of innocents. and why would god make the king stubborn when he actively wants to free the jews? this treatment of the king seems both cruel and unnecessary to me, and i wonder why god did what he did. was it to prove to his love for his people, or did he simply enjoy the competition?
    this was just something i was thinking about. anyway, thank you for writing this piece. if anyone is still interested in continuing the conversation, i'm happy to elaborate on anything i just said. i hope i didn't offend anybody; i admire every religion and i'm not trying to change anyone's beliefs.

• Jae

this is great! though i didn't read all the other parts of the debate, i thoroughly agree with you, and there are SO many miracles, and signs that humans just couldn't make up. quite honestly, some of the ideas we insert to fill in the blank spaces are funny, because we try so hard. i might suggest that at the end, when you say "careless little coincidences" you maybe use a different voice, or tone, because i know what your talking about, it seems like your kind of mocking that.
    otherwise, this was absolutely terrific. i love finding other God-followers like you, and am glad that you have chosen to speak about your faith!
    :DDDDDD

• Take7

Quite a piece, and quite a debate! Well done everyone. Well done. :)

I know this is from a month ago, but I feel that I should state my beliefs here too (why not?)

I am a Christian and full-heartedly believe in Creation, Jesus, God, heaven, and hell. I believe that the reason humans can't "prove" God exists is because it's something they have to accept through faith, without understanding. Once you have really accepted it, understanding comes. I know this is true because I live it. I can't explain it, but that's because no one can. You only understand once you believe it. Maybe I sound like I'm making excuses for not being able to explain, but I'm not. The best things in life are indescribable.

@Mya.04, rock on! Well written, well debated :DD
    @ViSchultz.07, Good going :D
    @RainAndSonder, you weren't very active in this debate, but good job stating your viewpoint :)
    @paperbird, (no offense) you seem to be searching for more answers than anything else. Might I recommend you this site: answersingenesis.org ? They have excellent resources that should answer many (if not all) of your questions.
    @Quille, good job too. Sorry you're gone :SK

• Mia.04

Technically yes, he's not literally a man. But also technically, God can be anything he wants!

• paperbird

but he’s not literally a man, right? that’s just the pronouns we use to describe him.

• Mia.04

Yesssss Ravenclaws! God is mainly referred to as male because he came to Earth as a man/boy and men were also the leaders in Bible times, so him being a man made him more superior (not in a bad way though) and people would be more willing to follow him (Bible people were rather stereotypical, but that's how it works I suppose). God is both man and eternal being. Yes, no one can really wrap their mind around that, and that's why it's really cool! It's fine if you're curious : )

• paperbird

good point. actually one more question: why is god referred to as male? i thought god didn’t have a physical form (besides jesus) so why is he a he? just wondering.
    oh, and random: i’m ravenclaw too, ravens with eagle symbols for life!

• Mia.04

actually, the evidence is not 'rock solid' : ). The method scientists use to figure out the age of rocks and therefore determine how old the Earth is has been proven wrong many many times. In fact, several times the same rock has been tested using this dating method to see how old it is and scientists got severely different answers each time. And there is rock solid evidence for Jesus, the Bible! I clearly state evidence in my piece and the Bible has proof of Jesus's supernatural influence; he performed miracles on many people. Yes, Muhammad and others clearly existed and had an impact on religion, but their ideas of religion were never proven and their predictions never came true, unlike the predictions in the Bible. I guess this will just be a never-ending battle though. This is exactly why people choose not to believe in God, because some just can't wrap their minds around it! Like I said, me growing up in a Christian household strongly influenced my faith, as for many people. But if we were to continue this conversation it would just be us yelling back and forth at each other, stating our opposite opinions over and over again, simply trying to prove the other wrong, or justify something in ourselves.

• paperbird

but this is where religion hits a block with me: whether or not god created the big bang, there is rock-solid evidence (no pun intended) that the earth is 4.6 billion years old, that humans have existed for two hundred thousand years. those clear facts directly disrupt the bible and they feel more solid than something like belief. in my opinion, of course. if you were to argue that god is real and that he created the big bang, i wouldn't argue with you, because there's evidence to suggest the big bang but there's no evidence that god didn't create it.
    i've reread your piece and i'm wondering where you mention such proof? in terms of proof for christianity, all historians (including atheists and jews and muslims and everything) agree that jesus was a real person who left clear, physical traces in history. but all historians (including atheists and jews and christians and everything) also agree that muhammad, the prophet from islam, was a real person who left clear, physical traces in history. there's no physical evidence that either is supernatural. so why jesus?
    again, no offense intended!! thank you for listening to me ramble.

• Mia.04

paperbird - no offense taken, and you were completely clear! I'm glad we can agree to disagree
    RainAndSonder - actually, there is very good proof of God existing, and I stated that clearly in my piece above! We know this deity is the christian God because there IS that proof out there and no one has been able to prove it wrong. It's a weird way to think about it, but technically God did create the big bang in a way, he created the world! I'm glad you're curious, feel free to ask more questions.

i suppose what i don’t understand about religion is that, well, paperbird’s right, there isn’t proof that there’s no god. but there also isn’t proof that there is a god. and let’s say there were some deity out there that caused the big bang or created the universe— how do you know that the deity is the christian god? sorry if this comes off as rude or anything, i’m just curious.

• paperbird

i understand, really i do. i see why that makes sense and why you choose to follow it. i absolutely see the appeal in becoming religious—it makes you feel safe, loved, guarded, and knowledgeable. and more than just personal benefit—a shared belief allows to connect to those around you and to easily share values. i’ve actually tried becoming religious before, for precisely these benefits—it’s nice to think that god loves everyone for who they are. but, to put it bluntly, common sense kind of got in the way. and the more i heard about the bible the less sure i was i wanted to trust it.
    i hope you can see things through my perspective. to a christian, the ideas of heaven and hell and non-believers being sent to the latter makes sense. to me, it feels like a grounds to discriminate against people of other beliefs. but i will always continue to respect you.
    christianity is the way you view human rights. the bible teaches light and love in every human. in my opinion (remember all of this is just my opinion and i don’t want to offend anyone!!) scientific evidence for liberal humanism (that is, the belief that every human is important) is nonexistent. there’s no religious scripture for the natural universe—fundamental laws yes, such as gravity and evolution and thermodynamics etc etc etc, but (from a nonreligious perspective) the universe doesn’t hand everyone a book of rules about how humans are supposed to behave. for this reason, it is imperative that humans create their own social structures—without constructs such as the bible, or even unethical hierarchy, there’s chaos, no order. so i believe that christianity is and has been a good thing, but we’re kind of stepping out of it as we further progress into the scientific religion.
    sorry if i offended anybody!!! i respect everything you just said. if i was unclear throughout any of that (wrote it in a rush) please tell ,e so i can specify. thanks!

@paperbird, you're right; the world isn't as simple as good and evil. That's why God gave us a choice: to be saved by His Son's sacrifice or not.
    "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." John 3:16
    People who are saved by Jesus aren't 'good' or perfect at all; they still sin because they're human and humans can't help sinning. But they have chosen to accept Jesus as their savior and therefore are accepted into heaven after death. Those who reject God, no matter how good a life they might have lived, go to hell (apology for any offense caused). That's why it's a Christian's job to spread the Word and make sure that everybody has had a chance to accept Jesus as their savior.

• paperbird

but isn’t it odd that even though heavenly father believes in the values of buddhism he sends all buddhists to hell?
    i’m sorry if i came off as judgemental or critical.

• Mia.04

I was referring to the earliest times that Christians believe in, about 6,000 years ago. According to Christianity, your idea of ancient times likely never even existed. Homo sapiens never existed either. 10,000 years ago (if the concept of time even existed before there was anything but God), God was planning his beautiful creation of Earth. And I would just like to point out that you were just recently criticizing me for being judgmental and rude, and now your words indicate much more rudeness towards Christians than I ever meant towards you.
    Just another example of imperfect humans I guess!
    These two categories you speak of, that's not really how it works in my opinion. We may see it differently just because you are an Atheist and I've ultimately grown up in a Christian household, but I guess that is how a lot of people interpret it. If you think of other religions, they are all twisted versions of Christianity in a way. Pretty much all of them have some version of 'Noah's Ark' in their bibles or mythology or whatever. And Buddhists are a great example. They have a unique understanding of what humans are made for, helping others and themselves instead of disrespecting the world and our own bodies, which were made in God's image! But yes, I agree that especially in this world today, there are many many more sides than just good and evil! And that is exactly why we need our heavenly Father to show us how to appreciate each other and the world as a whole.

• paperbird

which ancient times are you referring to? i was talking about ten thousand years ago––after the agricultural revolution but before any massive religion took shape. or any time before that, now you mention it. what was god doing before homo sapiens existed––sorting apes into good and evil?
    additionally, the world is not black and white. religion doesn't shape a person, and i find it incredibly problematic that there are only 2 categories: good guys and bad guys. there are always more sides, more perspective. maybe in heaven or whatever it's as simple as god and satan, but on earth things are different. it's unfair to choose just heaven or hell for a person. think of the different religions. in buddhism, for example, people seek fulfillment but giving up greedy tendencies and finding a middle way. some buddhists are incredibly moral people who do much good in their lives, but oh no, they don't believe in the right god, they rot in hell.

• Mia.04

actually, in ancient times people were much less ignorant of God, just some chose not to accept him. People that were Christian had very close relationships with God, and some even had the experience of being close friends with him! And in objection to your point on heaven and hell, God is not picky in my opinion. In fact, he is extremely gracious to be even giving us a choice of being able to go to heaven and live in eternal paradise. God could just choose to forget about us stupid humans and let us all suffer forever in hell, but instead, he opens the option to recognize him as a loving, heavenly savior and live with him in eternal life.

• paperbird

i guess by "spacetime" i just mean the greater aspects of space, past our solar system. i agree about telescopes; the answer is pretty clear. using this logic and your explanation in the last paragraph, do you believe in alien life, or do you believe that every galaxy is devoid of life except for planet earth in the milky way?

i suppose i see probability where you see god; i can understand your reasoning for believing that planet earth is unique because of god, but i can only look at the facts––earth acquired bacteria because the conditions were suitable, and due to a rare parasitic relationship involving two pieces of bacteria six or seven hundred million years ago, more complex life forms started, which evolved to withstand ice ages, asteroids, and climate change; animals under the genus homo appeared one hundred sixty thousand years ago, and homo sapiens were the winner in the evolutionary race because a series of mutations allowed the cognitive revolution to happen––in other words, homo sapiens were able to speak intricate languages and create art, etc. and we've been developing without significant genetic alterations since then, slowly getting smarter. we'll probably die out in ten thousand years or so.

i think the only part i really disagree with you is the part about heaven and hell and other religions. i like to think of christianity as a religion of kindness and moral rights, but believing that other religions end in hell, in all frankness, appears to be fearful intolerance. people of other religions are living just as fulfilled lives as most christians. if god is really so picky that he only sends the people who fully and completely recognize him, i don't think that he's a good god to worship, and definitely not one over two billion people should be following. if there is a god, i like to think he judges people based on how kind and moral their lives were, not based on which religion they chose. i mean, think of ancient times! humans used to be ignorant of christianity. so what, would god send all of them to hell just because of their intellect?

• Mia.04

paperbird- as Quille said, God is constantly expanding the universe, so yes, Christians believe in multiple galaxies (you can obviously see neverending planets and stars through a telescope, so I don't see a reason why not to believe in galaxies :) ), but I don't understand what you mean exactly be 'spacetime', there are several implied meanings to that term. Also, just thought I would mention that other faiths are not quite as fulfilling as the Christian religion because the only religion that sends you to heaven and not hell is Christianity.
    One last thing; in your argument about the many coincidences that did not stack up for the planets that are uninhabitable, that is just more evidence that we are blessed by the Almighty God in having ended up on the single planet with the perfect conditions for humans to live by.

• paperbird

also, i was rereading this piece (i'm kind of bored right now... i should be doing homework but what the heck) and looking at what you said about thousands of coincidences built on top of each other. i completely understand your logic there––the incredible planet earth does seem a bit too good to be true, and consequently people think it's a work of god. but i see it differently. i don't know how you view the universe––like, do you believe in galaxies and the larger concept of spacetime?––but if you look around at what surrounds us you can see plenty of examples where all of the coincidences that formed life didn't stack up. think of all of the planets that surround earth––all lifeless and inhabitable to life––and the stars. i'm not an expert at astronomy, but the stars that we can see from telescopes either don't have planets or have very rough, rocky planets that aren't habitable either. all around our galaxy there are stars without planets or without planets that have life. there might even be some planet relatively near us that has prokaryotic bacteria, but it still doesn't come close to earth.
    the glimpse we have at the universe now is proof of the probabilities––planet earth is the way it is because we are literally one in a million, and we can see the other 999,999 if we look around us. why are we, as humans, so privileged to live on this planet? because there's no one living on those other planets, so the only way we could exist is to live on the perfect one.

• paperbird

@quille pardon my ignorance; i don't know that much about religious lifestyle. also if i do convert to a religion, it might not be christianity. there are other faiths that are as fulfilling.
    i'm reading a book about psychological anthropology right now––the study of humans and what makes us different from other animal species. one of the greatest differences between homo sapiens and chimpanzees are that we humans use social constructs and the power of imagination to bond. whether or not you believe in jesus, it's common fact that ancient deities, like zeus or loki, do not exist except perhaps in marvel movies and rick riordan novels. but believers in greek and norse mythology long ago were able to bond and create strong alliances because of their religion, which was, arguably, a mere construct. that's how i view modern religion, too. and i know we may never see eye to eye––i'm just putting my opinion out there.

• Mia.04

paperbird- Quille is correct in many ways. And as I said in the argument I wrote right above, Lee Strobel was a hard-core atheist who had nothing to do with God up until his daughter nearly died. I never said I expected someone to- just like that- convert to a perfectly religious Christian. It is most definitely a process. Although yes, having a Christian background does affect your religion strongly

I think that is definitely part of it, but I had an atheist uncle (he died a few years ago :S Also, I don't go to church. People always assume that if you're Christian, you go to church, but my family hasn't gone to church in about ten years.

• paperbird

i think the difference is background. (correct me if i'm wrong) your entire family is probably christian, whereas religious roots in my family are not at all prevalent. neither of my parents are associated with religion and i've been to about two church services in my entire life. i can't suddenly decide to believe in the supernatural, just like you can't decide to suddenly not believe in it.

@paperbird, The methods used to date rocks at millions of years old have been proven wrong many, many times. In fact, there are no accurate dating methods that we can use to measure the age of the earth (I wrote a paper on this, btw) Another thing is that it says in the Bible that God is expanding the universe--and the radio signals prove that!
    And our ancestors were just as human as we are today; we did not evolve from animals. We are created in the image of God--hence us being the only mammals to walk on two legs as you pointed out in the comment on my piece :)
    Also, are you saying that I can't believe in creationism and know that there is more to the universe than earth???? Because I'm pretty sure I can, but your wording implies that I can't. Not trying to pick on you at all, just suggesting that "it just hits a wall when you realize that there’s more to the universe than earth. " is incorrect and probably not what you were trying to say. Creationism allows for all of the universe and everything in it to have been created by God in six days. Because that's what actually happened.

@Mya.04, hi :) This is a really good piece and you presented your arguments very well. :DDD

• Mia.04

I'm sorry for seeming contradictory, but isn't that why humans need God? We're not perfect, and we do things wrong 24/7! I respect your decision to not trust the Bible, I guess it's just normal for me as a long-time Christian to think it should be easy-peasy to believe in Jesus just like that!
    And thanks to Quille and ViShultz07 for agreeing with me : )

• paperbird

@quille much as i admire your reference to newton’s laws of thermodynamics, creationism is far more illogical than the big bang theory. we have proven that there are rocks that are over four billion years old—far older than the bible would allow. that’s not theory; that’s fact, rock-solid (sorry, can’t resist the pun). and we’ve found the skeletons of animals that were clearly our ancestors.
    the proof for the big bang comes from the expansion of the universe. radio signals can prove that our universe is slowly ever-expanding, just the way the big bang would allow.
    if a religious person were to come up to me and tell me that god caused the big bang and that’s why the universe exists, i wouldn’t argue with them. because there’s no scientific evidence that god doesn’t exist behind it all. but creationism is a perfectly stoppable explanation—it just hits a wall when you realize that there’s more to the universe than earth.
    the catholic church used to think that the earth was the center of the universe. it took hundreds of years for them to accept an alternative, but now nearly every christian agrees that earth revolves around the sun, and that the sun is part of a larger galaxy. this alone should be evidence for the unstable nature of the explanations of the bible.

@paperbird, continued. Why is the Big Bang still a mystery to scientists? Because it's illogical.
    Creation isn't illogical; and there are no mysteries about it except why people choose not to believe it.

@paperbird, my biggest question is: What was there before the 'Big Bang'?
    Newton states in the Laws of Thermodynamics--very scientific here--that matter cannot be created or destroyed, only changed in substance. That means that the Big Bang theory is invalid because there couldn't have ever been nothing. Creation, however; starts with there being God.

• paperbird

thirdly, to mya.04–
    i hope that you realize the contradictory nature of your words. you do not wish the bible to be used incorrectly, for insult, and then you say that these misusers are not true followers of christ—thereby discriminating against them.
    what i dislike most about religion is when a human claims that he or she knows the “will of god”. the very principle of most religions is that god is remarkable and incomprehensible, and the idea that a human would know of the thoughts of an omnipresent being is an excellent way to cover up unsupported and biased opinions. that’s the problem with religion.
    in your last comment you acted as though, to put it bluntly, i am a sad lonely lost human without comprehension of the universe who will, with hope, one day find true god. i will not leave this argument on the grounds of your superiority.
    religion in itself is a wonderful thing—it teaches our species to find hope. socially, it can be destructive—it can cause humans to hate, patronize and battle one another. always bear that in mind when you talk about your beliefs.

• paperbird

okay, so i’m not quite ready to drop this subject—i’ve got a few more points. firstly, i should say i mean no offense. secondly, in response to vischultz—yes, that’s a very good point, but there are fundamental differences in the big bang theory and creationism.

• Mia.04

Good point.

• ViSchultz07

Isn't it funny how the theory states that time itself didn't exist before the beginning which is something that Christians believe as well. That is that God is the creator of time.

• Mia.04

Christians who use the Bible the correct way will not use the Bible for insult (that is, anyone who doesn't use it the correct way and uses it to discriminate against others either doesn't understand what it means to follow Christ or they are just putting an act on to seem 'Christian', as I said earlier). I meant no rudeness towards other beliefs or religions and it makes me really sad that you are choosing to believe in a human figure and unproven theories. I hope someday you might be more willing to explore Jesus's story. I don't want to drop the topic, but I guess for now we will have to agree to disagree

• paperbird

plus the bible feels more like a method for discrimination than anything else. all due respect, you used god to discriminate against atheists and people of other religions in the last paragraph of this piece. i don’t want to refer to something so dangerous in nature, especially not for all matters concerning life.

• paperbird

okay, i get what you’re saying.
    the big bang wasn’t a coincidence. it’s still a mystery to scientists, but stephen hawking has a really interesting say on the matter. you can read it here—
    https://www.livescience.com/61914-stephen-hawking-neil-degrasse-tyson-beginning-of-time.html
    basically, he theorizes that time didn’t exist before the subatomic particle exploded, and that the more the universe expands, the more time speeds up. so if you think that your life is getting faster and faster, technically it’s true (except that the rate at which time is increasing is so slow it can’t be measurable, especially because there’s no way to track time without using time, and it’s all very complicated and stuff).
    to me, the idea of an ethereal male figure that controls everything is just kind of... random. and the main problem i have with the bible is its ideas of anthropology. there are so many great theories for how homo sapiens developed on planet earth. there’s really no place for creationism.

• Mia.04

Love you Vi! Thanks for the correction!

• ViSchultz07

Love it Mya! Little typo (Jesus' descendants) it should be Jesus would be the descendant of. Love you!