KittyTheCheshireCat

-13-
-animal lover-
-reader-
-writer-
-artist-
-wild one-
-unpredictable-
-daredevil-
-rejected-
-untameable-
-free-

I wrote this to show how in some places, girls are still viewed as weaker and less sporty than boys, and how both boys and girls are stereotyped as acting a certain way, liking a certain thing, and looking a certain way. It is a topic that is very important to me, that I feel strongly about. Thank you for reading this story.

You're a Girl

I knew from the moment I entered the room that I was different from the other girls. They wore sparkly dresses, pink, and tiaras were braided neatly into their long hair. The contrast between me and them was so stark I could have passed for another species altogether. I was wearing old jeans and a grey shirt. My hair was cut to my ears and very messy. Already people were starting to stare, so I quickly made my way over to the toy boxes, giving the starers a savage scowl. Reaching the play area, I looked at the two boxes of toys. One was pink, and was full of dolls, fluffy animals with creepily big eyes, and frilly pink dresses for a game of dress-up. The other box was blue, and held toy cars and trucks, dinosaurs, and police officer and fireman costumes. I knew on sight what I would pick. I reached for the police officer costume, but a boy shoved past me and snatched it for himself. "Hey! I was going to use that!" I told him indignantly. He laughed, and squinted at me. "You're a girl. You're supposed to be the princess," He pointed to the pink box. "They're over there. Pick one of them." I glared at him angrily. 
"Just because I'm a girl doesn't mean I have to be a princess. I'd make just as good a police officer as you, better even!" I retorted fiercely. We had attracted a member of the staff, and she walked over to see what was going on. "He says I can't be a police officer because I'm a girl!" I jumped in.
"She has to be a princess, that's how the game works! The boys are the heroes who save all the girls who are the damsels in distress!" He interrupted.
"Calm down, you two. Can't we play nice?" She looked at me. "There are plenty of princess dresses over there, why don't you use them?" I bristled furiously. "And you," She cast him a reproachful glare. "You should know better than to upset the girls, why can't you play without arguing? Everyone loves this game." This was not fair. I stormed off to find something else to do, and saw a group of boys having a toy car race. They had set up a track that winded around stacks of books and pot plants. I walked over to them, picked up a spare and picked up a spare car. "Can I play?" I asked. The ignored me. I cleared my throat. It elicited no reaction. Steam was probably coming out of my ears at this point. I steeled myself and looked around. A pin board came into my line of sight. Going closer, I saw on it artwork and posters. There was a dance class on Thursday, art class on Tuesday, and an AFL lesson and practice game on Friday. Today. I had been playing AFL since before I could walk, and I could definitely outplay all of the boys here. Spirits rising, I grabbed the pen and wrote my name down as clearly as I could in my messy handwriting. I turned around, only to find a staff member standing behind me. A man this time. "AFL, hey?" I braced myself for the coming reprimand, but it didn't come. "That's great," He continued. "We're short on members, it's good to have some new kids join up. See you this afternoon," He smiled and walked off. Barely able to contain my excitement and anticipation, I sauntered over to the box of sports gear, grabbed a football, and went outside to practice.

1

• Silver Ink

I really like this story, I think it really addresses gender stereotyping and how it can affect the world. Not an essay but still a strong story

• weirdo

This is a really nice story, but this is supposed to be an essay. Not a personal narrative.