Barbadosmap

Josie O'Grady

If a particle of your observations tugs at you a certain way, don't forget to write it down.

I am a fifteen year old flute and writing enthusiast who spends a lot of time reading Mary Oliver and Emily Dickinson, not to mention suffering through high register exercises on my flute (only when no one else is home!). I try to read a lot of good journalism, which proves often difficult to find, so I can form unbiased opinions of the world. Poetry is how I then apply these opinions to my own life and reflect on them.

Tuesday Night Return

PROMPT: Setting as Mood

0
I hit the brakes. The sound seems to be the only noise breaking the air in the empty lot.
A nearby light from a 7-Eleven is temporarily blinding. I climb out of the car underneath a 
clear night sky. Inside, there is no else but the bartender, and he's on his phone and doesn't
notice the gust of ocean breeze that blows in with me. Of course there's no one else, it's a Tuesday.
The shuffleboard looks lonely without a family using it. And the darts are arranged neatly next to the
dartboard, no brother or sister preparing for an epic round. I turn to go back to my car,
grateful for the break in semester, but wondering why I came here first.

• Josie O'Grady

Apologies on the weird spacing, don't know what happened there. :)