1499177476wallpaper 3 700x700

interstella

✧・゚:* Stella // INFP // Singer // Songwriter // Dreamer ・゚☆✧

Welcome to my new, carefully curated, brand-spanking new high school account!

Why I Dyed My Hair

7
“You’re the ugliest girl in school.”

I take a deep breath and begin. I squeeze the bottle with careful fingers, hoping not to massacre my bathroom with a sudden spray of indigo. A runner of dye crawls out of the nozzle. Too late to turn back now. My fingers covered by thin plastic gloves, I rake the color across my brown locks and observe my metamorphosis with quiet wonder.

“What boy would ever want you?”

Half a bottle of dye and thirty minutes later, my hair is an inky midnight color. I rinse the extra pigment off in the shower and stain the tile and the curtain and my skin. It looks like I murdered a Smurf. My neck, fingers, ears, forehead, forearms, and hair all match. I look like a different person.

“You have a big nose.”

I take the makeshift towel turban off my head. Navy strands spill to my shoulders and I smile my stupid crooked smile. There’s a spot of blue on my lumpy, uneven nose, above the little white scar at the bottom. Hours ago, I only saw those imperfect features. Now a shock of cobalt demands my attention and distracts from the face I hate.

“You’re ugly as fuck.”

I clip back the masterpiece on my head and admire the beautiful mess I made. My new hair returns the stares and insults I’ve been handed for fifteen years. It’s a big screw you to society—you think I’m weird? I’ll show you weird! I don’t feel pretty—I don’t need to. No, thanks to a ten-dollar bottle of hair dye, I feel ready to conquer the world.
I'm back from the dead, folks!

• loveletterstosappho

i don't know if i can express how much i love this piece. there's so much attitude and spunk and power, especially in lines like "I rinse the extra pigment off in the shower and stain the tile and the curtain and my skin. It looks like I murdered a Smurf." and "Hours ago, I only saw those imperfect features. Now a shock of cobalt demands my attention and distracts from the face I hate." and ESPECIALLY "I don’t feel pretty—I don’t need to. No, thanks to a ten-dollar bottle of hair dye, I feel ready to conquer the world."
    the format of the listing of insults in bold between paragraphs describing your transformation is also very effective. beyond that, the entire concept of this piece is incredible. you write with courage and strength.
    amazing work!