Eaccd622 66c5 48ab 878f 4aff3503487b

paperbird

what are your favorites?!?!??!

the best panic! at the disco songs - ranked

6
i don’t pretend to have good music taste––that’s right, i’m a panic! fan.  to be fair, i’ve done extensive research––i listened to all of their albums over and over again.  these songs are taken from pray for the wickeddeath of a bachelortoo weird to live, too rare to die!vices & virtuespretty. odd. and a fever you can’t sweat out.  and most of this is personal opinion––i’m not a professional critic or anything.
i sorted this into multiple categories.  most of the formatting was borrowed from rainandsonder on their fall out boy piece.

essential panic! at the disco - the best of the popular songs
5. I WRITE SINS NOT TRAGEDIES.  what better to occupy the list?  this song is iconic!  "i write sins not tragedies" casts an emo tone riddled with chiming instrumentals.  the angry chords and snarky lyrics spat into the tune instantly make it a classic.
4. THE BALLAD OF MONA LISA.  "mona lisa" creates an aura of gentle mystery, opening with panic!’s signature xylophone and moving to a sturdy chorus comprised of guitars and high vocals.  the songwriters pay close attention to lyrics, as the narration to “ballad of mona lisa" is thoughtful and clever as they describe how she paints her fingers and the desperation that accompanies hand-to-mouth existence.
3. MISS JACKSON.  there's no panic! song quite like "miss jackson", which is layered with several tracks of vocals and narrated with an urgency underlined by the electronic instrumentals.  the chorus is joyful, the repeated signature line being "but i love her anyway".  brendon's voice is especially powerful in this tune as he sings for a mysterious lover, creating a crashing wonder you can't help but sing along to.
2. THIS IS GOSPEL.  how can a song be both chilling and jubilant?  panic! just manages it.  with a rousing chorus of "if you love me, let me go", this tune creates an irate and freeing tone jam-packed with lovely lyrics and crashing chords.  the verses spill into the chorus, chanting for heroes and long-gone figures.  no construction of this song disappoints, from the lyrics "this is the beat of my heart" to "the fear of falling apart".  "this is gospel" is an absolute must-listen.
1. NINE IN THE AFTERNOON.  perhaps this is personal taste, but i have always adored this song.  the prominent major key results in thoughts of sunshine and laughter.  the lyrics are masterfully creative––"back to the street, down to our feet, losing the feeling of feeling unique––do you know what i mean?" is one of several of my favorites.  everything about this song is original and wonderfully joyous.  it makes me happy to listen to it.

fairly well known - you may not have heard of these
5. THAT GREEN GENTLEMAN.  one of many hits from my favorite of their albums, "that green gentleman" is a rousing poem for the passage of time and the happy aspects of life.  the narration is swift and lively, a worthy namesake for the album.
4. DYING IN LA.  this one is pretty much the complete opposite of "that green gentleman"––it surpasses haunting and is nothing short of tragic.  brendon sings about the horrors of fame and the loneliness that accompanies living in los angeles.  the vocals are stunning––the intervals added into singular notes adds to the tone of heartbreak and desperation.  "dying in la" is sure to depress listeners every time, in a beautiful sort of way.
3. DANCING’S NOT A CRIME.  the signature synthesized background noises of this album are particularly prominent in this upbeat tune.  "dancing's not a crime" is made for the dance floor, with lyrics spun cleverly and a fun instrumental line.  the crashing notes and happy nature of the song place it on this list.
HOUSE OF MEMORIES.  set in a minor key, the rhythmic "house of memories" sets a tone that is simultaneously soulful, haunting, and lively.  the momentary falsetto used repetitively in the verses creates a tingling interval.  the strong vocals, prominent base line, and jabbing lyrics are what make this song worthwhile.
1. NORTHERN DOWNPOUR.  a hit from an earlier album, "northern downpour" utilizes acoustics and gentler vocals than panic!'s later material.  the dynamic difference between this soulful song and the band's regular style makes it all the more brilliant.  the standout feature is the lyrics––figurative and poetic, they ring a note of artistic truth.  the finishing phrase, "hey moon, don't you come down" sets the chorus at peace.  "northern downpour" is thoughtful, lullaby-like, and beautiful.

underrated - you probably haven’t heard them, but worth every listen
5. THE END OF ALL THINGS.  "the end of all things" was almost a prelude to "dying in la".  the sheer power of the lyrics renders it incomparable to others in the album.  the instrumentals are almost purely synthesized, which underlies an incredible, mystic, almost artificial aura.  "the end of all things" acts with great magnitude, soulful and final.
4. THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE DIRTY.  from the album death of a bachelor, this song follows the record's theme of drunken love.  it is nevertheless a fun tune, weighed with impressive instrumentals and a catchy chorus.  the effect is an enjoyable piece, resonating panic!'s signature style.
3. DO YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SEEING?  perhaps this is an unpopular opinion, but i love this song.  the quirky but weighted aura it emits renders it almost beatles-like.  the chorus, although odd, is guaranteed to be stuck in your head for days––"i know it's sad, but i never gave a damn about the weather, and it never gives a damn about me..."  "do you know what i'm seeing" follows the album's themes of nature and secrecy.  it's simply a masterpiece.
2. HURRICANE.  the rhythmic strums and drum punches of "hurricane" are what it great.  coupled with the joyful "hey, hey"s of the chorus, the lyrics take a creative spin.  "hurricane" is a weirder one, but it's seriously underrated––it's one of the best of its album.
1. OLD FASHIONED.  patterned with witty lyrics and structured by saxophone twists, "old fashioned" is perhaps pray for the wicked's best tune.  with lyrics like, "we were borderline kids with the book of disorders, medicating every day to keep the straightness in order" brendon urie reminisces for older times and narrates the struggles of alcoholism.  it is a fun song, nevertheless––the rousing chorus and rhythmic verses give it an aura of jubilation and victory.

• Alix Ravyn

I CAN"T CHOOSE MY FAVORITE I LOVE ALL OF THESE

• rosemarywisdom

P O I S E A N D R A T I O N A L I T Y

• Julius Caesar

and northern downpour is one of the kindest songs i've ever heard. it makes me feel better about myself for some reason

• Julius Caesar

holy shit. i've had old fashioned stuck in my head all. day. long. "it's the false side of hope where believers concede, and there's only memories, when it's over......" more specifically

• paperbird

NO, IT’S MUCH BETTER TO FACE THESE KINDS OF THINGS
    WITH A SENSE OF POISE AND RATIONALITY

• a sprig of pink

CLOSE THE GODDAMN DOOR

• paperbird

yeah, i didn’t edit this :P

• RainAndSonder

totally agree with these! you’re so good at describing the songs. i noticed one or two typos, and one of the songs in the second list wasn’t numbered, but those are tiny things. great list!

• Huda Ayaz

Yesss, old fashioned is so underrated