Dsc 0128

veejericaodd

Philippines

INFP-T. Lazy writer. Misunderstood. I write what I want.

@veejericaodd on Wattpad, Twitter and Instagram.

Hello fellow writer, have a good day of writing.

Sincerely,
That Girl Who Looks Like Sadako From "The Ring"

Mother Justice: The Blind and Deaf Judge

Mother Justice is not only blind. She’s also deaf.

I always believed that justice would prevail in the end, that regardless of your financial status, the eyes of law would not fail at seeing the truth. Politicians might be corrupt, but you can always trust the lower echelon of the government—the policemen and government workers—to do their duties on behalf of a nation. But my time as an intern on the Parole and Probation office at the Hall of Justice proved me wrong. It seems that freedom and power, on most occasions, could only be gained by money, just as justice could be blinded by a four to six figure bribe or reward.

As an intern, I mingled with various clients on probation. I talked to them and learned their story. As an intern, I was a common visitor of our local prison, interviewing prisoners who want to avail probation in a small colony inside a four-sided chicken wire wall that was twice my height while policemen watch outside. What I learned was that most of them were convicted with almost the same crime—most of them were either accused as a drug user, a drug pusher, a drug den keeper, someone who had drugs at their person the day they were captured or all of the mentioned crimes. Most of them insist that the police planted evidence on their pockets. At first, there are some doubts, but learning what happens in and out of the jail and the law cleared some of the fog. For instance, police officers in the Philippines are given a huge monetary reward for every drug users and drug pushers they capture according to the probation officers. This leads desperate police officers to plant packs of methamphetamine and cocaine on the suspected person. No one is safe on this modus operandi, not even children, minors or the elderly. If you’re targeted, the next place you’ll land is the prison. This is why probation officers warn probationers and even innocent civilians to obey the law and remain a model citizen. They know of the corruption and could do little as the scene unfolds. The only way to be free is to pay a huge sum of money. Just look at the politicians like Bong Revilla and Jinggoy Estrada who were convicted for plunder and are now free to wander and run for the 2019 election. The latter paid 1.3 million pesos to gain his freedom.

Same with gaining property that was never yours. Government officials in the Philippines, especially the ones who are in the bottom could be bought. You want to have your in-law’s house and lot? Simple. Just bribe the right government worker in town with a four to five figure bribe, get a lawyer to sign and notarize your falsified documents and register yourself as the rightful owner of the house and lot, and everything will be fine. It works. People who filed their own civil case at Hall of Justice against a neighbor or a blood relative would agree. My neighbors who have personal grudges against their fellow neighbors about land dispute would also attest to that statement.

But not all policemen and government officials are corrupt, just as there are honest politicians who fight for human rights, gender equality and the betterment of a nation. Society is not black and white. It is composed of good men and women, criminals and deceivers who lives and breath on the same earth. At the same time, we should also remember that humans are easily tempted by money, power and prestige. Catching a lot of criminals can give a raise in position and income, same with processing documents more than the average worker, may it be illegal or not. It is the act that makes a man. It is his decision that will damn an innocent man or to save it. Mother Justice is deaf and blind not because she refuses to listen but because her enforcers chose power and money over the right thing.

We, the citizens of our respective nations should not be blind. If the law cannot see or hear the truth, we must open our eyes and ears to the reality, not turn a blind eye. We must take a stand and fight for what is right. Corruption and injustice does not only happen in third world countries such as the Philippines—it happens in every side of the world. Don’t let the natural flow stop what must be done. Take a stand. Fight.