alessalevi

Web Filters at Our Schools

Strict rules are never amusing especially when they are everywhere including on your chromebooks at school. Therefore the White Bear Lake school board should only block websites that are inappropriate or used in the wrong way by students. Parents are only worried about the inappropriate websites online and websites that are harmful to students,they are not concerned about blocking gaming or social media websites.
    The first reason why web filters should not be that restrictive is saying that websites should only be blocked if they are harmful to students. The Federal Court discusses how, “Congress in 2000, would have required public libraries on schools to install computers with filtering software to block access to material in cyberspace deemed to be "harmful to minors," (Federal Court Rules Against Web Filtering Law; CIPA Would Block All Kinds of Free Speech at Libraries, Judges Rule). In other words the Federal Court agrees with the fact that web filters at public libraries and schools should only block websites that are unfavorable to minors. Such a statement proves that the congress believes that only websites that are baleful to students should be blocked. The evidence then suggests that the websites being blocked can't be blocked because they distract a kid at school, they should only be blocked if they are harmful to the students.
    Secondly web filters should be limited because at home it is the student's, parent's job to watch what they are doing on the internet and if they are getting their homework done. Ana Resendez explains her announcement,  “Students have so many filters on the Web at school. Isn't it the parents' responsibility to watch out for their children while they are at home?,”(Schools can only do so much) In other words, Ana points out how the parent of the students should be responsible out of school for what they are doing on their chromebooks. This shows that web filters should be limited because the scholar is being watched by parents when they are on their chromebooks so they don't need such things as web filters. This is important because whatever the school thinks is inappropriate like some social media sites, the parents might not think the same. Therefore the level of stern filters on the internet should be limited.
    The last immense reason that web filters should be restrained deals with the rules of the CIPA and what web filters have to be blocked. The CIPA states that, "Any public library or school that adheres to CIPA conditions will necessarily restrict patrons' access to a substantial amount of protected speech in violation of the First Amendment.”(Federal Court Rules Against Web Filtering Law; CIPA Would Block All Kinds of Free Speech at Libraries, Judges Rule) What they are saying is that if libraries and schools  don't follow the rule of blocking inappropriate sites they won't have free speech on what to block and what not to block, also this gives proof that parents and the people of the Children's Internet Protection Act care more about unsuitable websites more than social media websites. If this is true, then it must also follow that the web filters on students chromebooks don't have to be so restrictive.
    During school the teachers have the job to watch the students to make sure they are doing the responsible things on their chromebooks. Also out of school parents can do their task to keep children safe on the internet. Despite this evidence, some people still think that students won't work on what they are supposed to at school or use the chromebooks responsibly. Like the CIPA and parents said in my three parts of evidence the websites you are blocking right now are too restrictive for home purposes. You should only block games and other websites during school hours. Any other time after the school day is over the students should have a choice of the websites they want to go on. As evidenced by that the student board should be less strict about the sites that are blocked on the students chromebooks.
In conclusion the White Bear Lake school board should limit the restrictions on web filters, the only sites that should be blocked are one with harmful or inappropriate content. All the reasons above state that there is no reason that the websites you are blocking on student chromebooks should be blocked. The parents and the CIPA association care way more about children seeing harmful things and it is the parent's job to watch what the students are doing at home. Those reasons all give verification that the websites you are blocking are too regulated. The school web filters should only be websites that are necessary for blocking. 

"Federal Court Rules Against Web Filtering Law; CIPA Would Block All Kinds of Free Speech at Libraries, Judges Rule." US Newswire 31 May

2002: 1008151n8351. Research in Context. Web. 2 Nov. 2015.

"Schools can only do so much." Learning & Leading with Technology Mar.-Apr. 2011: 8. Research in Context. Web. 2 Nov. 2015