CORTNEY KEELER

Limiting Standardized Testing

“If my future were determined just by my performance on a standardized test, I wouldn't be here. I guarantee you that.” Michelle Obama stated. In her quote, she means she didn’t succeed on standardized tests and if her future was determined on these tests, she wouldn't be here. Therefore, students shouldn't be forced to take so many standardized tests because it stresses students out.  
For instance, students get stressed out from taking standardized tests because they are forced to take a lot through out school. Ken Robinson states, “Now the problem with standardized tests is that it's based on the mistake that we can simply scale up the education of children like you would scale up making carburetors. And we can't, because human beings are very different from motorcars, and they have feelings about what they do and motivations in doing it, or not,” (Ken Robinson) Ken Robinson is discussing that we are only human and we should have a say in standardized tests. This shows that students are forced to take standardized tests and can lead to stress and low self esteem. Therefore, something should be done. Such as less standardized testing or helping students not be so stressed.
In addition, students are too pressured when taking standardized tests by making them seem like such a big deal. James Dyson states, “The one size fits all approach of standardized testing is convenient but lazy,” (James Dyson) In this quote, James Dyson is saying students get lazy and tired during standardized testing because testing is boring and overwhelming. Such a statement shows that standardize testing can lead to students not succeeding.
Another overwhelming reason is that standardized testing is too much for students because they worry and stress about it. Diane Ravitch states, “Sometimes, the most brilliant and intelligent minds do not shine in standardized tests because they do not have standardized minds,” (Diane Ravitch). In this quote, Diane Ravitch is saying standardized tests are not based on how smart you are so just try your best and see where it takes you. This matters because another person agrees that standardize testing can be overwhelming and annoying.
Despite this evidence, people still think that students need to take standardized tests because standardized tests can improve achievement in that subject. Debbie Thompson believes “standardized tests can improve prediction and selection for gifted programs, college, scholarships, or employment.” In other words Debbie Thompson is saying that standardized tests are helpful and they help you succeed. This shows that standardized tests do help in some ways, but it also doesn't help when kids stress and worry about them so much.
In conclusion, standardized tests should be limited. Students should take only a few tests because of the few reasons they do help. Only students in high-school should take them because they can handle the stress. Kids shouldn’t have to stress about getting a good score so you're in a good class. Not all students try their best so their score shouldn’t determined on which class they belong in.  
Bibliography
“Editorial: Obama Expresses Need for Standardized Testing Reform - The Washtenaw Voice.” The Washtenaw Voice. N.p., Feb. 2015. Web. 18 Nov. 2015. <http://www.washtenawvoice.com/2015/11/02/editorial-obama-expresses-need-for-standardized-testing-reform/>
"Beaver County districts favor fewer, but quality standardized ..." 2015. 18 Nov. 2015 <http://www.ellwoodcityledger.com/news/local_news/beaver-county-districts-favor-fewer-but-quality-standardized-tests/article_4c84ba76-80f0-11e5-8010-d7aa3bb5e005.html>
"Editorial: Obama expresses need for standardized testing ..." 2015. 18 Nov. 2015 <http://www.washtenawvoice.com/2015/11/02/editorial-obama-expresses-need-for-standardized-testing-reform/>
"why standardized Testing is Important - Triangle Education ..." 2009. 18 Nov. 2015 <http://www.triangleeducationassessments.com/standardizedtesting.pdf>