Screen shot 2019 03 12 at 5.28.21 pm

Opal Drop

A huge Harry Potter fan
mix of Gryffindor and Ravenclaw
I love to write, write, write
Again huge HP fan
I love fantasy,
Well, um, I'm 13. Not 14 yet....
Excited for high school, going to be there soon!

To our precious teachers.

The Deep Hearts of our Teachers

All my life, I've taken school and my teachers for granted. I've constantly bombarded them with irrelevant questions about the assignment that even they might not be able to answer. I never stopped thinking that they would always be there. Not until recently did I realize how wrong I was. While education may be a right in the eyes of most, I've begun to think of it as a gift that kind souls dedicate their lives to providing. It's a privilege, and it has generously been extended to all, at least in the United States. And those souls that grant it to us are not treasured enough.

Education is absolutely vital to the new generation, and has been for several decades. While the law that made it compulsory for students to attend school was passed quite a while ago, education itself has gone above and beyond recently. New innovations promote technology, a strong and rising career option for many. Art and music are blooming, and planting a seed of interest in children. And without education, it will be near impossible, if not completely, to advance the world in this aspect. But we give little thought to those people that make it possible. Teachers.

Our teachers are crucial to the whole education system. Without them, there wouldn't be an education system. They educate every generation as it comes along, and do so with passion, respect, and hard work. Where would the world be without educators? The immeasurable knowledge that is present in the world doesn't appear in our heads as we are born. Someone must channel it into us, must hold our hand every step of the way, so that we can change the world when it is our turn. But that someone, who must relentlessly work, isn't appreciated enough. Teachers are responsible for every one of their students, for their schooling, for the part of their mental health that ties to schoolwork, and for so much more. Outside of the children's personal lives, the teachers are like second parents. And they need to be credited for something as monumental as that. 

While also providing children with knowledge, good teachers teach life skills too. They help prepare kids for the harsh cruelties of the outside world. They train them to use proper etiquette and have polite manners. These phenomenal values are difficult to learn elsewhere. Teachers reach into the hearts of the kids and understand their wishes. Teachers do more than what they're paid to do, out of the kindness of their own hearts. For every student, there will always be that one teacher that absolutely changed their life. That one teacher that illuminated them, that evolved their thinking, that truly understood them. Maybe even more than one. And how do we reciprocate this invaluable act? We underpay teachers. For their work 40 hours a week, and even before and after school hours grading papers and tutoring students that need a more individual teach, we pay them too less for their service. Don't these unfailing people deserve more?

Former president Barack Obama said that "The future belongs to the nation that best educates its citizens." This is the indefinite truth. Education has always been the foundation that supports success. And our teachers are essential to something as important as that. Many teachers struggle to live solely off of the earnings they make at schools. Some teachers have to take second jobs. Joanne McCall, the president of FEA, said that "No one should spend all day teaching our children and then have to go to a second job just to get by." I believe that it is unfair that people are forced to go through something like this. Of course, there are teachers who are able to live off their earnings, and there always will be. But we cannot only look at those people. We have to take into consideration those who are struggling. It is imperative that we focus our attention into something as fundamental as education!

Since the beginning of my 8th grade year, I've despised one class. History. I am not a fan of history, at all, and never have been. Naturally, that would most likely result in me disliking the teacher as well. My teacher, she flooded us with complicated homework, extremely vague 'helps', and expected us to be almost completely independent. If we had a large assignment to do at the beginning of a unit, we were expected to read the whole textbook chapter on our own, then do the assignment on our own within a week and a half. And I hated her for it. But, only recently have I realized that she is probably my best teacher. That if I struggled, that was because she wanted to help me. Not because she was a severe teacher, but because she wanted to prepare me for high school. I took her for granted in so many ways. Too many ways. I can only imagine how many other students are like me. My teacher wanted me to do well. She didn't just do the bare minimum she was required to do, but cared about her students. Countless teachers are nothing but the same.

When people take a job, the first two things they look at are the skill requirements and pay. It is no different with teachers, except that even when they see that the pay is lower than they'd like, they have a true desire to educate children. They are passionate about it, and they want to make a difference in the world. The job of a teacher is not as simple as following the curriculum. Their job is more complicated, and requires more than the ability to teach. Their hearts have to be big, their thinking empathetic, and their feelings motherly. That is why I believe their salary should be given a considerable raise, because the deep hearts of our teachers are unmatched anywhere. 

• Opal Drop

@spearmint Thank you so much! That is so extremely sweet...

• spearmint

I really want people to read this.

• spearmint

Gave a shout-out to you and this piece on my account. Hope it helps :)

• spearmint

submitted my review!!

• AminahMcBina

Contest results are up!!!

--Also, I want a career in education/teaching, after i graduate high school

• A Breath Into Silence

My dad's actually a teacher, so I have an up-front-and-personal understanding of this issue. And it always hurts my heart to hear people complain about a teacher who's doing their best to help a student develop skills for the future-- teachers like your history teacher. Thank you for writing this piece - it's warmed my heart more than I can ever hope to express.

• Opal Drop

Thank you so much! I didn't realize I'd made such a strong argument! Thank you for your feedback.

• spearmint

Definitely writing a review for this one. Good luck!!

• spearmint

This was brilliant. I only skimmed through it, but I saw that you had data and information to back up your point. I also noticed that you offered your own experiences, so there's a more personal side to the story. Your piece also sounded very formal, as if you were speaking in front of a judge. It genuinely sounds like you could argue this point until you win. I agree with this piece very much. My teachers, in addition to paying their expenses, buy things for us, and ask little of us. They buy majority of the supplies, and this is with their small salary. I really want to share this with my teachers...