Marauders map

Caitlyn Mulcahy

I write on my laptop, I write on my books, I write on my hands. Best of all, I write in my head. Constantly. I'm never not writing. What do you think dreams are? Your brain writing its own stories while you are sleeping.

1000 Paper Cranes

1
Legend says if you fold 1000 paper cranes you get a wish. I Lie on my back, hair splayed either side of my face, fanning across my pillow. My index finger tracing nameless shapes on my thighs, I stare up into the arc of my old brass bedhead that had once belonged to my mother. A twisted frame that holds more secrets and memories than I could even imagine. Now mine, it sighs and groans in its ancient slumber, still standing tall and steady as I toss and turn aimlessly. It looms above me in an arc, as I watch the flock of cranes that hang down from it. Fluttering and flying on an invisible breeze that helps them strain against the feeble strings that hold them in place. Words scrawled over their carefully folded bodies reveal abstract phrases that represent a deeper meaning, a reminder of a memory designed for only me to understand.  And despite their fragile appearance, they are made strong by the elegance and beauty that lies beneath their exquisitely imperfect forms. I’m 986 wonderfully simple paper cranes away from my wish.