B493bd15 cb2f 422a 8a56 2193d8b5a721

pencils.and.paper.roses

Writer
NERD
Baker
HUGE Marvel fan
Hopeless romantic
16
Senior
The Lumineers
Kodaline
Bird lover
Fascinated by British people and culture
Love M. Night Shyamalan movies
In love with
James McAvoy
&
Rami Malek
❤️

"Writing is an exploration. You start from nothing and learn as you go." - E.L. Doctorow

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there's footprints on the moon." - Paul Brandt

"First name Mr, Second name Glass." - Mr. Glass/Elijah Price, Glass

"I. Am. Iron Man." - Tony Stark, Avengers: Endgame

"There is a box of Twinkies in that grocery store. Not just ANY box of Twinkies. The last box of Twinkies that anyone in the whole universe will enjoy." - Tallahassee, Zombieland

“No cherry, no deal.” - Alexei “Smirnoff”, Stranger Things, season 3

" Every single person in the world is interesting - they're a walking story." - James McAvoy

My blog:
https://weirdowhowritesblog.wordpress.com/

Chapter Ten: The Game

1
Oops, I forgot to include these XD Read the last three chapters here:

Chapter Seven: The Game  

Chapter Eight: The Game 

Chapter Nine: The Game (Mini Chapter)

Lynn entered Rush and immediately noticed the enormity of the room. It was bigger even than Flame Evasion, which had been the biggest room Lynn had seen yet.

There were two rows of large platforms, each covered in substances ranging from dirt to sand to rock and water. At the first platform, there was a yellow line. A boy stepped over it and instantly zipped forward in a burst of speed.

“Whoa,” Lynn thought aloud. “I guess that’s why they call it Rush.”

“Ya think?” A voice said next to her. Lynn instantly stiffened. Ross. Had he seriously signed up for Rush too? She shook her head in disbelief and turned to listen to their instructions.

Rush was pretty straightforward. The contestant would start on the first platform and step over the yellow line, which would enable them with a rush— hence the name— of speed. They would then use the burst of speed to parkour their way to the final platform.

The only catch? If you fell, you had to start again five platforms away from where you fell. You also had to do a trick at least twice throughout.

First up was a girl with short blonde hair named Annika. She got through the course quickly, falling only once and easily regaining her footing afterward. Lynn guessed that the girl had played before.

Lynn was next. She stepped up to the line slowly, preparing herself to run. But it wasn’t necessary— the burst of speed provided all the momentum she needed, and she nearly fell off the first platform. She managed to jump up just in time to avoid hitting her head. She fell off the next one though, and laughter rippled through part of the crowd of competitors.

Face burning, Lynn stood up and used the available ladder to climb back up onto the starting island. It took her three more tries to get all the way around. When she finally finished, she felt a great sense of accomplishment.

She watched several other kids go, including Ross, and couldn’t help but laugh a few times. Luckily, she wasn’t laughing at them, but with them.

She went through the course several more times, each time improving. By the time the session ended, just as she had in Water Evasion, she was able to finish the first level without falling once. She did have to stop several times to catch her balance though.

By the time the session ended, she had reached 3rd place on the Rush leaderboards.

The session ended and the bell rang for lunch just as the final contestant reached the last island, and the group cheered. As they poured out the door, Ross came up to Lynn, running his fingers through his hair. “Hey, Lynn...I uh, just wanted to tell you you did really good earlier,” he stuttered. He hadn’t managed to finish a round without falling, though he’d come close.

“Thanks,” Lynn responded, bewildered. This was random.

‘Well, uh...see you later?” Ross said, giving a small, odd-looking wave.

Lynn nodded, still confused, and Ross scurried out the door. What was that all about? She wondered as she left the room and headed toward the cafeteria.

………………

“...And then she fell off the island!” Cassidy announced. She was telling Lynn and Albany about something that had happened in Flame Evasion very expressively, and Lynn couldn’t help but laugh. Albany, however, had a stricken expression on her face, shocked.

“She fell off?” she asked.

“Oh, don’t worry. They’ve got some kind of a soft ground that’s sort of bouncy. She didn’t get hurt.”

Greatly relieved, Albany now began to laugh. “That’s good. But honestly? That freak-out’s nothing! This kid Korbin in Underneath earlier? He got so mad when he got beat that he started running in circles and he hit a bunch of people! Somebody named Kylee, a girl named Makalah, a kid named Jaden, they all fell right over! He started a domino line!”

The threesome erupted in laughter, but Lynn couldn’t pay attention. Between the conversation she’d listened in to and Ross’s congratulations (he’d congratulated her! It was so unlike him), she was entirely discombobulated.

“Anything happen in Rush, Lynn?” Albany asked. Lynn was the only one who’d yet to share a story.

“No,” Lynn said. “Nothing except the fact that Ross congratulated me on doing well. But--”

Ross congratulated you? The kid that exists for the sole purpose of annoying you and sometimes me? He picked Rush?”

“Yeah. But that’s not what I’m trying to say.” Lynn frowned. “You remember the black-suited people we walked in on this morning? And they mentioned tests?”

Cassidy nodded, but Albany looked confused. “What? My brother works for them!”

“He does?” Cassidy asked her. “Weird. I didn’t know that.”

“I passed a room full of them and listened in on their conversation.” Lynn continued. “And they mentioned us, guys. Us and somebody name Robin Jores. They want to use us for the tests.”

“Us?” Cassidy asked incredulously. “But why us?”

“I don’t know!” Lynn said. “And that’s what’s really driving me up the wall-- I can’t figure it out!”

“Tests?” Albany said skeptically. “What kind of tests?”

“We don’t know that either,” Cassidy told her. “All we know is that they’re happening. But we think they’re something to do with making sure the Game is safe.”

“Then why are you so concerned?”

That stumped Lynn for a moment. “I...don’t know. I don’t know a lot about all this. But my mom didn’t want me to enter, and they keep saying that they want to...collect contestants for whatever these tests are, and it just creeps me out a tiny bit.”

Albany still looked skeptical. She blew her hair out of her face and shook her head. “I think you guys are overreacting. I mean, my brother works for them! Do you think I’d be here if he worked for them and found out it wasn’t safe?”

“We might be,” Cassidy said. “And you might be right. But it’s still kind of weird, don’t you think?”

“I don’t know, maybe they just want to see if the competitors think the games are fun to play, or something like that.”
Albany said, sounding a bit exasperated. “I think you’re being ridiculous.”

She stood up and walked away from the table, shaking her head slightly.

“Albany, come back,” Cassidy called. But Albany didn’t come back or even turn around, and Lynn slumped over in her seat.

“Well, that didn’t go well,” she said quietly, and Cassidy nodded, crestfallen.

…………….

The man stood at the girl’s door, waiting for her to arrive. Sweat was rolling down his face. Why did he ever agree to do this? He knew the poor girl personally.

After a few minutes, the girl came around the corner, mumbling to herself. As she got closer, he caught bits and pieces of it: “...they really think I’m that stupid? Tests! Ha!”

Albany looked up when she reached the door, and she jumped and shouted, putting her hand to her chest. “What are you doing here?”

“I...I need you to...come with me. I can get you back by...dinner, I think.” Dang it, he hadn’t done that as smoothly as he’d hoped. He hoped it wouldn’t be a problem.

“Um, okay,” Albany said. “Why?”

“I’ll tell you on the way.”