Peer Review by Soph Gibson (Australia)

Hush, Little Baby

By: Sjanni

Hush, Little Baby

The baby monitor on the bedside table started to wail, screams and sobs coming out in static shrieks. I let out a small sigh, scrunching up my nose before throwing off the covers. My husband began to stir beside me, moving to push himself out of bed before I put a hand gently on his side. Leaning in, I pressed a kiss to his cheek, whispering into his ear.

“It’s alright, I’ve got this one.”

He mumbled a sleepy approval as I grabbed the monitor, turning the volume down and putting on my slippers. I walked down the hall way, following my baby’s tired screams and sighing to myself. He would often cry at night, some nights worse than others. It was alright though, I would just give him his bottle and he would nod right off. Tiptoeing to his door, I quietly pushed it open, his cries becoming louder. Moving to his bed, I leaned over him as his frantic eyes caught mine. “Shh, shh, shh. It’s alright, sweet heart, Mama’s here”

I hushed him a small smile on my lips as I caressed his small cheek. Taking hold of the masking tape, I slowly pulled it away from his mouth.

“Please…. Let me go… I don’t know what you want…” he began, trailing off with a whimper.

I hushed him again, before I took the small bottle from the chest of drawers beside his bed and placed it against his lips. He fought for a moment, before I grabbed his chin, forcing him to drink the mixture. “Oh baby, when are you going to learn?” I murmured. His eyes began to droop, and I moved to place the tape back over his mouth. Slowly, I caressed his golden hair.

“Hush little baby, don’t say a word. Mama’s ‘gonna buy you a mocking bird…”

I wanted to write a horror/thriller piece with a twist ending. Enjoy! Please comment!

Please leave all kinds of feed back! Comments and reviews would be lovely!

Okay, so that was awesome!!! I really loved the start, the way you made us believe he was an actual baby. Then the masking tape and then he could speak. My mouth was slowly falling open. I loved the last line, so iconic but fresh in this sense. Loved it!