Votaries

ghostlyglory

your enchanting ghost

blood is blue | #bigcolor

9

my first grade teacher tells me blood begins blue
before it is touched by air. 

my sister's first boyfriend / his name is eric / he wears big shirts and pockmarked skin / smokes cigarettes even after mom tells him not to / and we cough so much i forget that smoke is not the way air is supposed to be  / i like how he says things / and when he looks at me i think i might be a bug / after my sister cuts her hair / he says he likes it better long

i have dreams where i am at confession. we are not catholic but the father faces me through the screen. his eyes are so blue and my heart is so tired. i stuff strands of hair between my teeth to keep from screaming. 

when she turns sixteen: she dyes her hair and cuts it all off. she comes home with blue staining her fingernails. mom screams. i start to cry. i run my hands over her shoulders where hair used to be. she holds my face in her hands. it's still me, she says, laughing. look, look. it's still me. 

i tell this to my sister.
blood is blue i say
blood is blue is blue is blue
she pulls my hair 
and tells me not to be stupid. 

three years later / my sister tells me what he did to her / when i was sleeping / in the same room.

my entry for blue's contest: https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/103965/version/197098

uhh i guess i have two objects? blood and hair? idk man

• Riley Noel

Wow, your skill with poetic language is amazing! You are brutally honest and yet fearful, you are both a poet and a storyteller. Beautiful work!

• loveletterstosappho

fuck this is breathtaking and language at it's finest. distilled and powerful.

• Ruthh

Oh gosh this is absolutely stunning

• asteria

absolutely astounding. i second Anha... this perfection resonates, and it is definitely going to stick with me

...oh my god. i think i'm shook. this is amazing, brutally honest yet poetic in nature... i can't get enough of your stuff but damn... i'll be thinking about this for the rest of the evening.