Peer Review by M. Elyse Lynch (Australia)

belong

By: milamae

PROMPT: At Home

Home. It's building, a city, a hug, a glance, a book. It's a face, a song, a couch, a person. 

Home. It's your heart racing, butterflies dancing inside your stomach. It's blushed cheeks and hidden smiles. It's exhilarating, and new, but it was meant to be.

Home. It's your heart slowing to a silent thud, gently rattling through soothed veins. It's exhaling and shaking the weight of the world, judgment and jealousy and uncertainty, off your shoulders.

Home. It's being alone. It's being surrounded by strangers. It's somewhere where no one cares about who you are, what you've done. 

Home. It's forgetting everything. It's remembering everything.

Home. It's something everyone could have, some just passed by too quickly. They ran the other way, they swiped the wrong direction, they looked a second too late. Because they were scared, of what they did'nt know, of what could be, of something new. Meanwhile, the greatest oppertunity, the perfect apartment, the best friend passed by, forever gone. 

Home. It's a risk at the begining. Then, it becomes something like the fine lines in your palm: familiar, predictable and reliable. But never take home for granted, because home isn't forever. Home can be temporary. After all, everything is.  

That it truly captures what it means to feel as if you belong somewhere, and at the same time, how fragile such a feeling can be.

Perhaps you could have added a few personal details about your own state of belonging at this point, but I completely understand how difficult that can be.

You should be really proud of this piece, as I'm sure it will resonate with so many people. Good job :)