Screen shot 2019 03 12 at 5.28.21 pm

Opal Drop

A huge Harry Potter fan
mix of Gryffindor and Ravenclaw
I love to write, write, write
Again huge HP fan
I love fantasy,
Well, um, I'm 13. Not 14 yet....
Excited for high school, going to be there soon!

I wonder if you notice the metaphor throughout the piece.
Comment down below this if you want! : What do the shores/islands symbolize in life?

My Life as an Oddity

12
    I make promises to myself. Expectations, really. But it is so extremely difficult for me to hold on to them. My mentality is that they are a lifeline, so I obviously clasp them tight, clutch them as if I could perish within seconds without them. As if they are the antidote to a poison that never can leave me. But then, I fall lazy. I stop working for my life. I am persuaded that all will go well with this salvation. I stop pumping my legs, I stop treading in the minacious water. And because of that, my goals crumble to dust. With them, I fall too.

I drown into the water, watching the gray ashes of my support dissolve in the ferocious water. I have no way to pull myself back up, except to start working again. I have to persuade my failure of a body to begin pushing before my air runs out. Before my time runs out. I have to paddle up to the surface, and as I do so, I must realize : If I had worked calmly with the lifeline in the first place, I wouldn't be here now. I fall limp with that thought. I wish I could kick myself, but the weight of the water not only pushes my hope down, but my flimsy bones as well. Why hadn't I worked with my precious lifeline? How could I have been so foolhardy, so stupid? 

Then a small light shines into my eyes. Even within the water, it is everything but dull. Hope. Motivation. My goal says that I can still succeed. I lengthen from the ball I had curled into, ready to die. I am not ready for that yet. I am willing to fight. With one last push, with one furious kick, I break through. I suck the salty air into my lungs greedily. The clock dictating my minutes, no, seconds underwater taught me something important. Going through the hard thing is worth it if in the end the triumph makes you wish for nothing more. 

My lifeline chooses this moment to reappear. It somehow seems to know, to comprehend, that I won't give up this time. And once more, I take it into my wrinkled fingers, but this time I do it gently. And this time, I want to reach shore. I don't just want to get by, I want to excel. So I kick. For miles and miles and miles, I kick. Even when my lifeline leaves me, when I've accomplished the goal I set out to fulfill, I kick. And when I reach the warm, sunlit sand, I know I've truly won. I can rest now, but only until this island shrinks into the water and I must reach the next shore.
Comment down below this : What do the shores/islands symbolize in life?
First one to get it gets 1 like and 1 detailed comment on a piece of my choice.

• Opal Drop

I am, I am regretting the choice for completely relying on that lifeline without doing any work myself. That's how I 'drown.'

• A person

It sounds like you're regretting in the second paragraph.

• Opal Drop

Winner will be announced soon....

• pencils.and.paper.roses

My other guess is hope. If that's not it, I'll leave you alone till another day XD

• Opal Drop

Hmmm....

• pencils.and.paper.roses

Is the word success? Like, each island is a success leading to the next one? I've come back to this several times to guess and only just now came up with this word. XD

• This_Is_A_Username

I believe that the islands symbolize many things. What you want to achieve, adventure, excitement in life, something new, your goals, your future. They symbolize everything that you want in your life.

• Living My Life Through Writing

This piece is very well written. The shores/islands symbolize all you goals in life.

• Opal Drop

@Mary Wall that is so sweet! Thank you.
    @ollieollie hmm, that is an interesting and new take on the metaphor! Ty for reading.
    @weirdo Thank you! Ooh, your take, and many others, are beating around the bush.

• weirdo

This is really well written and I love it!
    As for what the shores/islands symbolize, is it your dreams? Your ambitions?

• ollieollie

In anything I've written, islands have a sense of isolation attached to them. Could be wrong, but that's what I've got.

• Mary Wall

I have no idea what the metaphor is, but I wanted to say that this piece is absolutely stunning! Great job!<3

• Dmoral13

Your swiming symbolizes you working toward your goal. The island symbolizes your accomplishment of reaching the goal, and as you go through each island you accomplish another goal.....I think

• Blotted Ink with a Broken Quill

Believe

• pencils.and.paper.roses

Perseverance? Or closure? I think I'm going with perseverance. :)

• xXlunagirlXx

Wait...do they define moving on?

• Opal Drop

Hmm.. Interesting.
    Hint, there are some people very, very close and what they've said defines said word that I'm looking for. Keep going for it!

• xXlunagirlXx

I dunno, I think the shores/islands are when you reach a certain goal in life, and then you get back into the water, and go attempt to go to your next goal

• Christy Wisdom

no problem :)

• Opal Drop

@Christy Wisdom, the lifeline was supposed to be the goal lol. I understand that I didn't make it quite clear.
    @Blotted Ink with a Broken Quill, sort of, you're close too.
    Thank you all for reading!

• Blotted Ink with a Broken Quill

Maybe they symbolize healing over time. I know you already said this wasn't correct exactly, and maybe it also symbolizes change.

• Christy Wisdom

Hmm... is it your goal? Because the lifeline could be hope that you would fulfill it (seeing as goals/dreams are often mentioned in this) so you struggle on towards the completion of your goal, and once you finally reach it you enjoy the knowledge that you won the race, before you start on the next.

• Opal Drop

Actually quite close! I'm looking for a specific word, but if nobody gets it, then I'll choose the closest one. Thanks @wekamp_kj

• ghost

I think that it means the future. You must deal with the past and the present before you can make it to the future. The future is often depicted as a golden little thing in the distance. Everyone dreams of it but little achieve such a prolific future. When the character begins to sort of drown, it could be displaying giving up on the future. Only when the character fights back life, is the ultimate goal achieved.