ZitCan337

English is not my first language so any help with re-phrasing or re-organizing would be helpful.

THE PRICE OF PERSEVERANCE a book review of ‘The Hunger Games’ by Zitlali Cantoran

The Hunger Games is a dystopian young adult fiction book by Suzanne Collins, copyright 2008.  It is the first book in the Hunger Games Trilogy. The main characters are Katniss Everdeen, Peeta Mellark, Haymitch Abernathy. In the story the main character Katniss puts her life at risk to save her sister’s life when she volunteers for the Hunger Games.  The story takes place in a futuristic society divided into 12 regions, each used for a unique purpose to serve the capitol. The story is told by the point of view of Katniss and follows her as she participates in the annual Hunger Games ritual. This book is meant for everyone who enjoys reading about adventure and suspense. This book isn’t specifically targeted towards a specific group of people but in order to enjoy the book you must be able to understand the words that Suzanne Collins is using.
    The book’s main theme are perseverance and family. She kept trying to stay alive by looking for another solution, other than killing Peeta when they were the only tributes alive. Another more subtle example is the effort that Katniss gave to keep her family alive by hunting in the woods knowing that she was breaking a rule. She cared for her family because she made big sacrifices to secure their well being. For example in exchange for grain she entered her name more than once into the ballot for the Hunger Games. She volunteered as tribute to save her sister’s life knowing that her chances of surviving were low.
    My favorite scene is where Katniss volunteers as tribute in her sister’s place because it shows the love that she had towards her sister and how far she would go to keep her alive. She thought, by volunteering, she was going to die but she still did it to save her 12 year old sister, Primrose. There is another scene about this type of selflessness when Peeta gives Katniss a loaf of burnt bread to save her from starvation. In return he got punished by his mother, and he knew that would happen but he still did it. This reminds me of one time where my sisters were grounded and they had to make their own lunch but they didn’t want to go into the kitchen when my mom was there because she was angry with them. Then I felt bad and snuck into their rooms and gave them food. I knew my mom was going to punish me, but I still did it just like Peeta.
    This book is very unique, Suzanne Collins really thought out how the society was structured in her book. Suzanne Collins made the story more interesting by gradually giving the readers the information we needed to understand the story. The story is well written, you can easily understand the character’s personality and know who is speaking when there is dialogue. I think that most books that are  dystopian fiction aren’t similar to each other, each boo has its own interpretation of a ruined society. This book is different because it doesn’t clearly state what caused the destruction of society like other books. All the pieces of the book fit in and it makes sense why these events occurred in the book. Suzanne Collins did a good job describing the setting, in district 12 she described how poor the town was and how the people lived in poverty by describing the state the people were in. Also in the arena I felt like I was Katniss because the author described the hunger and thirst in great detail, and I pictured the arena as if I was standing in it--she described the heat the sun gave and the how the trees stood tall.
    Suzanne Collins did a good job exploring the themes of perseverance and family ties. People who understand that the love you have for your family affects your actions can really form a bond with Katniss and understand the many sacrifices that she made. This book inspires you to make sacrifices to do the right thing.     `
I recommend this book to people who are looking for a good science fiction or dystopian fiction book. There is a lot of detail and emotion in this book; it has adventure and cliff hangers.