Eaccd622 66c5 48ab 878f 4aff3503487b

paperbird

infj | poet | daydreamer
harry potter lover

LIKE THIS SO THAT I SEND IT TO THEM

MY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR WRITE THE WORLD

45
i’ll email this to them if it gets enough likes.
i understand that this piece is a bit harsh, and that it may get taken down.  i’m doing my best, and i’d love your support.

1. MORE BADGES.  i’ve earned all 20.  there’s not a lot people who have been here for over six months can hope to achieve.  we need more badges, harder ones that will encourage people to publish good work and support others.

2. TAGGING SYSTEM.  i’ve had three pieces taken down and it’s frankly ridiculous.  none of the people who commented on the work were offended or disturbed.  i know we can’t operate without zero censorship, but this is a problem easily solved: the ability to tag works that might contain certain themes, so that readers are alerted before they decide to read.

3. BETTER COMPETITIONS.  i’ve entered three of their competitions and every single time i have been incredibly disappointed.  
problem number one: they’re way too short.  i have no time to contemplate what i want to write, or do proper revisions, because i’m constantly stressed into getting the draft in time for expert review and then for the deadline.  as someone who likes to peer review competition entries, i am always discouraged from offering feedback because i’m afraid that the review won’t arrive in time for the writer to make any serious revision.
problem number two: they give no recognition to 99% of their entries.  sure, you’re golden if you placed first or second.  but they don’t give mention to the top ten or the top five or literally anything except the two very best entries.  i have no clue of knowing if i was even close.

4. A BETTER SYSTEM FOR RECOGNITION OF GOOD WORK.  i think that’s what their instagram is supposed to be for, but recently their instagram has been getting worse—it involves a lot less writing and a lot more random peer review quotes that have no resonance whatsoever.
a while ago, they had a user from their staff who went around and commented on a bunch of really expert work.  i think that was a good system, but i stopped receiving those types of comments around august; i think they stopped using that method of recognition.
the michael lydon blog posts are all very well, but they only work for prompts.  he doesn’t mention any kind of free writing piece.  i think that this is something that seriously needs to be updated.

• i.xue

Yes to all of the above comments and everything in this post, but especially @RainandSonder--
    YES.

• weirdo

I haven't been a part part of the Write the World community as long as most of you guys, but I totally agree with everything here. Although I've only submitted to one contest, I've looked at the other contests and seen how inefficient they really are. The time frame and word limit is ridiculous!
    I hope Write the World acknowledges these suggestions and take them into consideration so that they can make updates to this website/

• Rose, Thorn

I agree with almost every sentence

• spearmint

YES, YES, and YES!!! Especially the competition one! I've been around for about three competitions, and I have never joined one. I don't find pleasure in writing a super detailed movie review, or explaining every aspect of a book. I also agree with the censoring. I read a piece, and it was just amazing, but it was taken down. Later, the same writer joined my competition, but their piece was taken down because it was "too graphic". The author emailed me later, and I read the piece. It was just fine!! I think maybe we should have more competitions at once, and when a user hosts a contest, they should like, let people know. I've also felt the need for better prompts because usually, I'm unable to relate to them.

• CuriosityKilledTheCat

YES!! Agree with all of this and the suggestions in the comments are great!!!

• RainAndSonder

Also more fiction competitions! 99% of the things that people use this website to write are short stories and poetry, and yet we get travel and personal narrative and movie reviewing contests. Also, a better organization system would be great. As soon as pieces are off the dashboard, hardly anyone reads them unless they're republished, and there's no genre system or popular works tab or anything.

• Big Blue

A better communication system overall would also be greatly appreciated. Sure the comments section is okay, but having some kind of chat room(s) or something would benefit those who can't get on things like Discord or Skype, etc. I really hope this actually does something. If not then I'll make my own damn website if I have to

• engi_aek

I agree with pretty much all these comments....
    commenting notifications especially.
    also i really love the idea that wtw sort of pitched a while back of a printed book with all our work in it when we have to leave the site at 19. i think that is the best since it's sad we have to leave but we can bring out work with us etc.
    I think that WTW is working to change this tho, notifications, work recognition especially, I have also talked about this with a few other members and people from wtw, they want to make it better and for everyone to be happy, so they'll appreciate your email.

yes yes yes to all the things you've suggested paperbird. some of these ideas in the comments are good too (thank god we got over wanting to have a messaging system), and honestly just looking at the instagram makes me annoyed with its mediocrity. as always, we need a way to reply to comments - this goes under the username mentioning thing, but it's easier if you just notify the user when they've been pinged, y'know? i only joined after august but i would love expert reviews (i honestly had no idea they even happened any more) and (this is going off on a tangent and im about to sound hella full of myself) wtw should hire me cos i always find the good pieces. hire me wtw. let me run the instagram.

• stripedfly1001

This is amazing <3 I think it would be nice if they had a competition with entry qualifications (must have 30 pieces published or so) so that way the only people who win aren't those with one or two published pieces.

• palindrome

OMGoodness yes! Maybe, add like a showcase for each writer, so they can have their favorite pieces up front, cause some of my personal favorites are like 50 pieces into my profile! Good luck, hope you get the support you need!
    Write Free!

• Budding Mae

You could mention that people be notified when their username is mentioned? I remember someone bringing it up at some point.

• paperbird

i will definitely include all suggestions in the email w/ credit to people who suggested. thank you for your support!

• Kahasai

100% agree with you on this. One thing I'd like changed about the competitions (in addition to what you've mentioned) is that the word max only ever reaches a 1,000 words. So much more story (with better quality) can be added with even an added 500 words (though, personally, I work best at 2,700 word limit).

I hope they make the changes you mentioned. There's so much they can do to update the site; this doesn't even mentioned the organization system (which, frankly, is quite terrible when put into consideration all the great tech out there for relatively cheap prices).

Good luck!
    (And great profile pic.)

• asteria

if other people comment with ideas you like, can you add them to the email? (give credit to other writers' ideas, though) this is a good idea Paperbird :)

• asteria

i really like the idea for more badges. and i wish competitions were longer, too. perhaps there could also be a few competitions at a time, also. because the competitions are great, but everyone entering the same one at the same time probably makes it difficult to choose winners.

• AbigailSauble

Agreed.