Yosemite 6

Christy Wisdom

Hello people! What to say? I'm a Christian girl. I like to write. I write tons of poetry, some short stories, and other things.
I like
NARUTO
Imagine Dragons
LOTR
Harry Potter
Agents of SHIELD
Artemis Fowl
My Hero Academia
God bless you!

There is no happiness like that of being loved by your fellow-creatures, and feeling that your presence is an addition to their comfort. - Jane Eyre

Not all those who wander are lost. - Lord of the Rings

I have come home at last! This is my real country! I belong here. This is the land I have been looking for all my life, though I never knew it till now. -C.S. Lewis, The Last Battle

Things to know about me
1. I'm a Christian.
2. I'm Pro-life.
3. I do not put any swearing (oh my gosh included) into any of my stories.
4. I will not put any sex or nudity into my stories.
Thank you to all who have supported me, and feedback is always welcome!
Also, if you comment on a piece of mine, I will generally respond to it at some point.

An Unusual Story

"Stay back, human. You don't know what you're dealing with." When us readers come across a book from the fantasy and action/adventure genres, we tend to find that the main character is obnoxious, hot-tempered, and sort of stupid. But this book delivers a protagonist who's quite different from the stereotypical one. If you enjoyed books such as Harry Potter and Percy Jackson but are tired of the same old character flaws, you would love Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer. How is the protagonist different than any other you've read about before? That's what I aim to explain. 
  Artemis Fowl II, the main character, is a twelve-year-old genius. Now, this might not seem like too much of a stretch, considering that a lot of characters are special in their own ways. Some can do powerful magic and some are great at fighting, etc. However, rather than the emotional, reckless people that you usually read about, Artemis is cold, collected, snappy, and always ten steps ahead of his opponent. Aurem Potestas Est (gold is power) is his motto, and he delights in using criminal means to fulfill his goals. His newest venture sounds a little on the crazy side, though; he wants to capture a fairy. But to that he would answer, “Let us proceed under the assumption that the fairy folk do exist, and that I am not a gibbering moron.” With his trusty bodyguard/butler, Butler, by his side, nobody can foil his dastardly plans. Nobody's smart enough. Artemis Fowl is the first a series, and marks the start of the genius's many adventures and dealings with the fairies. 
    This book delighted me. It was refreshing to read a book where the protagonist, plot, and theme were so radically different than what is usually presented in action and fantasy genres. This book makes you feel as if you are reading from the villain's point of view, rather than the hero's, which results in an amazing character arc. This book is just the first in a series, but it sets the stage for the character development, plot, and themes excellently.
    The character development is one of the best things about this book series, and Artemis Fowl gives us the starting off point. Because Artemis is a genius with such a high IQ, he has trouble truly respecting many other people. He has no friends, and his only companion is his bodyguard and his bodyguard's sister. Of course, this doesn't seem to bother him. But as we progress through the book, this emotionless child, a solemn boy with a vampire's smile and who acts like an adult rather than a pre-teen, begins to look just a little more human. I enjoyed this aspect of the book because it's so unique. A trend in books seems to be to write a person who has a tragic backstory, gets angry easily, and isn't very smart. At this point, it seems like all the characters with those traits are just one person being reused in different universes, and it gets tiring to read about the same flaws over and over again. However, Eoin Colfer has presented us with a character like no other; not necessarily one who could be easily related to, but an interesting one nonetheless.
    Another great thing about the book series is the theme. This book series focuses on how even the coldest person is still human, and even the most selfish person can learn how to care for others. The first book, though, only shows the starting point in the idea that for all the walls a person can build to protect themselves, there's still a heart that can feel emotion hiding behind it. it gives us just enough looks behind the icy exterior of Artemis Fowl II that we can't help but root for him throughout the book. 
    All in all, I would totally recommend this book. It's a great read and well-suited for teenagers. There's only a tiny bit of mild language in it, so it's pretty safe if you don't like swearing. It's exciting, funny, and has wonderful characters, themes, and an amazing plot. The only thing I would mention, though, is that it includes only the barest hint of romance, and none at all in this first book. For me, that fact just made it even better, but some people do not have the same mindset. Whatever your preference, this is an amazing book by an amazing author, and you should read it ASAP.

• Christy Wisdom

Thanks a lot! I'll have to check out that review sometime :)

• Kahasai

Ah, yes, the amazing Artemis Fowl. I loved that series, though I hardly remember it anymore. You did well describing it. I agree that it's a fantastic read with quite an unusual protagonist. You may like Six of Crows, except for that from what I can tell, you prefer you stories clean ... Six of Crows isn't entirely clean. Someone (or maybe a couple someones?) did a review of it for this book competition, if want to learn more.