lina13

"There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." - Ernest Hemingway

Letter to a Sister

PROMPT: Love in Words

9
I remember that my parents were so careful to prepare me for you. They would tell me that you were coming, and told me stories about the importance of sharing. I read picture books that explained that older siblings shouldn’t be jealous when younger siblings receive more attention; babies need more care, after all. My mother took my hand and placed it on her swollen stomach, explaining gently that I would no longer be the only child in the family. I think they were terrified that I wouldn’t like you. 

But when I saw you, there was no hesitation. No jealousy. I loved your little hands and feet, and the way you gurgled and smiled when I pulled faces. I loved your first babbling words and your first awkward steps. I loved the way you looked up to me, but also the way you were determined to form your own identity. 

Our parents were so careful to prepare me for you. But when you finally arrived, it was like we’d known each other all our lives. 

• 2A,2H and 1D

This is so beautiful, I've read a lot about sisterhood but this one that will forever be carved in my heart.
    Loved the last sentence in particular, I'm sure that all the older sisters can relate!
    This piece is very close to my heart.
    I love you and admire your work!

• Kthrasher5

Congrats on getting featured on Instagram! This peice was short but so powerful, I even started tearing up—which i don’t normally do! Great, great work!

• Gabriel Goodwin

I love the lightheartedness and care of this piece. It's practically oozing with it and it gave me such a great feeling. Thank you for this!

• Gabriel Goodwin

This is amazing ahhhhh! Keep writing!!!

• ashleykirantan

This piece gave me warm and fuzzy tingles – I'm so glad you love your sister so deeply and affectionately.