Dsc 0263

AbigailSauble

Child of God
Pro-life
Photographer
Marine sister
Blogger
English Country Dancer
Dessert enthusiast
Sun-Child
Reader
Musician
Singer
Artist
ISFJ-A
Wind Chaser
Volleyball devotee
Movie quoter
Tea drinker
Airsofter
Cat lover
Youtuber

' "Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet My unfailing love for you will not be shaken, nor My covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD.' ~ Isaiah 54:10

Proud USMC sister!

FAVORITE QUOTES:

"Most people never meet their heroes;
I grew up with mine." ♥

“And the one good thing about being down here, is that we’ll save on funeral expenses.” ~ Puddleglum (The Silver Chair)

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. ~ John F. Kennedy

How lucky am I to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard. ~ Winnie the Pooh

https://wheniwasanartist.blogspot.com/

To Trust and Let Go

3
Is there a happily ever after out there for me? 
   I sat back in the scratchy, red theater seat as the credits for Cinderella trailed up the screen. My eyes glanced over the couples sprinkled around the dark room. My heart jerked a little. There seemed to be someone out there for everyone. 
Except me. This was a bad idea. 

I sighed, and pulled myself to my feet, crumpling my ticket with a tight fist. I was weary. Weary of feeling alone, and so ... lost. 
   The crunching of popcorn beneath my flat, lace-up sandals did little to make my mind forget. Forget everything. I traced the tile-patterned carpet out the glass doors of the Albany Regal Theater, pausing for a second on the sidewalk as I looked for my car. 
   My second-hand, beat-up, red Jeep. 
I frowned, fumbling with the keys in my purse. Why was I so dissatisfied? I knew that mom had noticed. She had that look in her eyes. 
   I could practically hear her saying something about how God was working in my life, even when it didn't seem like it. 
Well it sure doesn't feel like it, now. I pulled the drivers' door shut behind me and twisted the key in the ignition. Once, twice. 
   Third time's a charm. I winced as the engine sputtered to life, then glared at the blue sky. My engine's working better than You. Half-expecting a bolt of lightning or maybe a small earthquake, I lowered the parking brake and backed out of the white-lined space. 
   On the drive home, window all the way down, reflective aviators over my eyes, I cranked the radio up, and tried not to think. Thinking led to too much reminiscing. Reminiscing was too painful. 
   The next intersection was when my day went from bad to terrible. 
The light was red, and I glanced down at my dashboard. My heart did a double take as I saw the temperature gauge. 
   Well past boiling. 
I stared at it for a full five seconds until a horn blared angrily behind me. Dazed, I saw the light was now green. 
   What do I do? I tapped uncertainly at my accelerator, watching the red needle steadily climb higher. Hazard lights. I punched the unused button, and pulled over into the bike lane. The Ford Fusion behind me revved its engine and pushed past me. 
   What do I do? Cell phone. Call dad. My hands trembled as I dug in my purse for my old Tracphone. Hoping - praying at this point - that there were still some minutes left, I pushed the buttons and waited for the voicemail to end. Or dad to pick up. I squeezed my eyes shut. 
   "Hello, you've reached the phone of Dale Harper, please leave a message and I'll get back to you asap." Beeeep.
'Hi, dad? It's Sierra." My voice shook. "The Jeep's acting weird. The temperature's way up. I don't know what to do." A pause. "I'm just past the intersection of Tidepool and 5th Street. I guess I'll call mom, too." Another pause. "Bye." 
   C'mon mom, please pick up. I dialed. It rang once, twice. Third time's a charm. A third time. 
"This is the voicemail of Lillian Harper. Please leave a message after the beep. Thanks!" Beeeep. 
   "Mom, hi. This is Sierra. Please please please call back. The Jeep's broken down near Tidepool and 5th Street, and I don't know what to do. I hope you get this soon. Bye." 
   Dropping the phone into my lap, I eyed the temperature again. Stabilized. For now. 
A late model, black Buick pulled in front of me and stopped, causing my heart rate to spike. Jeep fail and stranger help. I do not need this right now. 
   I watched as the driver, a young - maybe in college - man with dirty-blonde hair, faded jeans, and a navy t-shirt that read 'Eat Sleep Volleyball' stepped out and walked over to my Jeep. 
   I saw, as he neared, that his eyes were light, maybe green or gray, and he wore a dog-tag chain around his neck. 
He stopped a few feet from my window. I felt for my phone and flipped it open, ready to dial 9-1-1 if need be. 
"Need any help?" His forehead was wrinkled with worry. 
   "It just heated up, and I'm not sure what to do about it." Please let that not be a naive thing to say. 
"Might want to turn off the engine so it can cool down, ma'am." He stepped forward. 
   I wanted to whack my forehead good and hard. Duh. "Okay." 
The Jeep fell silent as I turned the key. I realized late that I should've brought the window back up. Too late now. 
"I've got a cone or something in my trunk. I'll be right back." The man turned and jogged back to his car. 
   I'll be here. I lay back against the headrest, trying to relax my shoulders. It didn't work. 
I startled as the Tracphone vibrated violently in my hand. 
   My heart gave a leap for joy at the familiar number on the screen. I answered in less than a second. 
"Dad?" 
   "I'm on my way, hon. You off the road in a safe place?" His tone was sprinkled with concern. I heard the sound of traffic in the background. 
I eyed the stranger as he placed a reflective orange cone between our two vehicles. He glanced over at me, then slowly walked over. 
"Well, I'm taking over a bike lane, but I'm afraid to move anywhere." 
   "Okay, okay." The phone went silent. "Did you turn the car off?" 
"Yes. Someone stopped to see if I needed any help, and he placed one of those cone thingys in front of me. To alert people, I guess." My gaze flicked from the stranger's face to the temperature gauge. He isn't that bad looking. 
"Good. I'll be there in ten minutes. Call me if anything changes." 
   "I will, bye." 
I snapped the phone shut, shifting it from hand to hand as I studied the stranger, who by now was just beyond my windshield. 
He advanced a few more short strides, as though trying not to alarm me. 
   Too late for that, pal. 
He smiled. And man, did it change his face. My face warmed. I must be in pretty deep if I'm attracted at first sight to men on the highway. 
"You said that the temperature is up really high, right?" 
   I leaned my head on the window frame to hear him better. Humidity plastered itself over me and sweat trickled down my white tank top. Vehicles ran by, whipping shoulder-length strings of hair across my face. 
   "Yeah. But like I said, I don't know what to do about it." 
The man shoved one hand into his front left jeans' pocket before answering. "You want me to take a look?" He paused, then added quickly: "Under the hood." 
   I hesitated, and he went on. 
   "Because if it's just a lack of coolant, then I can refill it no problem. I've got some in the back of my car." 
"Well my dad's going to be here, soon." I blurted, hoping I didn't sound too distrustful. I glanced down the road, hoping to see a white Ford Ranger. But no. 
   "Oh, that's fine." The man shrugged, then stepped closer. "I'm Andrew Terrall, by the way." 
A smile pried my lips open. "I'm Sierra. Thank you for stopping to see if I needed help. That was really nice of you." 
   "No biggie. I'd want someone to do that for me." He shrugged again, turned toward his car, then looked back at me. 
I sensed a bit of urgency in his meaningless glance, and came to his rescue. The irony. "If you need to be somewhere, it's no problem. My dad will be here soon." I gave the street another once-over. Well, he should be here soon. 
   He glanced down at his watch, strapped with the head on the front of his wrist. "I've got a few minutes. Is it alright if I stay until your dad gets here? Just in case?" 
Sweet as well as handsome. "If you want to. But you really don't have to." Even though I'm thankful you're staying. I pushed my aviators back up to the bridge of my nose. Man, it's warm. I looked for a piece of paper or something to fan myself with. Of course there's nothing. Why would there be? 
   Andrew came closer. 
His eyes are green. I affirmed, hoping he couldn't see my stare. 
   "Do you have lots of problems with your Jeep?" 
I tried not to think of how adorable he looked when he smiled. "Just the typical problems of not starting right away. It hasn't done this before." 
   "Okay. Then it's probably nothing too major." 
Thanks for the encouragement. I smiled. "Hope not." 
Awkward silence. 
   I glanced over at the busy road, swallowing a chortle. Or, as silent as it ever gets around here. 
Then I realized Andrew was still studying me. Heat flamed up my face. It's hot out here. A smirk twisted my lips. And other places, too. 
   A smile flickered onto his face, and he looked down at his black tennis shoes. 
I hesitated a fraction of a second, then leaned further out the window. "Mr. Terrall, it really is extremely sweet of you to stay, but I'm sure you have more important places to be." I offered a grin. My hair took that opportunity to fly inside my mouth. Bleh. Perfect timing, wind. Thanks. I pulled it out, watching his face. 
   Conflicting emotions ran across his handsome features, and I felt genuinely sorry for him. 
Ah! There on the horizon flies a beautiful white dot which just may be my dad riding to my rescue! Thank You, sweet Jesus! 
   "Mr. Terrall," I tried again. 
"Andrew." His green eyes twinkled. "It's Andrew." 
I blushed. Like a fool, Sierra. Nice. "Andrew. I think I see my dad's truck, so really, you're fine to go." 
   His gaze darted down the street. And it seemed like - no, he can't be - hesitant to leave. 
Then he smiled back at me, and I figured I'd imagined it. 
"Okay, well, I guess I'll," he turned toward the Buick, "get going." 
   Words hitched in my throat. What should I say? 
   He looked back at me. "It was nice to meet you, Sierra. Hope you don't have any more problems with your car." 
"Thank you." I pushed my sunglasses back up. 
   A white Ford Ranger pulled off into a Starbucks parking-lot across the street, and I felt like singing with relief. 
I waved at the familiar tall figure, causing Andrew to swivel around to see who I was waving at. 
   "Your dad?" His eyes connected with mine. 
"Yeah." 
   Then my dad's voice broke through the uncomfortable pause. "Sorry that I couldn't get here sooner, hon." He ran a calloused hand through his graying hair, then seemed to notice Andrew standing there. 
"Hello there." Dad extended his hand, giving his 'daughter's hero' a winsome grin. "I'm Dale Harper, Sierra's dad. Thank you for stopping to see if she needed help. I appreciate it." 
   "Not a problem, sir. I was happy to do it." They shook hands, and I rolled my eyes. Men. 
Dad strode over to my window. "What's the temperature doing?"
Nothing compared to my face right now. "It's gone down a little. Andrew thought it just needed some coolant." I exchanged a look with Andrew, who stood near his car, ready to flee. 
   "Well we'd better not touch anything until the temperature goes all the way down." Dad lifted his head, peering up at the open skies. "Though in this heat, it may never cool down." 
I know my face won't. At least not with Andrew still here. 
   Mr. Terrall stepped up beside my dad. "Anything else I can do before heading off?" 
"No, son, you've been more than helpful. Thank you. Hope we haven't made you late for anything." Dad clapped him on the shoulder. 
   "Oh no, you haven't." Andrew seemed to rethink after a moment. "I mean, not very late. My date will understand." A secret smile crept onto his face, and I wanted to pout. 
Well, sure. Of course he has a girlfriend. All the good guys are already taken. Phooey. 
"Bye, Andrew. Thanks again." My smile was forced this time, and I watched him nod his head, climb into his car, and merge into traffic. And out of my life.
   I sighed internally. 
Yup. All the good ones are already taken. 

*

... to be continued ...

• February 16, 2019 - 9:16am (Now Viewing)

• AbigailSauble

I know, I know ... I need to finish it ...

• Victoria Penning

You had BETTER continue this!!! I really enjoyed reading this. :D

• izagrace04

WOW! This was really good!!

• Mary Wall

Aww... I can't wait for more!