Pic 123

Pranavi Ambati

Hey! Call me 'Pranavi'. I am an avid reader and belong to multiple fandoms.
Apart from reading, I like listening to music, which keep varying across genres.

Hello, all. This is my first time writing online and it would be high appreciable if you leave honest feedback as it will help me progress further. Thank you.

All The Light We Cannot See

“The brain is locked in total darkness, of course, children. It floats in a clear liquid inside the skull, never in the light. And yet the world it constructs in the mind is full of light. It brims with colour and movement. So how, children, does the brain, which lives without a spark of light, build for us a world full of light?”  

Authored by Anthony Doerr, All The Light We Cannot See is a tale set in the occupied France during WW-II, about two children, Marie-Laure and Werner. They are just ordinary children, two of the many who find themselves knee-deep in a conflict that does not concern them.

Blind at the age of six, Marie-Laure, is brought up by her father, a locksmith working at the Museum of Natural History. Marie-Laure is taught on how to navigate around the city by her father, who does it by constructing a model of the city of Paris. At the Jardin des Plantes, the favourite place of the two, the blind girl orients herself, counting drain covers and streets, recognising the scents of various trees and flowers.

Here is to say that, “To shut your eyes is to guess nothing of blindness. Beneath your world of skies and faces and buildings exists a rawer and older world, a place where surface planes disintegrate and sounds ribbon in shoals through the air”.

Another story, that of a young German boy, is narrated parallelly. Named Werner, the orphaned lad gains quick recognition among the Nazis for his astonishing skill at fixing radios, leading to his relocation at an elite school Reich, which is brutal and unrelenting.

As the tale progresses, the eagerness of knowing how people from worlds apart come across and fall for each other in this tale of young love and technology, given the circumstances, keeping soaring high. How would these young souls find each other, if not fall in love, in the Nazi period, when the check on everyone’s background was high and the term Nationalism was used to generate aggressiveness and hatred towards the residents of other countries?

In 1994, the two paths travelled by each converge, as the Allied Forces land on the beaches of Normandy, for at the same time Werner’s unit is dispatched to Saint-Malo by the Nazis to trace and destroy all mysterious Intelligent broadcasts.

At this point, I am also obliged to quote, “In the midst of Chaos, there is also opportunity, as the tale oscillates between radiance and shadows. As every page marks the onset of new challenges and new solutions, shaping the lives of those in the regions affected by War.

One such challenge is that of the Sea of Flames, an exquisite blue diamond, with dancing Red Flames at the centre. It is associated with a curse, for those who keep it shall live an eternal life and their dear ones shall face numerous misfortunes, perish and die.

All this is achieved by Doerr in a way just as intricate and complex as the puzzle boxes crafted by Marie-Laure’s father, each year as a present. Every piece of story is alluring and fascinating. You feel as if all this were happening right in front of your eyes, such is the imagery of this book, such is the taste of its text.

The writing was so captivating and never had I known that seeing the world through the eyes of a blind could be just as colourful and beautiful as ours own. It broke barriers and stereotypes that the world of the visually impaired is just achromatic, the white and the blank, with hues of greys and coals. The narrative shows variations in colours and moods, the same way our eyes allow us to see variations in the shapes, sizes and designs of the world around us.

But what captivates the heart of the reader is the name of the book for it is a reminder that people don’t disappear, they simply turn into the light that cannot be seen.  

• February 11, 2019 - 7:31am (Now Viewing)

• Bethia Maria

I'm currently 43 pages into the book and loving it! :)