Eaccd622 66c5 48ab 878f 4aff3503487b

paperbird

i hope someone understands this

square tree

11
often i am angry with the tree outside my window
a tree should not be countered, metered by its tendencies
but when i look outside i begin to wonder:
the other oaks are flashy peacocks, shedding crimson to their lands
but my tree is gray, slitted, got glassy eyes
geometrical, and it hits the sky like a block or brick
and its timetable must have been licked by sloths
because it hasn’t moved once since i arrived—
it simply stands.  sometimes it stares.

1

• JCWriter

Wow, I like this!

• JadeAndSerpentine

*In my previous comment, I hadn't read the comments below...

• JadeAndSerpentine

I'm not sure if this is so ambiguous that it's inherently poetic or if it's so poetic that it's inherently ambiguous. I feel like this could be one of two things: a) a really awesome, deep and developed metaphor, or b) beautiful randomness. If it's a metaphor, I have no idea. And if it's randomness, then who is to understand that anyway?

• paperbird

thank you! i suppose i wrote this about a man made building in a cluster of trees—it’s sort of a comment on how unnatural we’re making the world.

• loveletterstosappho

i'm still pondering the meaning but other than that i adore this piece - the rhythm suits the content and flows not quite lyrically, but incredibly nonetheless (such lyricality wouldn't suit this piece, i think). amazing

the first thing i thought when i saw this title was "square root" but this is so much more than that. i feel like i'm grasping at air when i try to pin down a concrete meaning for this piece - introspective projection? - yet it's so poetic i can't help but read it again and again. maybe if you want to clarify some more things you could add a few lines, since you yourself say you're not sure if this is something that people can understand. keep up the good work! (i always end my comments like this, i feel like a teacher lmao)

• AbigailSauble

I like your descriptions. =)