AudienceOfOne

I am
a Child of God
a writer
a reader
a dancer
a volleyball player
a runner
a daughter
a wizard
a demigod
a tribute
I am
Me
"Happiness can be found in the darkest of times if one remembers to turn on the light."
Albus Dumbledore

Hello guys!
Something to inspire:
~Psalm 139:14
My Five Life Rules:
Small Dreams are Pointless
Know Who You Represent
Make Decisions For Yourself-not anyone else
Fitting In Is Overrated
Ice Cream Forever
And to quote the forever amazing Hermione Granger:
"We could have been killed, or worse, expelled."
:):):):)

Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys; Bringing Tears to My Eyes

Four characters. One brutal war. Each one is fighting for his or her own life as the second world battle rages on. Emilia is just a young Polish girl, who has to embrace the responsibility not only for her own life but also for the one growing inside her. Joana is an aspiring nurse, and takes Emilia under her wing, but when she meets a wounded man out on her journey, his compelling rebellious nature takes her feelings on a whirlwind of adventure. Florian is on the run, whose only goal is to stay alive and moving, but when he is injured and Joana nurses him back to health, he stays a little longer than he expected. Alfred is different than all the rest, standing along side the warriors and soldiers of the war. However, Alfred's lack of courage and abundance of arrogance takes an even farther tumble, and fatal crash, when his path crosses with Emilia, Joana, and Florian. As the story unfolds, the twists and turns of each individual's path weave together to create a wonderfully emotional, heartfelt, and inspiring tale, and gives readers a captivating view at what it means to be a survivor.
    When I read this book for the first time, I cried. I legitimately broke down and sobbed into my pillow. I didn't bother to turn the page(though it really would have helped if I did), I was so caught up in that moment. Though, yes, I am a more emotional person than some, this book caught me off guard like no other did. The plot twists of this story kept me on my toes. There was never a dull moment. I read about the struggles of each character, and developed relationships with each one of them. When they cried, I cried. When they were happy, so was I. As I continued to read further and further, I not only became attached to the characters, but to the issues each one of them faced. Emilia is your 1940's example of someone who has been a victim of war crime, and has to pay the price for it. Throughout the story, I became so attached to her past and to her situation, and I wanted nothing more than for her and her child to survive. Not only that, but as the author, Ruta Sepety, illustrated the setting of World War 2, I was appalled by the amount of poverty and hardship that people faced at that time. It helped me realize just how terrible it was back then for people, and how awful it would be if I were in that situation. This book really helped me find awareness of different problems society has faced over time, and it helped me understand what different people must have gone through.
    Not to mention Ruta Sepetys's way of words crafted the story so well, I felt as if I was with the characters alongside them on their journey. I felt their pain and sorrow, and their joy and success. I saw what it meant to sacrifice yourself for something that you love. Sepety's use of four different perspectives in the book really help readers understand each point of view. I was able to connect with each one of the characters and see the world from where they were coming from. The cliff hangers Sepety left after each individual's chapter only made me want to keep reading more. Additionally, Sepety's wonderful variance in sentence structure truly helped convey emotion throughout the story. There was not a point throughout the entire book where I wanted to stop reading. It was truly an adventure for me. 
    I would most definitely recommend this book to anyone who thinks they can handle some significant problems in our world's history, and who enjoys a rigorous story line, and a little bit of romance. No matter what type of reader you think you are, I challenge you to pick up this book and try it, you might be surprised. It was more than I ever imagined, and I hope you might think so too. 

• AudienceOfOne

Yes! I love that book too! Isn't it like kind of a prequel for Salt to the Sea?

• Pi_Pen

Wow, I wrote a review for a book by Sepetys, too! I wonder if you've read "Between Shades of Gray"?