Silver Pen

Christian/LOVE Jesus/she/her/big family/scifi/fantasy/Minnesotan/good books/beautiful words/wit/Halo/notebooks and pens/old book smell/coffee/ royalty/honor/love

I know I was too late for the actual contest, but any feedback would be appreciated. I got an expert review, and the reviewer suggested that I covered too much territory in my piece. Is it confusing? I'm no whiz, but maybe my familiarity with the Bible led me to simply put too much information in my piece. Is that the case?

The Bible: A Book Review

The Bible usually isn't seen as a story -- more as a compilation of sermons or as a textbook.  But it's so much more: a bold and beautiful history of the Creator's romance with mankind.
    It begins at the very beginning with this assertion:
    "And God said, Let there be light: and there was light."
    Not "And God said, Let there be light: and there was light, and I can prove it with these scientific facts."  It's a statement forceful in its simplicity that tells us, "This is what happened, and this is Who caused it and what He is like."
    Not that God the Main Character doesn't have a stellar support cast.  Consider this account of the little-known mighty man Benaiah, one of my personal favorites:
    "...he went down also and slew a lion in the midst of a pit in time of snow:
    And he slew an Egyptian, a goodly man: and the Egyptian had a spear in his hand; but he went down to him with a staff, and plucked the spear out of the Egyptian's hand, and slew him with his own spear."
    Benaiah evidently had a sense of poetic justice along with his insane courage.  He gets four sentences, apart from being mentioned at Solomon's coronation; and yet his soul is ramped across the page with a masterful insight into human nature.  Here's another example from Proverbs:
    "It is better to dwell in the corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman and in a wide house."
    Husbands, you know what I'm talking about.  
    The King James Version also holds me spellbound with the stately speech of 14th century English and the poetry housed in it, like these verses in Psalms:
    "Bless the Lord, O my soul. O Lord my GOd, thou art very great; thou art clothed with honour and majesty.  Who coverest thyself with light as with a garment: who stretchest out the heavens like a curtain:  Who layeth the beams of his chambers in the waters: who maketh the clouds his chariot: who walketh upon the wings of the wind: Who maketh his angels spirits; his ministers a flaming fire: Who laid the foundations of the earth, that it should not be removed for ever."
    Or how about this verse from the epoch of human history:
    "Jesus said unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God."
    Think about it.  He Who made the universe, Who walks on the wings of the wind, our Dad?  But the promises get even more outrageous:
    "There is now therefore no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." 
    And the promises and beauty collide in the Bible's glimpse of the end, where the story is resolved with the garantee of a sequel:
    "And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.  And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.  And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with theem, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away."   
    Like every classic, the Bible has an abundance of themes that resound in humanity: hate, revenge, redemption, war, heartache, healing, goodness, evil, joy, and love, to name a few.  Far and away, though, the main themes are God's love and character.  That is what sets the Bible above every other book in the world.  That's why people died in horrible ways so that we can read the Bible in our own languages.  And it's why I would whole-heartedly recommend this book to anyone: the hope that we can glimpse God in the print of His book.  That applies to everyone in the world, Christian and non-Christian alike.  Knowing God is the beginning and the end, the good, the better, and the best.  I hope you have that blessing, and if you don't, that you receive it soon, because that's the best thing I can wish for you.

1

• Mia.04

Amazing! :)

Amen! :)

• weirdo

i don't know much about the bible (even though i should cuz i go to a Catholic school and have religion class twice a week) but this is really good and deep and really sumss it up in a nice way. i still don't think ill read more of the bible than i have to though. i've already been forced to read the gospel of Mark and that was exhausting