sarahthomas

Hi my name is Sarah and I am a freshman in high school. This is a review on my favorite book, and I hope you find my review helpful and appealing :)

Book Review Competition- Sarah Thomas

"People think of heaven as a paradise garden, a place where they can float on clouds and laze in rivers and mountains. But scenery without solace is meaningless. This is the greatest gift God can give you; to understand what happened in your life," Mitch Albom writes, in his life changing book, "The Five People You Meet in Heaven." There are some books that you read out of choice, others you just prefer to wait until the movie version comes out. However, Album's "The Five People you Meet In Heaven" is truly a book that will open your eyes and alter your perspective on life forever. Eddie, the main character is a maintenance man at the historic amusement park, Ruby Pier. He believes that his life is meaningless and has no substance, no matter what he has gone through or encountered in all his 83 years on Earth.  He spends his days monitoring the rides and making it his duty to take responsibility for the safety and enjoyment of the park. However, one day when Eddie is repairing a ride, his fate takes a tragic turn and a fatal accident ends up killing Eddie unexpectedly. Although the book starts off at the tragic point of Eddies death, it only escalates from there teaching the readers the importance of life. The lessons that we can take from this book will stick with the reader for many lifetimes to come, just like they did Eddie. 
    When Eddie arrives in heaven, there are five unexpected people there waiting to guide him to the past, teaching Eddie that there is a web of interconnection between all of us here on Earth. Our stories overlap with one anothers, and even though we may not realize it fully, the similarities we share are what makes us so compatible with each other.  These characters play a signifiant role in teaching Eddie, as well as the reader, the importance of life on earth. Redemption, forgiveness, the value of ordinary blessings and the appreciation of life are all values that we can take from Eddie's story, and apply to our own lives. What really sticks out in Albums book, is the sense of wonder it has. Even though the reader has not experienced heaven, that is the beauty that this book provides. The story describes to us a world we do not know, have not experienced, or compared to anything else. We are free to imagine it in any way we want too; however in this particular story, we get to see it from Eddies perspective. 
    Other than Eddie, the characters in this book lead us through the tunnel of his life in a way that is not boring; in fact it is more intriguing then anything else. Each character shows how much Eddie has learned and grown throughout his life, and we as readers are ultimately drawn to this, and want to know more. We want to know what happens next, where Eddies journey in heaven takes him. As an author, this is a very impressive tactic and makes the book that much more enjoyable on top of being something to remanence about.
    Overall " The 5 People You Meet in Heaven" is a book crafted through the eyes of a very intelligent and inspiring author. Mitch Album did not just write this book to entertain, he wrote it to teach. He taught me personally, the importance of life and that you only get one shot to make the most of it. I have read a lot of books, and especially a handful of books that stand out from the rest. This book, being one that I don't think I will ever forget as long as I live. 
    The book " The Five People you Meet In Heaven" is a novel that did not only teach me about writing, it taught me about life, and I would recommend this book to anyone who wishes to have the same experience I did.  
Written by Sarah Thomas
15 years old
9th grade 

1