WritingDragon

I am a writer who is trying to write a novel. It's harder then I thought! Oh, well. I really enjoy reading everyone's work!
I love to read, write, build Lego's and cosplay, plus more!
Thanks for reading and writing!
-Writing Dragon

Thank you for having read and taken your time to write reviews about my first published piece. I really appreciate it! This is the re-edited piece after reading the advice given to me. Thank you again and to anyone who is reading this for the first time please feel free to tell me what you thought . I really wan to make this the best it can be. Thanks again!

The Giver

Have you ever wanted to be completely absorbed into a book? So much so that by the time you finish reading it you remember everything and nothing all at once? Ever wanted to allow a story to unfold before your eyes and all at once understand it, only to set it down and lose almost everything at once? Loose every memory of the events, the charters the place as your mind fills with vivid yet colorless pictures trying to recapture the memory? Did you fall in love with the world building in the Divergent series? Are you looking for a book that can wake you up from the world your living in and give you the kick start you need to begin your march towards reality?
    If so then you've stumbled across the right book. When I first read the Giver, I was engulfed into the story. The words used provided such a vividly colorless frame of mind that I couldn't put the book down, yet at the same time my mind became so fully enveloped into the story that I couldn't comprehend what was going on, while I would be so completely sure of what was happening that I couldn't stop. The story was like like a vivid fuzziness cut through by bone chilling wind. I had never read anything like it before, it was such a new experience, reading it made me so engrossed in the character that I had no idea what had happened before he had gotten to where he was, just that I knew he needed to be there. 
    The main character Jonas was born into a world of "perfection" he is surrounded by friends who are grounded in the reality as much as Jonas and try to help him through out his journey. The novel stars off slowly, introducing us the character and his world, typically I don't enjoy the first few chapters of a book to be written like this and this book no exception. However once once you make it past the first chapter the novel begins to focus on the world inside the covers of the book. Though slow paced it uses this time to introduce the reader into world of the story, setting firm pictures and laws in place. It is not until the ceremony that the story truly grabs hold of the reader and starts to show the reader the differences of Jonas's world from their own. This dystopian novel, a novel genre which means a a story set in world like our own that has been altered to become "perfect", is one to behold and reckoned as a well written story. Creating real characters and and grounding the reader in the world inside of the story.
    The Giver is a novel filled to the brim with twists and turns starting off with a gentle pace it keeps throughout, trapping the mind of the reader, switching their mind frame from color to black and white, causing even the reader to experience colors for what feels like the first time. The novel does such a good job of exploring the true and honest effects of a "perfect" world. Taking into account that to gain a truly equal world something must be sacrificed, somethings that are not replaceable. To quote the Giver "They have never known pain, he thought"(pg 110).
    Pain, something that many of us would enjoy living without. However with out pain there is no growth, we cannot learn from our mistakes, this is something that the Giver handles very well throughout the story. After having read the novel I felt more aware of what was going on in my own world, I was moved to begin looking into my own life and how my governing system was working. I felt like I needed to be aware of those over me and make sure that I knew what it was they were trying to make me believe. The novel left me with the feeling of being able to be the change in my own world and to wake up to the dull life I was living in.
    The novel focuses on the life of Jonas, a boy born into a perfect society. He has grown up under the influence of his reining Government and believes everything they are telling him whole hardheartedly. He wants to do whats excepted of him and become who he need to be. Worried about the ceremony that will determine his future job where he will work for the rest of his life he asks his parents if they feel like they had received the right job. After a few words of condolences he goes to the ceremony only to receive a job that killed the last person who was in his position. It is here that our hero begins to see things in anew light and here that he must begin to make decisions no one else has ever had to make. 
     The Giver can be read over and over again, each time leading the reader through new experience and helping to awaken them to the real world dangers in their lives that have been so meticulously ignored. Though written in third person the wording used in the giver allows the reader to feel as if they are the main character living in the story and learning of the events hidden under their nose. 
    I recommend reading this novel when your one fourth through your list of books to concur this year, its a good book to take your time reading and break from the fast paced novels. I would suggest that you take a few days to read it, even though it could be read in a day, so that you can truly enjoy the story and its ideas. Overall The Giver is a novel worth reading, while it may not be your favorite it is still an enjoyable read and full of great examples of both world and character building.

Sighing off for now, your friend- Writing Dragon

• WritingDragon

@ weirdo
    Thanks! I really enjoy this book every time I read it. I have not read the rest of the series yet, I just got the next three books and have started reading Gathering Blue super excited to read it!

• weirdo

I love this book and I your review really captured the main ideas of it. Have you read the other three? I just finished Gathering Blue about a week ago and I thought it was really good (although I still like The Giver better)

• Victoria Penning

I absolutely love this book!!! I also just watched the movie not to long ago, and they did a really great job of staying with the book. Except for a couple parts. XD but, this book helped me to look at my life in such a different way. To see what we have, and what it would be like with out, and it's made me so grateful for all that I have in my life. Both joy and pain. :)