Swan brothers

Laura

Letter to the future

Dear Future me

That's right I'm going to be cryogenically frozen and thawed out so I can see that future world. Hah, that's not really true I would never want to be frozen. I think life should have a natural end, at the moment they are playing with genetics to see if they can extend the human life or at least conquer the diseases of old age. But surely isn't mortality the last poingnantly real thing we've got left. It's supposed to be there to make life taste sweet, otherwise why would we care for the passing moment and the people we meet.

Dear future you

Well for a start we arn't related, there are no future children in my destiny. In the great swirling of genetic information contained in humanity we are probably still pretty close however. You just don't have my little quirks, lucky you. So what I left you was not a genetic heritage, instead I left you art in the form of poems and paintings. When you read those you will feel close to me and the people of our time just as I have done with creators of the past. Maybe nothing of mine survived but maybe you are just like me in that desire to create and will there fore go through some of the same experiences. Time is an amazing thing to think about really. I wish you could write back and tell me how humanity faired, did we survive global warming, are we still at war, are you happy in your life or struggling to survive. I know I am lucky to be born in my time but the art of happiness is an elusive thing. Sometimes I think I will be very old before I even understand it a little. Maybe I was made this way just so that I could be an artist. Given a grand piano of emotions to play on. I have no trite platitudes for you. Just do the best with who you are and what you have. Think of all the people who have lived and died so that you could be born and honour the life you were given. None of that will matter to me of course but these are things I sometimes think about.

Good luck

From Past person

• February 25, 2015 - 12:12am (Now Viewing)

• Juliette Bentley

Love it Laura. I could hear your voice as I read it.