92254.original

alannav

I'm 13 and love reading, writing, my dog, geography, and building things.
My favorite subjects are math and english
I'm learning asl(and I'm pretty sure I've learned more asl from youtube videos than I have French from my teacher.)

"Every time someone stands up and says who they are, the world becomes a better, more interesting place."
"One must always be careful of books and what's inside them, for words have the power to change us."
"Life is a book and there are a thousand pages I have not yet read."

Some books I think everyone should read:
A Quiet Kind Of Thunder by Sara Barnard- The main character has severe social anxiety which is really well written, although the plot is kind of predictable.
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green- need I say more
The Radius of Us by Marie Marquardt- It offers a brilliant insight on immigration in America
Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Abertalli- It's just an amazing love story and coming of age story.

Students, Not Survivors

PROMPT: Strike

12
In my classes, we’ve been taking lockdown drills more and more seriously. And it’s not just because we’re getting older. It’s because next door at the high school, a 17-year-old had access to a gun and a list of people he wanted to kill. It’s because just a state away, another kid had access to a gun and killed another because they were fighting, and classes weren’t canceled for the day. It’s because a 19-year-old was able to take the gun that was kept in his house and kill 17 people. 14 kids, none of which deserved to die, because no kid deserves to die. It’s because we’ve read the accounts from other children, other students, who somehow made it through and we know that hiding behind the teacher’s desk isn’t going to save us. It’s because when I heard about the Parkland shooting, I was doing my math homework and got a news alert that said there was a shooter and a few people were hurt, and my first thought was not ‘I hope no one gets seriously injured’ or ‘I hope the shooter gets caught soon’, or even ‘I hope nobody dies.” It was ‘please don’t let too many kids die’. Because even at 12 years old I knew that nobody dying was too much to hope for. Because after 4 kids were killed just 4 hours away, it suddenly felt much too real, and I’m anxious, so I started looking for the best places to hide should a shooter wander into my math class. Because more than half of my middle school walked out because we don’t want to feel unsafe in the place we’re at half the time. Because we shouldn’t be fearing for our lives in a place where we’re supposed to learning what to do with them. Because we don’t want empty seats and extra counselors. We want band concerts and soccer games. Because kids want to be students, not survivors. And we sure as hell don’t want to be victims.

1

• Feminist NG

Oh wow, this is such a beautiful piece but I'd give the world for it not to have to be written and said. This is absolutely amazing but it sucks that we have to be the ones writing & saying this. You've got yourself a fan haha <3