Annie

Hannah Gaudette - JoyfulWriter

I am an aspiring writer who happens to live on a farm and love cats! So as it is said on my blog, I'm an author, farmer, and daughter of the King of Kings. I hope my writing leaves you with some kind of blessing today, big or little.

God bless!

Don't forget to leave a link to your entry in the comments! One entry per person.

WRITING CONTEST! OPEN NOW! #His-Story-Contest

12
Hey, guys! I've seen several really cool contests on here lately, so . . . I thought I'd have a go at creating one. :) :) :)  First time ever!

#His-Story-Contest

GENRE: Historical FICTION

You can write about ANYTHING, so long as it is based on a historical event or takes place in the past. I want you to really take a good long look at this and reflect on the importance of our history - no matter where you live, history has brought you forth. Respect it. And never, ever forget it.

With that in mind, here's an additional challenge. Your story must include these two words: SKY and BRIDGE.

WORD COUNT: 100-700 words

DEADLINE: March 1st

I will be judging entries based on: clarity of writing, historical accuracy, how on-topic it is, and creativity.

I will NOT accept entries with foul language or inappropriate content of any kind.

Please include the contest hashtag in the title of your piece, but also, please comment on this article with a link to your entry JUST TO MAKE SURE I GET IT. 

ONE entry per person.

Oh, yes, and the prizes. :)

1st place = one peer review on a piece of your choice and one peer review on a piece of my choice; three comments (your choice), five likes (my choice); one official, personalized shout-out.

2nd place = one review on a piece of my choice; three comments (your choice); three likes (my choice); one shout-out.

3rd place = three comments (your choice); three likes (my choice); one shout-out.

HONORABLE MENTIONS = a like and comment on your entry story; an official, personalized shout-out from me.

AND THERE YOU HAVE IT! So let's see some awesome writing and let's dip into our history, 'cause it's too important to lose.

- Hannah

• Hannah Gaudette - JoyfulWriter

Thanks for asking! I understand the value of historical accuracy. However, in the setting we have here, I just think it would be better to imply rather than spell it out. That said, I'm not going to disqualify the story if you feel you should include it once. I would probably do the same if I were writing a longer work in that time period.

Thank you, and I can't wait to read your story!

• weirdo

You said that they're can't be any foul language. However, I was thinking about writing a piece about slavery. And, to make it historically accurate, i feel like it's kinda necessary to acknowledge the fact that slave masters would frequently call their slaves the n-word. Is that okay to include in my piece? If not, I can just censor it.

• Johanna

Maybe I'll just post it and you don't have to accept it if it's too long. Also, a fair warning, I wrote this thing a long time ago so it's kind of childish, and took a lot of editing. I hope you like it anyways!

• Johanna

Umm it is about 900 words...

• Hannah Gaudette - JoyfulWriter

That's absolutely all right!

• AbigailSauble

Hey, I do have a question. Is it alright if the words you gave us to put into our story are compound words? For instance 'footbridge', or 'sky-filled'?

• Hannah Gaudette - JoyfulWriter

Johanna - how much over 700? If it's 800 or something like that, that's fine. My schedule is just really crazy, that's why I didn't want the stories to be too long. :)

• Johanna

Hey do you mind if my piece has over 700 words?

• Cloudy

Here you go I'm not a very experienced writer on this site but when I saw this contest I had to get this idea on the page.