paperbird

i know we don't all agree, and i'm fine with starting polite debate in the comments. i want to make it clear--even to someone who is adamantly pro-life--that i argue with good intentions, and that my goals are centered around the good of our society. believing that abortion is right is not equivalent to believing in murder or the unimportance of the unborn. so i hope that, though we may be of opposing viewpoints, we can continue to love and respect one another. thank you.

why i’m pro-choice - the debate on abortion

11
what is worse than eliminating a chance at human life?  the slavery enforced upon pregnant women.  a pregancy is an intense and painful process.  an estimated 270,000 women die in childbirth every year.  without abortion options, a woman who does not want a baby is forced to bear a child, despite her will.  this is a process that aligns with human slavery; you are forcing a woman to do what she does not want.  an entity should not exist without the permission of its creator.  this is a fundamental fact.

a fetus is not a human.  a fetus remains unconscious for all of the time is inhabits the womb; it is unable to make decisions.  the baby is not able to move until week 13.  synaptic activity, the interaction of neurons and fundamental building block of brain usage, does not properly function until day 200.  these unthinking creatures cannot be considered properly human, at least not until the brain is fully formed.  it is ethical to abort a fetus before it can think or feel.

so who counts as a human?  it is a question philosophers have studied for many years—what is it to be?  at last, french philosopher rené descartes decided on the well-known idea—
i think, therefore i am.”
it is not the union of egg and sperm that forms a fully fledged human; it is the workings of the brain, the ability to conceptualize the world around it.  and as stated, a newly-fertilized egg does not think.

it is fourteen times more likely for a woman to die of pregnancy complications than aboriton. 95% of women who agree to abortion felt it was the better move, whereas those who denied one are more likely to suffer from mental health problems.  money is also an issue—76% of women who deny an abortion rely on unemployment benefits.  these are shocking statistics, but they are true.  we need to stop being concerned with the abortion itself and start looking more at what happens if the abortion is denied.  the results are not often good.

all in all, abortions are not good things—they are messy and tragic.  but they are key to forming a fair social system, in which the priorities of women are valued.  in the words of ruthh, “no woman has an abortion for fun,” and to think otherwise would be to remain ignorant of the miserable circumstances that many women find themselves in.  keep this option, so that we may continue to uphold the fairness in society.

• Onion3102

Props to you for such a well-constructed argument- agree with you Paperbird all the way!

• Christy Wisdom

Ok, thanks. I don't think this needs to be a big debate, but I would like to point out that there has been some effort to try to help provide for those who actually go through with having the baby. And I understand that they might not provide for absolutely everything, but this is the example I can think of off the top of my head. This is their website. https://pregnantandneedhelp.org/

• paperbird

@christy paragraph 4

• Christy Wisdom

I don't think this is particularly debating (this comment) but I noticed that N. said that there was a nod to people forgetting the child after birth, and I was wondering where that is in this piece as I could not find it.

• bride124

I just came from The Bubbling Pen's opinion on this matter. I find both very informative and well-thought. Fantastic work!

• paperbird

thanks, guys!!

• spearmint

I really don't pick sides on this matter, but I love that you supported your claims with a few facts, and that you gave reasons for why you feel the way you do. I also really like that you bolded what you thought that we should really consider. Great work on this piece!!

• N.

This is a genuinely great piece; I like that you took the time to research the topic and include statistics, as many people on both sides of the argument tend to say whatever they please. And- I feel like people forget about what happens to the child after they're born (they definitely do where I live) so I like that nod to it. I see and respect both sides of the argument, but it's nice to hear from someone who's pro-choice :) Thank you

• chethana

Great job! I came from @thebubblingpen 's piece. I really love your argument and support it completely! I do think there are more pro-life people on here, that's ok too! Thanks for sharing this!

• Ruthh

Thank you for writing this piece!! The data is really interesting and everything you’ve said in this is interesting and articulately said. Thank you. High five to a fellow pro-choicer wooo it’s so nice to read something that’s no pro-life paha <33

• paperbird

@anha thank you! i think pro-lifers outnumber pro-choice people on wtw, and i did want to give a voice to my opinion. it is kind of anxiety-provoking at times. i can understand why people would be pro-life but the whole pro-gun thing really depresses me... anyway, thank you for commenting.

• Blotted Ink with a Broken Quill

The is basically the Schism for ASOUE (A Series of Unfortunate Events)

not going to look at the comments, because debates always make me stressed out, but thanks for doing this. especially in the wake of ryder's piece saying they were pro-life and pro-gun, and asking people to support them, i've just been sick to my stomach at any mention of these kind of things. thanks for doing this, really. i feel like you're speaking out for a group of people that don't have a lot of representation in young people.

• paperbird

@bubbling pen thanks! yeah, there’s a lot to it. i don’t want to be mistaken as someone who thinks that abortions are good or harmless or that they aren’t complicated. i’ve been debating about this a lot and hearing the opinions of others has certainly opened my mind more to the spectrum of ideas on this topic. i remain on the pro-choice side, but i can understand why some people would think that abortion is wrong or that life is deserved even for those who haven’t experienced it. thank you for commenting <3

• The Bubbling Pen

Hey Paperbird :) This is an awesome piece - glad you could find stats off the site I sent you <3 You have done an awesome job in this piece examining the abortion debate. I think it's really important that we keep having debates like this where we can talk to one another about it. Especially in this day and age where we can text and type without seeing the other person in real life, I think that it's vital that we keep an open mind :DDD I certainly don't believe that abortion is something to be taken lightly, but it is necessary (as I've explained in my piece) and without it, many women would have nine months of looking after a baby who might be brought into a world where they are not wanted or cannot be properly looked after. Fantabulous work <3

• Mary Wall

@Paperbird of course! I think that even over the internet, and even though if you don't agree with someone, it never hurts to be polite. Nothing is going to be changed and no one will really take you seriously if you're rude. <3

• paperbird

@mary wall thank you! yeah, i know wikipedia’s entirely reliable, but this isn’t formal writing or anything and most of the more serious wikipedia pages cite dependable sources. thank you for respecting my piece, even if you don’t agree :)

• Mary Wall

Although I don't agree, I think this is really well written. You had supporting points and cited your sources. I wouldn't recommend that you use Wikipedia, since anyone can put anything on there. I don't think it's a very reliable source. I'm praying that someday you can see the evil in abortion. I do admire your skill as a writer.:)

• janice

Well that's rude @Ryder. You don't need to insult Paperbird like that.

• camlily

I agree with you, it should be the woman's choice especially if it was not her choice to become pregnant in the first place. In addition, sometimes the fetus may be born into conditions where the mother may not have enough money to keep it alive anyway. I feel that it all depends on the situation.

• paperbird

@mb thank you!
    @stripedfly yeah, okay haha :)

• janice

I think I'm just about done debating abortion on WtW. I've made my point several times. Clearly we're not going to change each other's views. We just disagree :)

• MB

This is really good!