PouringOutTheSun

Ireland

“In the darkness, two shadows, reaching through the hopeless heavy dusk. Their hands meet, and light spills in a flood, like a hundred golden urns pouring out the sun.” -Madeline Miller, “The Song Of Achilles.”

#blacklivesmatter

Achilles & Patroclus

PROMPT: Tiny Love Story

9
I screamed at the sky when you said you’d go to Troy. I asked the divines, “why?” And one stepped out of the sky to watch me choke in my grief for you.

“You know why.” The love born girl whispered as she wiped away a stray tear. I watched as you and I, the entirety of us flashed across her eyes and my descent into her arms was much too slow to be anything less than celestial. She murmured into my hair.

“All great love stories end in blood.”

“But why did ours have to be great?”

patrochilles never fails to just...hit me in the GUT man. you wrote them in such a way that really just brings it all together...lovely, lovely work! and i adore your username as well :D

• jun lei

so i have the strange habit of scrolling down to people's first published work and i'm so glad i did. the snippet of dialogue that graces the conclusion is just so beautiful, and it echoes how achilles ached to be a hero, to be great, and patroclus wanted only achilles.

the song of achilles was truly a masterpiece. (that scene were patroclus says "you must not kill hector," and achilles replies, "what has hector ever done to me?" and fuck that hurt so much because i knew what was going to happen but it didn't make it hit any less hard but jesus christ way to break my heart madeline miller). and i adore your username.

• PouringOutTheSun

Okay so I don’t know how to reply to you guys but I really hope you see this, but thank you guys so much. I only managed to get myself to stop crying after “The Song Of Achilles” like a few minutes ago and your comments have set me off again.

Ruthh: I know! Isn’t the book just amazing? And thank you so much for mentioning my work and that absolute masterpiece in the one sentence. I don’t really know, it just seems kind of like an honour ahaha.

Andromeda: I had to press my face into my pillow and try not to scream at your comment. It made me extremely happy to see your words. Thank you so much.

The Bubbling Pen: You were my first comment on any of my works here ever! The myth of those two really is just astoundingly beautiful isn’t it? And now you’ve got it in my head that I have to watch “Troy” and it’s pretty late at night. Thank you so so much for your kind words and I kind of melted a bit at the little <3 you gave at the end.

• Ruthh

AAA THIS IS BEAUTIFUL AND THE SONG OF ACHILLES IS SO BEAUTIFUL TOO!!

• Andromeda

Very heartbreaking and very good writing, you were able to put a lot of raw emotion into only a few lines. Well done! :)

• The Bubbling Pen

Awwww this is so beautiful and I almost cried. I loved the movie 'Troy' so much and Achilles & Patroclus are honestly the best Greek legends ever. Fantastic work <3