AbiJoy

freshhhh
hmu if u like audiodramas

https://abrieljoy.wordpress.com

​Semi-permeable

PROMPT: Strike

16
Welcome to the last barrier, high school, smack-dab in the middle between youth and the real world... good luck. On the first day of school we have a lockdown drill; we don’t even know our class schedules yet, but we need to know which corner of the room is best hidden from the man with the gun. The membrane between one section of life and the next is semi-permeable, (I learned that in Biology class) but instead of proteins, it’s bullets that can rupture through. My friend fell asleep during that drill- probably because she has to wake up at five in the morning to be ready for school on time- but I was so angry, just not with her. Our country falls asleep to the sound of gunfire and yes, I know we are exhausted, but God, pay attention, evil grows best when left unchecked.
America spends so many millions of dollars on curing cancer every year, but the solution to school shootings is cheaper and easier to figure out (Hint: it’s not metal detectors or clear backpacks). The March For Our Lives movement was an amazing start, but as a country, America has again decided it can live with the “collateral damage” of the second amendment. Being shot is an anxiety that I try to believe is irrational, but it seems like every week that fear is being re-validated. My generation will not stand for the appeasement of killers. You aren’t just “one more body in the crowd” when you march for gun control, or when you vote (although I can’t do that yet, I’m still in the membrane) you are the deciding factor, the straw to break the camel's back. Be vigilant, be heard, don’t fall asleep to the sound of gunfire.

1

• luluwrites111

Very impactful. I know the feeling of imagining terrible things whenever we have those drills. Its unimaginable to think what some schools and children go through, especially when sometimes all people ask for are thorough background checks.

• SeaOfWords

Wow! This should definitely be told to some politicians! Extremely compelling!

• The Bubbling Pen

Such an effective piece that more people should read. Awesome work <3

• Hanan Adi

Fall asleep to the sound of gunfire ... what a powerful image. This needs to be read in the White House.

• Ruthh

This is so powerful and stunning. Wow