Screen shot 2019 01 23 at 7.19.15 pm

The Bubbling Pen

bubbling writer
mathsey person
swimmer
thesaurus-lover
learner driver
poet
pizza and pasta muncher
dessert hogger
science blogger
realist

Avatar made by Serendipity <3

I don't mean to offend anyone, but this is just a piece I thought I'd write as a rebuttal to Christy Wisdoms's awesome piece "The Right To Life" (link in the footnotes). Please comment your thoughts and opinions!! <3

The Right To - A Respected - Life

7
Every person on this Earth deserves a right to life. Black or white, male or female, ruler or peasant, celebrity or fan, disabled or gifted... each and every thought deserves the right to be voiced. Every dream deserves the right to become a reality. But even more-so, every living person deserves a life where they have rights and freedom of speech. A life where they can live in their own being, with their own thoughts and opinions. A life where they are respected.

We have been told to listen out for the screams of the dying, the screeches of the dead. Abortion is immoral, they say. Guilt has been forced upon us, shackling us to theories of little substance. It is human nature to side with the weak: the ill, the young, the fragile, the elderly, the dying. It should be human nature to side with self-respect. We spend too much time pulling ourselves down, telling each other that we are not good enough, not thin enough, not strong enough, not pretty enough, not perfect enough. We need to spend more time telling ourselves to be happy with the way we are. To respect each other. And respect ourselves. But we also know that it's hard. It's hard to live in a world where there are far too many underprivileged schools. Where we live in fear of poverty. Where abuse is a word that lingers from the morning's news.

We should be jumping at the chance to avoid bringing up a child in a world where they cannot be respected.

I have grown up in a world where my parents tell me stories of how they grew up in an underdeveloped country, where they had to ride a bike for seven kilometres every morning to have an education. I have grown up in a world where my aunts and uncles passed down school books through their eleven siblings. My friends have grown up in a world where their parents remember spending their youth bargaining at markets, pick-pocketing untroubled tourists. We have all grown up in a world where it is not safe to be ourselves. Where there is expectation to be more, to be different. Where people take their lives to escape the horrors they face everyday.

Is is not obvious then, that we must stop bringing more people into a family that cannot possibly take care of them, into a community that does not accept them, into a world that is prepared to butcher them?

We hear embryos being referred to as "a bunch of cells". Have we ever asked why? Why have scientists, practitioners, intellectuals given a form of life - not yet human - such a plain and indistinct phrase? If we think about it carefully, the reason why we value unborn lives is because of our own dreams for them. In the same way that parents urge their children to "play piano because I never got the chance to" or "become a doctor so you can have a good future" or "make sure you know the person well before you marry them", we have dreams and hopes for the little bundle of cells in a mother's womb. We assume that the unborn foetus will have a wonderful life. That the unborn bundle of cells will grow to be a politically accurate revolutionary, or a Nobel prize winner. Do we ever wonder about the hundreds of Vietnamese orphans that will never have a future despite being alive? Do we ever ask how many world-changing innovators live in the Indian slums? Do we ever think about the number of child prodigies that call a war zone their home? No, never. We have goals to "eradicate extreme poverty". But is it enough to hope for millions around the world to live on above $1.25 a day? These people are alive and kicking - it's time we do something for them.

When we talk about abortions, what are we actually discussing? We are asking whether or not it should be legal for a foetus to stop its growth into an independent baby. Emotionally, we all understand that: 

No child should come into the world unwanted.

And statistically, we know that:
  1. 95% of women who receive abortions "felt it was the right decision", ensuring that they would not be bringing a child into a family where they could suffer from abuse, poverty and malnutrition
  2. Risk of death from giving birth is about 14 times higher than dying from having an abortion
  3. 76% of women who are denied their right to abort become reliant on unemployment benefits
  4. women who are unable to obtain an abortion are twice as likely to to become victims of domestic violence
It's safe to say that while abortion is not only about women's rights, it certainly plays a dominating role.

The reason why we say "congratulations on your baby ?" We all have the habit of preconceiving ideas and expectations for others. We plan their name, the school they will attend... we hope they will be kind, have our hair colour and our partner's eyes...

If we say the embryo has a right to a future, shouldn't this future be one that it decides on its own?

Abortion gives women the right to spend the next nine months of their lives employed. It takes away the pain and suffering of a generation who would have been brought into the world as "accidents" or "mistakes". It ensures that people can feel respected and live in freedom.

Fighting for the right to life is easy. But the fight for a life worth living is a whole other story.

This is not exactly my opinion on this topic, but I thought I'd give it a go =D The idea came from reading Christy Wisdom's piece "The Right To Life", which you can find here: https://writetheworld.com/groups/1/shared/100179/version/190485

• The Bubbling Pen

ahahah thanks Anha :) debating is always so much fun- I think no matter what stance we take, it's just great to be able to bring up controversial topics that we can talk about in a friendly environment and community <3

fuck yeah, rebuttals to christy's pro-life stuff keeps me going. especially since she's so 'polite' about everything. yeah yeah :/
    (i'm salty as hell, everyone is fake here, i stg, not to bring you down, this is a rly good piece)

• The Bubbling Pen

Thank you so much bride124 and spearmint :D I'm really grateful that you all spent time to think about my piece <3

• spearmint

I love the data input, and how you view both sides of the argument. I don't really have an opinion on this matter because I could never understand both sides, but now I do, and I am still undecided because I finally understand why people feel the way they do. Incredible piece!!

• bride124

This piece is incredible!

• The Bubbling Pen

Thanks chethana! You should definitely give it a go, I'd be very happy to review it for you as well <3

• chethana

This was amazing! I've often struggled with expressing my opinion on abortion. This was a positive way of showing it! Amazing piece!

• The Bubbling Pen

Thanks Paperbird :)

• paperbird

i've published my piece on abortion:
    thank you!!

• The Bubbling Pen

no worries :) I'm looking forward to it <3

• paperbird

oh yeah, i’ve used procon.org before. thank you so much! i’ll definitely notify you when i post :)

• The Bubbling Pen

Hi Paperbird, I often use a site called ProCon.org
    It offers perspectives for both sides of the debate and also explains the background of the issue, along with a list of references. If you google "abortion procon" or your topic of choice, it should come up :) Feel free to use my stats :P
    I'm so excited to read your piece, could you comment on one of my pieces to let me know when you've posted it? <3

• paperbird

hey, i’m writing a piece about why i’m pro-choice. i loved your argument, and i was wondering if i could use some of your statistics. where did you find them?

• paperbird

i agree with this. love how you backed up your argument with data. very well-written. even if you haven't made a decision as to what side to take yet, this is a display of your great skills in debate. i'm glad you're able to see both sides.

• Christy Wisdom

Yep! Yours was well done, too.

• The Bubbling Pen

Cool, I see what you mean Christy Wisdom :) My opinion on this is not fully set yet, so that's why I decided to try a rebuttal of your piece - which, I think was really well done <3 It think we should definitely have more debates and discussions on issues like this, it's great to get the cogs turning <3

• Christy Wisdom

I actually wouldn't say that the reason I value the life of an unborn is because I would just have hopes and dreams for them. I mean yes, I want them to have a happy life; we all want happy lives, even if it's not a reality. But I also value them because they have souls. They are made in the image of God (although this might not be taken seriously by someone who's not religious) and are fearfully and wonderfully made. Hope this explains it a little more. It's interesting that you chose to not exactly do your opinion, but I understand why. An exercise in debating, right? It is cool that we started talking about this stuff, though. I feel like the fight concerning abortion isn't seen as such an important issue as much as it should be?

• The Bubbling Pen

Thanks RainAndSonder! <3

This is fantastic, and I totally agree. I love how you backed up your points with data!