Christy Wisdom

Hello people! What to say? I'm a Christian girl. I like to write. I write tons of poetry, some short stories, and other things.
I like
NARUTO
Imagine Dragons
LOTR
Harry Potter
Agents of SHIELD
Artemis Fowl
My Hero Academia
God bless you!

There is no happiness like that of being loved by your fellow-creatures, and feeling that your presence is an addition to their comfort. - Jane Eyre

Not all those who wander are lost. - Lord of the Rings

I have come home at last! This is my real country! I belong here. This is the land I have been looking for all my life, though I never knew it till now. -C.S. Lewis, The Last Battle

Things to know about me
1. I'm a Christian.
2. I'm Pro-life.
3. I do not put any swearing (oh my gosh included) into any of my stories.
4. I will not put any sex or nudity into my stories.
Thank you to all who have supported me, and feedback is always welcome!
Also, if you comment on a piece of mine, I will generally respond to it at some point.

The Right to Life

6
Please. Stop associating abortion with women's rights. This is not like those times when the right to vote was at stake. This is an intense fight for life as we know it. Whether or not you believe me, and whether or not you care, it is. And out there, in our world, children are dying, do you hear their screams? Out there, we are letting the unborn die, and this is wrong. Why are we allowing this? 

Do you want to talk about supporting women's rights? Sure.
I support the rights of the unborn women, the rights that are being taken away. Think of all of them, the ones that have been deprived. "Women's rights". Think about it. What about the women who would've been our future, and are dead and gone now? The ones that were killed. Just because they are "bundles of cells", "can't live without the mother", "not human". I'm a bundle of cells. You are a bundle of cells. We would never have lived without our mothers, we need people to care for us. Does that make us not human? Does a couple weeks inside the womb make the difference between humanity and "not human"?  I don't think so. 

This is not an attack on anyone who supports abortion. I do not mean to offend. What I mean to do is inform. Babies are dying, whether you call them that or not. When a person is pregnant, you don't say "Congratulations on your fetus!" They say baby. Get it? Baby. Not "Bundle of cells" not "fetus". Baby. This is important. 

It is said that we should fight for the innocent. The helpless. Those who can't speak, we are meant to defend them. Is this what you believe? Fight for the unborn, fight for the men and women of the generations to come. Fight for the right to life.

1

• Christy Wisdom

No, definitely, that's fine! Thanks :)

• paperbird

i'm writing a review of this right now. not to argue against it or anything like that--i actually think this is a really good piece of writing and it can be strengthened with, like, sentence rephrasing and stuff. hope you don't mind :)

• Christy Wisdom

I agree :)

You too! This has been quite interesting and it’s been nice to see your points and arguments even if I disagree.

• Christy Wisdom

No problem, Paperbird. Thanks so much for the compliment, and I can appreciate your arguments as well, both you and RainAndSonder's. I will try to answer the soul thing, though, as it was asked. I believe I would say that a soul is in every human; I don't think I can attach it to anything, exactly, but it's what doesn't die when our earthly bodies do. It's hard to explain, but basically it's what can go to either heaven or hell. It's been great debating with you guys :) Thanks for participating!

I would be willing to end if you are. But what do you regard as a soul? I think the “soul” is in the brain. After all, if we consider the soul who we are, then that’s in the brain. A fetus does not have a developed brain until around 23 weeks at least. Also, you say that millions are being killed by abortion (I disagree with that; you can’t kill something if it’s not truly alive, just developing into something alive), but what about the 68,000 people who already have lives, who are fully developed that die because they don’t have access to a safe abortion? Making abortion illegal isn’t going to stop it.

• paperbird

trucing sounds like a good idea. thank you for (another) excellent debate. i can completely appreciate your arguments - it is only due to different views on science and religion that we disagree.
    thank you for caring <3 the world needs more good people like you.

• paperbird

i'm sorry - i don't believe in souls. the idea of spirits matches the idea of a brain to me. a brain is what makes each human unique, separate. it is what allows them to respond to their environment, to make decisions, to have an imagination.
    the difference between a baby and a sedated person is that the person has had a life. you are actively drawing away a person's life if you sedate and then kill them, whereas you are only drawing away a possibility as life for a fetus.

• Christy Wisdom

Well, you said "it cannot think, it cannot make conscious decisions. therefore it cannot truly be. it cannot be regarded as human, can't have the same rights as an active and conscious human being." right? But you can't be active and conscious if you've been heavily sedated. I think that my point is, even the unborn are people. Whether or not you believe they can feel pain, they are human. They have souls, and are made in the image of God. I understand you may not be religious, but I think that souls really are what makes one "human" and babies have them. I don't really think we're getting anywhere with this. If you want to continue debating with me, I don't mind, I'll still debate, I just don't feel like we're actually changing anything. Should we truce for now?

• paperbird

in regards to your last question---that's not relevant. you are continuously presenting situations that regard live humans, children or adults. and, for the reasons just stated, humans have rights. it would be immoral to cause a sedated human pain because they are people! a fetus? not a person. not even close.

• paperbird

christy, i think our opinions differ because we have different ideas about where life starts. the neural plate may indeed develop around day 16, but i'm with rainandsonder--a baby can't feel, can't think, till week 35. and even then, should it be considered human?
    i want to take into consideration the word from the french philosopher rené descartes. it's quite a famous quote:
    "cogito, ergo sum---i think, therefore i am."
    and that sums up my argument. no matter how developed a fetus is, it cannot think, it cannot make conscious decisions. therefore it cannot truly be. it cannot be regarded as human, can't have the same rights as an active and conscious human being.

• Christy Wisdom

Here's another quote: Of the 56 million induced abortions that took place each year during 2010–2014, an estimated 25 million (45%) were unsafe. In all, 55% of abortions each year were safe, 31% were less safe, and 14% were least safe. https://www.guttmacher.org/fact-sheet/induced-abortion-worldwide?gclid=Cj0KCQiAhKviBRCNARIsAAGZ7CfXABBlMWrFiKk1OFWawtYa3sUeGuN8oy0cB4_KNn--OMEynMVF2RkaAqh7EALw_wcB
    Yes, that's a four year span. But in a four year span, 56 million were killed. So to me, even if the women don't die in safe abortions (I don't want them to die, of course) millions are being killed. Unwanted. Unborn.
    Also, in counter to the pain thing, read this. https://lozierinstitute.org/fact-sheet-science-of-fetal-pain/ It has quite a different time difference between conception and ability to feel pain than that you listed. Also, why does it matter so much if they can feel pain? If I sedated you enough that you couldn't feel pain, then killed you, wouldn't it still be immoral?

Not exactly. It’s only when the brain first starts to have activity at 23-ish weeks if I remember correctly that I think the fetus is truly developed enough that abortion starts to get morally wrong. Here are some facts about abortion:
    A fetus cannot feel pain at all before about 35 weeks and can’t feel touch whatsoever before 24 weeks. A fetus does not the ability to make conscious movements and isn’t conscious at all, in fact. The abortion rate is lower in places where abortions are legal and higher in places where they’re illegal. About 68,000 people die per year because they don’t have access to safe abortions, and about 19 million unsafe, illegal abortions are performed every year.
    Here are my sources;
    https://rewire.news/article/2011/09/09/fetuses-cannot-feel-pain-until-weeks-according-study/
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/when-does-consciousness-arise/
    https://www.guttmacher.org/gpr/2009/11/facts-and-consequences-legality-incidence-and-safety-abortion-worldwide
    https://www.who.int/reproductivehealth/topics/unsafe_abortion/article_unsafe_abortion.pdf

• Christy Wisdom

You're welcome, Bubbling Pen! Thanks for joining the discussion!

• The Bubbling Pen

Christy, I love love love your passion for this topic and seeing all the different perspectives for this piece :) I just wanted to say thank you for bringing it up in the first place so that we could have such a meaningful discussion <3

• Christy Wisdom

I mean, I'm glad to hear that y'all aren't pro-abortion. And the woman matters, yes. But the fetus has a life, too. Here's another quote, from this source https://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/fetal-development/fetal-brain-nervous-system/. Would you consider the fetus to be alive at this point?
    "A mere 16 days after conception, your fetus's neural plate forms (think of it as the foundation of your baby's brain and spinal cord). It grows longer and folds onto itself, until that fold morphs into a groove, and that groove turns into a tube — the neural tube. Once the neural tube closes, at around week 6 or week 7 of pregnancy, it curves and bulges into three sections, commonly known as the forebrain, midbrain and hindbrain. Just to the rear of the hindbrain sits the part that will soon turn into your baby's spinal cord. Soon, these areas bubble into those five different regions of the brain that we're most familiar with: the cerebrum, cerebellum, brain stem, pituitary gland and the hypothalamus. Of course, all of these fetal brain areas need more time to be fully up and running!

At the same time, special neural cells form and migrate throughout the embryo to form the very beginnings of nerves. Your baby's nervous system is made up of millions upon millions of neurons; each of these microscopic cells have itty-bitty branches coming off of them so that they can connect and communicate with each other. With this comes baby's first synapses, which essentially means baby's neurons can communicate and create early fetal movements...like curling into (you guessed it!) the fetal position.

Other movements follow quickly, with your fetus wiggling his developing limbs at around 8 weeks. By the end of the first trimester, your baby-to-be has garnered quite a repertoire of motion, though you won't be able to feel any of it quite yet. And at about the same time as baby first wiggles his limbs, he begins to develop the sense of touch."

@Christy Wisdom I think that a fetus is sort of in a limbo between not-alive and alive. Yes, it’s a clump of cells that’s growing, but why should that make it alive? In my opinion, life starts when the brain starts to develop. And I agree with Paperbird 100%. Abortion is never a good thing and I’m not pro-abortion. I don’t want people to have abortions, I want them to be able to have abortions if they choose to. I believe that preventing the suffer of women that can feel and have a life is more important than something inside of them that cannot feel and doesn’t even have a developed brain.

• Christy Wisdom

I'm not denying the fact that the woman matters. Yeah, she definitely matters. Yes, she is probably undergoing misery and suffering. But what else could the egg be rather than alive? It's growing, and it's most certainly of human relation, and it's going to become an adult, a teenager, a child, and it has a chance of being outside of the womb. Even if it had no chance of surviving, I would still consider it unethical.

• paperbird

because it's the woman that matters more here. a woman who chooses to abort a child is obviously undergoing a lot of misery and suffering; there's no denying that. and yes, a little clump of matter might have a chance at life. but it's not alive right now. so i choose to care for the woman, rather than the unfeeling, unthinking egg.

• Christy Wisdom

Why do you believe she has the right to choose? Is it because she should not be forced to bear the consequences of something that she didn't want?

• paperbird

to answer the first thing: considering that's a method that involves the brain, it would seem that it is unethical, because the baby has a functioning brain, which means that it's far into the pregnancy. also, that's cruel. there are easier ways to abort a fetus.
    secondly, i don't think forced abortion is relevant at all to what we were talking about. obviously i would oppose such things––a woman should be able to have a baby if she wants. but that's not the question. the question is whether the woman can choose. and i believe she can.

• Christy Wisdom

Ok, thanks for explaining. So, partial-birth abortions.. well, here's the gist of it. It's mostly intact quote, but I took out two words (just in case they'd be flagged, but this still means the same) https://nrlc.org/archive/abortion/facts/pbafacts.html
    Partial-Birth Abortion is a procedure in which the abortionist pulls a living baby feet-first out of the womb and into the birth canal, except for the head, which the abortionist purposely keeps lodged just inside the the opening to the womb. The abortionist punctures the base of the baby’s skull with a surgical instrument, such as a long surgical scissors or a pointed hollow metal tube called a trochar. He then inserts a catheter (tube) into the wound, and removes the baby's brain with a powerful suction machine. This causes the skull to collapse, after which the abortionist completes the delivery of the now-dead baby."

Well, you certainly have an interesting argument. But what about if the choice isn't really allowed? What if a woman is forced into an abortion, and doesn't want one?

• paperbird

i believe in abortions. but i don't think that they're nice or anything. abortion should be avoided if at all possible, but we shouldn't rob this right. it's the woman's choice.
    can you explain what partial-birth abortion is? i don't know.
    to answer your third question, it's a gray area. depends on the circumstance. if it's the rape of a twelve-year-old and she's six months pregnant, it's still okay to abort the baby. but if it's a thirty-year-old woman who's six months pregnant and simply doesn't want to have the baby, it's not ethical.
    i would say one of the greatest milestones of a pregnancy is having a functioning brain, yes. it all depends on how close the matter is to behaving like a real human. but a simple union of egg and sperm, a small clump of body cells with no real shape? aborting that is ethical.
    look, my main argument is this: i don't want to live in a society where we are not allowed to have a choice. the possibility frightens me--forcing women to have children, even if they were raped or birth control didn't work or they were really young or really old.

• Christy Wisdom

So, what is your stance then? I'm honestly curious as to why you don't believe in abortions, but believe that women have the right to choose them.
    That's an interesting way of describing human. Having a life. What do you think about partial-birth abortions, then? I know they're illegal, but I'm wondering what you would think about that. At what point is it okay to abort a baby exactly? Is it just when they're still developing their brain, or what do you mean by not have a brain? As in Not even having the beginnings of one, or just one that's not fully functional?

• paperbird

i like to distinguish human as this: someone who has had a life. someone who has breathed the air, who has loved, had experiences. it is what makes life beautiful. and a fetus has done none of these things.
    the reason that it is unethical to kill an adult or child is because you are taking away their experiences. but a fetus has had no experience. it has a mere OPTION to have them. it doesn't have a brain. it doesn't have a life. it can't feel anything. it isn't cruelty; it's similar to killing a piece of bacteria. if the fetus was a born baby, or even further along in the pregnancy, it would be a different matter.
    for the record, i'm not pro-abortion. abortions are horrible happenings, and i do not deny that they are tragic. but, in the end, we shouldn't rob women of the right to their body. because forcing women to have children, more than anything, is cruelty.

• Christy Wisdom

But why should it be her choice, just because it affects her life greatly? Lots of things affect life greatly. If I got in a car crash, or if I got a flu, it's not my choice. But I'll ride through it, and see where I come out.
    To answer your question, I think that a fetus is alive because it is so from conception. Yes, it might not have a developed brain in the early stages, but it is still alive. What else would I call it? It is growing, it is made up of cells that are making the body of a baby, and it's certainly not dead. The dead don't grow. What else would I call it?

@Christy Wisdom But why do you think that the fetus is alive? In my opinion, it’s not, it just has the chance of being alive. A premature baby and an already-born baby are alive, and therefore have the right to life. A fetus in the later stages has a developed brain, and is closer to becoming an actual baby, and therefore has the right to life. A fetus in the early stages has no brain activity; it’s not alive. It does have a chance at becoming alive, but I believe it’s the mother’s choice of whether she wants to allow that chance to happen or not. It’s something that could greatly affect her life, and I believe she should get to choose. Of course, I think it should be a heavy decision and that she should put lots of thought into it, but in the end it’s still her choice.

• Christy Wisdom

Hmm... I mean, as I've said before I believe the child already is alive. However, taking the chance of life outside the womb (which I believe is what you mean), hmm... I think that it's wrong to take away the chance at life because it's not our choice. It shouldn't be our choice whether the baby (fetus) lives or dies before it's even born, because who are we to act like we have power over the baby (fetus)'s chance of life and death? If the baby was born, and struggling for life, would we not try to save it? Who are we to decide that the baby should be stillborn, or miscarriaged? Is this not us trying to play god? I think the reason why I believe it's equal is because while I don't want the mother to die or anything, I don't think that just not having a great quality of life, or being raped, or not having enough money is a good reason to sacrifice the life of the baby. Even if they only have a chance at life outside the womb, it's not us who should be the ones to decide once and for all that we die. If a premature baby is born, do we not try to save it? How can we say "this baby lives" and then turn around and say "this baby dies". Is it a matter of which one is loved? Which one is wanted? And should it be?
    I don't know if I answered the question very well, sorry. I guess I would say that the reason why I think that the chance at life is equal to life itself is that it's not up to us who lives or dies. If we take away the probabilities, and the memories, and the hopes and dreams, and the love and thoughts and prayers, what we have left is two human beings. Two humans, one more undeveloped than the other. So what if one is smaller, so what if it's not complete yet? Does that mean we have the right to stop it prematurely? Does this give us the right to kill it because we don't want it to grow up in a sad, twisted world? Does it give my mom the right to kill me because this sinful Earth should not be inflicted upon me any longer? To put me out of my misery?

Another question: why should the chance at life be equal to life itself? I’m just curious and want to understand your views so I can see both sides of the argument.

• Christy Wisdom

Cool, I'll check it out!

• The Bubbling Pen

Hey everyone! I'm loving the debate that's going on right now :) I've published a rebuttal which you can find here:
    Also, please remember =D We all respect each other's ideas and even though we might have different opinions on this topic, writing is an art and we are so lucky to be able to voice our thoughts <3

@Christy Wisdom I don’t know. I think this is straying too far from the topic.
    @stripedfly1001 Those are completely different scenarios. Someone going through a dangerous surgery is already alive. They’re conscious, their brain is working. Therefore they have the right to life. A fetus is not already a person, and in the early stages they aren’t conscious and don’t have a functioning brain or any brain activity.

• janice

@RainAndSonder but there is a virtual guarantee that the fetus will become conscious. And for the chance at life thing, suppose that a person has to have a dangerous surgery. This, obviously, costs money. And the chance of living through the surgery is 10%. 90% chance to die. And the surgery is expensive. Doesn't this person deserve to have the chance, at least? Even though failure is the most likely outcome, don't they deserve that chance? Doesn't the fetus deserve the chance to live?

• Christy Wisdom

But even if I'm allowed to, should I kill the brain-dead person just because I have permission?

@stripedfly1001 But a baby has a working brain, with brain activity. A fetus in the early stages does not. Also, a chance at life in my opinion shouldn’t have the same right to life as actual life.
    @Christy Wisdom Yes, that would be wrong. I’m not 100% certain but I think they have to get the consent of the family to kill a brain-dead person. However, a fetus isn’t comparable to this because the mother IS consenting to the fetus getting aborted.

• Christy Wisdom

But even if a brain-dead person doesn't have a right to life in your opinion, would that make it not wrong for me to kill one? Like, with a gun, or something, and no medical clearance?

• Christy Wisdom

Thanks so much, stripedfly!

• janice

This is beautiful oml. I love how you defend the unborn women who could have been our future great leaders. And to answer some people: true, a fetus cannot think for itself, but neither can a born baby. And the fetus, for sure, will be able to think for itself in the future. So you are killing a chance at life.

I think the difference is that a child is developing into an adult while a fetus is developing into a person, period. Is it human? Technically. Should it have the same rights as a living human being? I don’t think so.
    Comparing a fetus to someone in a coma is not the same at all. The person in the coma is already a fully developed human being that has/had a life. A fetus is a clump of cells developing into a human being that does not have a life, only a chance at life. Also, a fetus does not have any brain activity until, if I remember correctly, Week 23 (most abortions take place way before this, and I believe that abortion after this point starts to get iffy). When a living human doesn’t have brain activity, they are dead, and therefore don’t have the rights to life. The same, in my opinion, sort of goes for a fetus. Once their brain is developed enough to have activity, it becomes wrong to abort them unless it’s necessary for the mother’s survival, but before that point they don’t have the right to life.

• Christy Wisdom

Thanks, Blotted!

• Blotted Ink with a Broken Quill

Contest winners for my short poem contest are out!

• Christy Wisdom

Hmm... well, my reasoning partially comes from my religion, but I will try to explain aside from that as well, but I have to bring it into it. Christianity tells us that we are made in the image of God, and we are fearfully and wonderfully made. We are also described as temples, and we should not tear down those of others. Jeremiah 1:5"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." If God made us to be human, what then should make us kill a human? We have souls. The baby has a soul, and it would be terrible to destroy it. A living being.
    But aside from my religion... I believe a baby is living. You would not call it dead unless it is stillborn or miscarriage. Or perhaps torn apart (abortion), but back to the matter at hand. It is living, and made by humans, so it must be human. Also, if we depend on whether or not something can think to be human, that excludes the brain-dead. If I suddenly fell into a coma, brain-dead, would you still call me a human? Yes. About the feeling thing, do you mean emotionally or physically? Because physically, I would say that it's sorta hard to explain. Emotionally, a bit easier. I would not call you any less human if you could not feel joy, or sadness, or anger. If you were merely sleeping, and so could not feel those things in a dreamless state, I would still call you human. Physically, I suppose the same. If we can not feel things, so what? We are human. I feel that the line between "person" and "fetus" is really nonexistent. A baby (fetus) is a person, too. What would make it not a person? And if we go on the fact that they are developing, well, I'm developing. Children develop and go through puberty, and grow taller, and our brains develop, too. What makes the difference between developing in the womb and developing outside of it? The babies are in a body; we are not. But we were at one point. The babies are forming the basic structures, such as skeletal. If you were missing a limb, and therefore missing those bones, I would not count you as any less human because of a difference in development, or lack of development.

I think when you delve into what human even means it starts to stray from the real subject. The fact is that a fetus cannot think or feel and the woman that was impregnated can. Also, in a way it is a matter of women’s rights. The fetus is growing inside the woman and in my opinion it’s her right to have the choice of whether she wants to allow it to become a human baby or not. However, this is a compelling piece, and I respect your opinion. I was wondering— why do you think that something that is developing into a person, that can’t think or feel, has the same rights as a living, thinking, feeling human being? I don’t mean to be rude or anything, I genuinely want to hear your reasoning.

• Christy Wisdom

Thanks, spearmint!

• Christy Wisdom

Also to clarify, I meant a cultural revolution, not "overthrow the government" revolution, although I doubt anybody thought I meant that

• Christy Wisdom

@paperbird, thanks for the comments. I know we are at opposing views, but my question to you is this: what makes a person human?

• spearmint

This was so amazing... Just wow. You spoke so boldly, and you got your beliefs through.

• Christy Wisdom

That's fine, Bubbling Pen. I don't mind. We could have a debate, I suppose, if that's fine

• The Bubbling Pen

Hi Christy Wisdom :) I really like the passion in your piece and - even though I'm not set on an opinion at the moment - I thought I would try writing a rebuttal of your piece. I don't mean to say you're wrong, because your points are completely valid and really convincing :) but I think it will be fun to write from the other perspective too <3 But first I wanted to check if that is ok with you? I'll make sure to add a link to your piece to say where the idea came from <3

• paperbird

i believe in women's rights, and i believe that you do too. i think we have different ideas about where life starts. an unconscious clump of matter versus a suffering woman? i choose woman. the matter isn't alive yet; it's just got the potential for life, similarly to how a lone sperm or egg has the potential to become life. it's not unethical to abort this matter, just like it's not unethical to kill a single sperm or egg.
    this is a very well-written argument, though. it was passionately spoken. your use of bold was particularly persuasive.

• Christy Wisdom

Yeah, I agree with that. I want to start a revolution too

• pencils.and.paper.roses

Total Agreement. I wish I could start a revolution.

Ya know, I might do that. A poetry revolution. :)