All writing published for Dialogue Dexterity

Published writing

402301e0 78f8 47e9 aa9e b408d4d498ed
1

Lil Liz Bean (United States) published:

The Basement Scene

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

“Rose?” 
There is the soft padding of footsteps on carpets. Kailey doesn’t know where I might be in the cavernous basement. I’m stuck, can’t move, can’t talk, can’t breathe. 
Kailey enters my small room at the end of the basement. Her voice is soft, “Rose, please,” she steps in, the door creaking and the room is dimly light but a streak of light slipping out from the closet.
A breathe finally gurgles through my strangled throat. The door opens and...

hic2788
1

theresafrance (United States) published:

Contention

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

"You're not listening to me!" he said frustrated. I rolled my eyes and told him that he was being ridiculous and that of course, I was. 
    "It's not a matter of listening it's a matter of you being wrong," I stated. 
    "I can't be wrong when I'm telling you how I feel." He started to cry as he continued explaining all the little things I had done to upset him. I defended myself over and over again against his attacks.
    "You...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Cuties

Quilling Leaves (United States) published:

From a Fun Time at the Pool to an Unexpected Reunion

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

​"Serena," someone behind Serena said, laying a hand on her shoulder as they caught up.
She twisted her head around to find Malory, her friend, looking at her with excitement bubbling in her green eyes. She had dark blonde hair in a braid and her face held a few freckles. The beginning of the summer was just starting and Serena's nerves were turning in her stomach, of excitement and nervousness. This would be her second time returning to the Specials...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Weird
2

shadow_diva (United States) published:

Fractured

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

"I'm alright." Her voice was flat. She looked like a bird ready to spring into flight-body poised at the edge of her chair, eyes staring keenly at some point beyond the windows. The look of desperation on her face was one that I would never forget. She looked hungry to escape, looked as if she had stayed any longer, she would have lashed out, or crumbled into pieces, or both. 

I took a deep breath, and hid my tear-stained cheeks...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Sunset in my garden  by incredi d41sbp7
1

Holly Richardson (Canada) published:

Young Love

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

"Aren't you too young to have a boyfriend?"
    "Seriously, Mom? You even said I could have one once I turned sixteen."
    "Well...I didn't think it would be this soon. Can't you wait a little longer?"
    "You were pushing me last week to ask out Brian. Why is this any different?"
    "I just...I know Brian. Tony has a bad reputation. I don't want you getting hurt."
    "Tony loves me, Mom. And...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Images

Rachel22 (United States) published:

Rosemary the Riveter

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

Rosemary woke with a start. The same nightmare has plagued her dreams ever since her husband had been deployed to Germany. She saw the war field where her loving husband, James, surrounded by smoke and the smell of gunpowder was bleeding out with a bullet wound to the heart, calling her name. The dreams always felt so real. The only reason she knew it wasn’t real was that when a soldier is killed in battle, their family is sent a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Img 7461

lili (United States) published:

canker sores

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

I pour myself a glass of hot lemonade and sit down at the kitchen table. In crime shows, I'd know how many seconds it's been since it happened. In real life, Mom's dead, and I can't be bothered to count. 

The person across from me at the table is thinking wistfully of bourbon and better days. Her name is something like Lucy. I am making her life difficult. Lucy sighs gently, so as not to seem like she's more miserable...

Img 7461
2
1

lili (United States) published:

canker sores

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
4

lishi (United States) published:

Green, Green Lawn

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

"I worry about you sometimes." 
    For a while, there is silence, with only the clink clink of her spoon as it goes around and around in her mug. She clears her throat.
    "I worry about you sometimes."
    She raises her gaze to meet his. It seems wearier than he remembers. He has to look away. His eyes drop to his hands-- brown, calloused, folded obediently in his lap. There is only the spoon as it goes...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Ee08dd64 2bc5 4802 a63a 0ddf953ff9ca
1

Paperbird (United States) published:

Conversation

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

The news lies open on the table, so I know at least that one person is home.  I set down my belongings, pull my hat off my head, and scratch the cat behind the ears.
    "Wilson!" I call.  My voice is slightly raspy; it's been a long day.
    My brother appears at the top of the stairs.
    "What?" he asks.  His untidy mop of hair is covering his eyes.  He has his headphones on...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Image
3
1

Starlightsong (United Kingdom) published:

Unsaid goodbye

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

She said she'd miss me.
"think of all those good times" 
I nodded, smiled, didn't know how to say goodbye so I delved into the past.
I grinned despite myself, "remember the burrito dance?"
she laughs,
keeps saying it's not over, that we'll see each other in the weekends, the holidays, 
"more fun times to come! You haven't escaped me yet Jenny Parker!",
I try not to cry,
I make her promise to text me, phone me, snapchat me, email...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Download
4

AcetheticallyPleasing (United States) published:

Help

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

Here and now. San Jose, California. Visiting her family, she'd finally gained enough courage to ask.
She sat in a spinning chair, uncomfortably looking down at the plastic cube in her hand designed to calm her. It wasn't doing a very good job.
"What's that?" Her cousin asked. She blinked in curiosity at the tiny grey block.
"Anika, step back," she smiled. "It's just something to let me fidget."
Her mum looked at her strangely. "How is that?"
She blinked,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Rogue one a star wars story key art 4k 8k 3840x2160
1
1

Lucy_Cerys (Australia) published:

Lara Forever

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

"I don't really think-"
"Nope! Not acceptable."
"But-"
"No, I said no."
"It's not -"
"Em, come on, don't be such a chicken -"
"Will you just let me finish!" She was beginning to become a little frustrated by her friend's determination to interrupt every attempt at logic. "It's not...," she took a deep breath, intimidated by at last having caught Lara's attention. "It's just not right."
"Ha," Lara scoffed. "Plenty of things ain't right in this world."
"Like?"
"Like...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1

GiannaMonaco (United States) published:

Sight

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

"Where did you get that from? You can't afford anything that has diamonds all over it. We are homeless and you just happened to find a diamond necklace laying on the streets of New York." 
    "I got it from the store. You know, people give us money. At least the nice people. I had some cash too, and I bought you a necklace." 
    "So, someone dropped a million dollars into the case. I don't think they...

Iwaoi
1
1

abbey_cats (United States) published:

runaway

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

It was dark. It was too dark, an ink-colored blanket that masked everything like a shroud. 
    She shouldn't have felt trapped; she shouldn't have been so trapped in her own home, sitting against the headboard of her own bed, with her legs tangled up into the blankets. 
    The shrill ring of her phone brought her back to whatever reality she seemed to be living in; she blinked stinging sleep from her eyes, trying to...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Pretty falls wallpaper 1
1

Catalina (United States) published:

The Diner

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

The man sitting alone at the outdoors restaurant table was very well-dressed in the poised, elegant state of the more wealthier businessmen in San Francisco. Occasionally, he would pause halfway through an article of the newspaper and check his dusty gold watch as if he had an urgent matter to attend to, but then continued reading. 
    A young lady, upon entering the crowded diner, spotted the only lone seat next to the man. She wandered back...

Seeking Peer Reviews

This is a picture of a bvery strange anf farm
2
1

RedWriter (United States) published:

Phone Call

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

"Hello?"
"Tyson?"
"Oh Lord, Ally, are you alright? Why are you answering your Father's phone?"
"Tyson, I don't know where they are. I don't know where anyone is- I can't find anyone and I just picked this up-"
"It's ok, it's ok. Where are you?"
"I'm on the side of the road- Salisbury Street, and I-I think something awful has just happened."
"How did you get there? Ok, Ally, explain everything slowly. Take a breath sweetheart"
"I just... I was...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Moonfromalola avatar 1
1

MoonFromAlola (United States) published:

Said and Unsaid

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

She rushed out onto the balcony. Her thin face was flustered from all of the excitement and at her anger at him. He stood near the edge of the balcony, leaning over the rail so carefree as the wind tossed his dark hair. All she could think about was how great of a picture it would make with the trillions of stars glistening down on him. 

"No!" she scolded herself, "Don't get distracted."  

She continued her pursuit...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Img 20161222 134531 653
1

AM Key (United States) published:

Thank you?

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

"Why are you here? And it better not be for me because I can tell you right now we aren't going to go anywhere if that is the case."
   I shrug hoping to conven that I don't know why I am here.
   "Very will then," she says with a sigh "but I sugesst you figure it out."
   "I'll work in that." I say, telling her I see where she is coming from but not making any promises.  ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Images
1

neo7v (United States) published:

Vests and Pretzel Stands

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

"No."
    My head whipped towards my brother, brows furrowed in annoyance. "Why not?" I pouted my lips at him, jaw jutting out to get his attention. "This is a once in a lifetime experience! There won't be an opportunity like this again for years!"
    The look he gave me could have frozen over the entire ocean and I shivered from the coldness radiating off of him. His eyes glared icicles at me as he replied back, "It's a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

0bc827e9 2ad7 4986 8174 4baec89fd8a4

HollyDays (Japan) published:

Sweetie

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

"You're more than welcome to drive me insane," I cooed to her. I leaned over her crib and reached for her tiny hands.
 "I remember saying the same thing when you were just as small as she is," Mom said from the couch behind me.
 I stood up straight and began rocking the crib.
 I have only fifteen day's worth of experience as a mother, but the process was nothing but pleasant. Quite contrary to what Mom always talked about....

Seeking Peer Reviews

Screen shot 2018 06 12 at 9.52.17 pm

Serendipity (Australia) published:

Silence

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

"Oh. It's you again." These are the words that greet me as I enter the aseptic, torpid room. 
"Peri," I said. "How could I leave you in this state after all you've done for me?" 
"Save your sorrow, tenuous messages, and come, sit down". Even after being plastered into a human statue, her wit and speech were as sharp as ever. "I don't know why I deserved this 'gift' from fate, but it sure has put a stop to my life. I...

Default avatar user icon

Marauderette24 (United States) published:

The Necklace

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

"How?" I asked. "How in the world did you manage to find it?" 

Josh smiled at me and stepped closer with the necklace in his hand. The blueish hue shined in the morning sunlight and the sparkle of the silver chain would attract anyone's attention. In fact, I think that the only reason that no one was looking over to see what the magnificent glimmer was coming from was that there was no one else on the beach. It was...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
3

Applesauce the woMan (United States) published:

Controversy

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

"Ravioli is a type of pop tart."
"no"

Seeking Peer Reviews

958b230bdd085e5eb007c32b92b97bcc

StarryStarryKnight (United States) published:

An Easy Decision

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

Linh stared out the window of the train, her fingers absentmindely tracing around smudges left by someone riding in the carriage before us. I didn't like the faint tension lines in her jaw, or how her dark hair was loose when normally some of it was braided. Most importantly, I disliked how she was unhappy.

"So, Rose." She said quietly. "The school year begins again."

"You make it sound like it's the worst thing in the world."

Linh sighed. "Sometimes...