All writing published for Dialogue Dexterity

Published writing

Blue earth planets space stars star other worlds world mirrirs mirror mirror

theresafrance (United States) published:

Contention

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

"You're not listening to me!" he said frustrated. I rolled my eyes and told him that he was being ridiculous and that of course, I was. 
    "It's not a matter of listening it's a matter of you being wrong," I stated. 
    "I can't be wrong when I'm telling you how I feel." He started to cry as he continued explaining all the little things I had done to upset him. I defended myself over and over again against his attacks.
    "You...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Lulu

Quilling Leaves (United States) published:

From a Fun Time at the Pool to an Unexpected Reunion

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

​"Serena," someone behind Serena said, laying a hand on her shoulder as they caught up.
She twisted her head around to find Malory, her friend, looking at her with excitement bubbling in her green eyes. She had dark blonde hair in a braid and her face held a few freckles. The beginning of the summer was just starting and Serena's nerves were turning in her stomach, of excitement and nervousness. This would be her second time returning to the Specials...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Weird
2

shadow_diva (United States) published:

Fractured

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

"I'm alright." Her voice was flat. She looked like a bird ready to spring into flight-body poised at the edge of her chair, eyes staring keenly at some point beyond the windows. The look of desperation on her face was one that I would never forget. She looked hungry to escape, looked as if she had stayed any longer, she would have lashed out, or crumbled into pieces, or both. 

I took a deep breath, and hid my tear-stained cheeks...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Sunset in my garden  by incredi d41sbp7
1

Holly Richardson (Canada) published:

Young Love

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

"Aren't you too young to have a boyfriend?"
    "Seriously, Mom? You even said I could have one once I turned sixteen."
    "Well...I didn't think it would be this soon. Can't you wait a little longer?"
    "You were pushing me last week to ask out Brian. Why is this any different?"
    "I just...I know Brian. Tony has a bad reputation. I don't want you getting hurt."
    "Tony loves me, Mom. And...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Images

Rachel22 (United States) published:

Rosemary the Riveter

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

Rosemary woke with a start. The same nightmare has plagued her dreams ever since her husband had been deployed to Germany. She saw the war field where her loving husband, James, surrounded by smoke and the smell of gunpowder was bleeding out with a bullet wound to the heart, calling her name. The dreams always felt so real. The only reason she knew it wasn’t real was that when a soldier is killed in battle, their family is sent a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

20170823 155252
1
1

Kahasai (United States) published:

The Sunder of Ghosts

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

Veronica Welker silently sat in her chair, feet on table, one hand behind her head. With the other she fingered one of the loose buttons on her scrubs.
    Through the window she could see the other juvenile prisoners whispering to each other, watching her and the person who sat silently across from her. Their stares were reasonable. In the five, long years since she had been shoved into juvie, there had been only one visit not induced by...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Img 7461

lili (United States) published:

canker sores

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

I pour myself a glass of hot lemonade and sit down at the kitchen table. In crime shows, I'd know how many seconds it's been since it happened. In real life, Mom's dead, and I can't be bothered to count. 

The person across from me at the table is thinking wistfully of bourbon and better days. Her name is something like Lucy. I am making her life difficult. Lucy sighs gently, so as not to seem like she's more miserable...

Img 7461
2
1

lili (United States) published:

canker sores

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
4

lishi (United States) published:

Green, Green Lawn

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

"I worry about you sometimes." 
    For a while, there is silence, with only the clink clink of her spoon as it goes around and around in her mug. She clears her throat.
    "I worry about you sometimes."
    She raises her gaze to meet his. It seems wearier than he remembers. He has to look away. His eyes drop to his hands-- brown, calloused, folded obediently in his lap. There is only the spoon as it goes...

Seeking Peer Reviews

5bc17933e52c242f8471e18ef5ba84cc  acrylic animal paintings canvases paintings of flowers acrylic
1

Paperbird (United States) published:

Conversation

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

The news lies open on the table, so I know at least that one person is home.  I set down my belongings, pull my hat off my head, and scratch the cat behind the ears.
    "Wilson!" I call.  My voice is slightly raspy; it's been a long day.
    My brother appears at the top of the stairs.
    "What?" he asks.  His untidy mop of hair is covering his eyes.  He has his headphones on...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Img 0448
3
1

Rosie (United Kingdom) published:

Unsaid goodbye

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

She said she'd miss me.
"think of all those good times" 
I nodded, smiled, didn't know how to say goodbye so I delved into the past.
I grinned despite myself, "remember the burrito dance?"
she laughs,
keeps saying it's not over, that we'll see each other in the weekends, the holidays, 
"more fun times to come! You haven't escaped me yet Jenny Parker!",
I try not to cry,
I make her promise to text me, phone me, snapchat me, email...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Download
3

AcetheticallyPleasing (United States) published:

Help

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

Here and now. San Jose, California. Visiting her family, she'd finally gained enough courage to ask.
She sat in a spinning chair, uncomfortably looking down at the plastic cube in her hand designed to calm her. It wasn't doing a very good job.
"What's that?" Her cousin asked. She blinked in curiosity at the tiny grey block.
"Anika, step back," she smiled. "It's just something to let me fidget."
Her mum looked at her strangely. "How is that?"
She blinked,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Rogue one a star wars story key art 4k 8k 3840x2160
1
1

Lucy_Cerys (Australia) published:

Lara Forever

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

"I don't really think-"
"Nope! Not acceptable."
"But-"
"No, I said no."
"It's not -"
"Em, come on, don't be such a chicken -"
"Will you just let me finish!" She was beginning to become a little frustrated by her friend's determination to interrupt every attempt at logic. "It's not...," she took a deep breath, intimidated by at last having caught Lara's attention. "It's just not right."
"Ha," Lara scoffed. "Plenty of things ain't right in this world."
"Like?"
"Like...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
1

GiannaMonaco (United States) published:

Sight

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

"Where did you get that from? You can't afford anything that has diamonds all over it. We are homeless and you just happened to find a diamond necklace laying on the streets of New York." 
    "I got it from the store. You know, people give us money. At least the nice people. I had some cash too, and I bought you a necklace." 
    "So, someone dropped a million dollars into the case. I don't think they...

Iwaoi
1
1

abbey_cats (United States) published:

runaway

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

It was dark. It was too dark, an ink-colored blanket that masked everything like a shroud. 
    She shouldn't have felt trapped; she shouldn't have been so trapped in her own home, sitting against the headboard of her own bed, with her legs tangled up into the blankets. 
    The shrill ring of her phone brought her back to whatever reality she seemed to be living in; she blinked stinging sleep from her eyes, trying to...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Pretty falls wallpaper 1
1

Catalina (United States) published:

The Diner

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

The man sitting alone at the outdoors restaurant table was very well-dressed in the poised, elegant state of the more wealthier businessmen in San Francisco. Occasionally, he would pause halfway through an article of the newspaper and check his dusty gold watch as if he had an urgent matter to attend to, but then continued reading. 
    A young lady, upon entering the crowded diner, spotted the only lone seat next to the man. She wandered back...

Seeking Peer Reviews

This is a picture of a bvery strange anf farm
2
1

RedWriter (United States) published:

Phone Call

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

"Hello?"
"Tyson?"
"Oh Lord, Ally, are you alright? Why are you answering your Father's phone?"
"Tyson, I don't know where they are. I don't know where anyone is- I can't find anyone and I just picked this up-"
"It's ok, it's ok. Where are you?"
"I'm on the side of the road- Salisbury Street, and I-I think something awful has just happened."
"How did you get there? Ok, Ally, explain everything slowly. Take a breath sweetheart"
"I just... I was...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Moonfromalola avatar 1
1

MoonFromAlola (United States) published:

Said and Unsaid

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

She rushed out onto the balcony. Her thin face was flustered from all of the excitement and at her anger at him. He stood near the edge of the balcony, leaning over the rail so carefree as the wind tossed his dark hair. All she could think about was how great of a picture it would make with the trillions of stars glistening down on him. 

"No!" she scolded herself, "Don't get distracted."  

She continued her pursuit...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Img 20161222 134531 653
1

AM Key (United States) published:

Thank you?

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

"Why are you here? And it better not be for me because I can tell you right now we aren't going to go anywhere if that is the case."
   I shrug hoping to conven that I don't know why I am here.
   "Very will then," she says with a sigh "but I sugesst you figure it out."
   "I'll work in that." I say, telling her I see where she is coming from but not making any promises.  ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Images
1

neo7v (United States) published:

Vests and Pretzel Stands

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

"No."
    My head whipped towards my brother, brows furrowed in annoyance. "Why not?" I pouted my lips at him, jaw jutting out to get his attention. "This is a once in a lifetime experience! There won't be an opportunity like this again for years!"
    The look he gave me could have frozen over the entire ocean and I shivered from the coldness radiating off of him. His eyes glared icicles at me as he replied back, "It's a...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Image

HollyDays (Japan) published:

Sweetie

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

"You're more than welcome to drive me insane," I cooed to her. I leaned over her crib and reached for her tiny hands.
 "I remember saying the same thing when you were just as small as she is," Mom said from the couch behind me.
 I stood up straight and began rocking the crib.
 I have only fifteen day's worth of experience as a mother, but the process was nothing but pleasant. Quite contrary to what Mom always talked about....

Seeking Peer Reviews

Screen shot 2017 05 19 at 10.55.33 pm

Serendipity (Australia) published:

Silence

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

"Oh. It's you again." These are the words that greet me as I enter the aseptic, torpid room. 
"Peri," I said. "How could I leave you in this state after all you've done for me?" 
"Save your sorrow, tenuous messages, and come, sit down". Even after being plastered into a human statue, her wit and speech were as sharp as ever. "I don't know why I deserved this 'gift' from fate, but it sure has put a stop to my life. I...

Default avatar user icon

Marauderette24 (United States) published:

The Necklace

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

"How?" I asked. "How in the world did you manage to find it?" 

Josh smiled at me and stepped closer with the necklace in his hand. The blueish hue shined in the morning sunlight and the sparkle of the silver chain would attract anyone's attention. In fact, I think that the only reason that no one was looking over to see what the magnificent glimmer was coming from was that there was no one else on the beach. It was...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
3

Aech (United States) published:

Controversy

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

"Ravioli is a type of pop tart."
"no"

Seeking Peer Reviews

958b230bdd085e5eb007c32b92b97bcc

StarryStarryKnight (United States) published:

An Easy Decision

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

Linh stared out the window of the train, her fingers absentmindely tracing around smudges left by someone riding in the carriage before us. I didn't like the faint tension lines in her jaw, or how her dark hair was loose when normally some of it was braided. Most importantly, I disliked how she was unhappy.

"So, Rose." She said quietly. "The school year begins again."

"You make it sound like it's the worst thing in the world."

Linh sighed. "Sometimes...

Peace

Opened_Mind (United States) published:

I Dream

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

I dream of home. 
You ask me if my 
Nightmares stem from here, 
I shake my head. 
I do not fear my past, 
I fear my future. 
I fear a future where I must 
Be confined to a box. 
You tell me to be a woman, 
But what does that mean? 
Where I come from, 
Being a woman means being strong.
It means protecting your friends, 
And your family.
You tell me to put away the books,
Set down the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

B42b5334a41392d04e70bdf0cc35309f
2

ejhalteman (United States) published:

What Is Said

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

I was unsure how long we sat there.
"My butt is starting to get cold." I rolled my eyes.
"That's your fault for picking the only wet bench in the park." I rubbed my hands for warmth that was no there.
"So, what was the point of this again?" She asked. I glanced around the almost empty park.
"I told you, he's always here around this time. It's unnerving really," I said. She only shook her head and tugged her...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Maia armistead1
2
1

casual.ties (New Zealand) published:

The Traffic Light

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

She ordered a traffic light. Not once has she ever finished the whole drink, but still, any time she sees it on a menu she whines and bargains until somebody breaks and gets it for her. When it arrived at the table she grinned. It always came in a pretty glass with some tropical umbrella or curly straw that made every kid in the restaurant turn and stare. I kept my eyes on her as she took the first sip...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Peace
1

Opened_Mind (United States) published:

I Dream

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

I dream of home. 
You ask me if my 
Nightmares stem fromhere, 
I shake my head. 
I do not fear my past, 
I fear my future. 
I fear a future where I must 
Be confined to a box. 
You tell me to be a woman, 
But what does that mean? 
Where I come from, 
Being a woman means being strong.
It means protecting your friends, 
And your family.
You tell me to put away the books,
Set down the pen,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

378709 2971812652530 1178176603 3425818 1686159774 n

Angelina Nguyen (Australia) published:

Five Minutes Away

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

Love in the fast lane. 

"You were featured in the paper?" I say to his grandma. Alexander signals a I'll-leave-you-to-it and heads into the kitchen. I turn back to her, who my partner insists I call Ita because he considers us "married already."

"She's my Ita. You're mine. Therefore, she is your Ita." 

"Of course! We marry for fifty years in this article!" Ita responds. This was the most she had ever said to me up until this point. 
...
Seeking Peer Reviews

Binary code icon 2
4

Glytch Montoya (United States) published:

Forgive and Forget?

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

"...Hey," Michael said finally. 
    Grace said nothing. She just sat there on the park bench, watching the fish swim around in the small pond in front of them. Michael tried again. 
    "How's it going?" 
    Grace didn't reply, but she did move a bit further from him on the bench. 
    "Please, just say something? Anything?" 
    Grace still sat in silence, not making eye contact. 
    "Look, I'm sorry,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Jemima puddle duck by chantalgalvan d648ypi
1

Puddleduck (New Zealand) published:

Leaving

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

"Promise me you'll be back," Lily said, a tear forming in her eye. "Please?"
Her friend Bree leaned in and hugged her. "Of course, Lily. One year of study and I'll be back in Beke."
The two girls looked over at May, whose head dropped in silence. Lily's lip quivered.
"I'll come back someday. But it may not be to stay," May said finally.
"I'll miss you so much," Lily sniffed. 
"Why don't you come with us then?" May asked. ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

97cb9fe1 4641 458b a0d9 24b3acb9a6e2

WhiltiernaWolfLord (United States) published:

The Trick

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

You've probably seen the posters. And heard the rumors. I know I can't say anything that would redeem myself,but can I just say that...they're not true? I know everyone has heard the rumor and the story, it's the talk at school and anywhere where a juicy story was needed. You've probably heard the story by now too, but before you make your judgements, could I maybe ask of you to hear me out? No, it's not a sappy declaration of...

Seeking Peer Reviews

97cb9fe1 4641 458b a0d9 24b3acb9a6e2

The Trick

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

Seeking Peer Reviews

Waterfire
2

JCWriter (United States) published:

Negotiations

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

This conversation is going to be about as pleasant as finishing two hours of homework only to find that the worksheet has questions on the back, I reflected, reaching for the door handle. And of course, that was assuming I survived the whole thing.
    But Darcy wouldn't really kill me, I reasoned. She certainly acted like she could (and, frequently, like she would), but she'd never actually do it. She could be dramatic, in her own brooding,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

97cb9fe1 4641 458b a0d9 24b3acb9a6e2
1

The Trick

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

You've probably seen the posters. And heard the rumors. I know I can't say anything that would redeem myself, I know,but can I just say that...they're not true? I know everyone has heard the rumor and the story, it's the talk at school and anywhere where a juicy story was told. You've probably heard the story by now too, but before you make your judgements, could I maybe ask of you to hear me out? No, it's not a sappy...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Asun wattpadd
2

Madz Mac (Australia) published:

Till Their Gone

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

“Ed…Ed…Edmund!?”
“Huh-huh-what?” a mop of black hair shoots out from the foliage within the tree, dark eyes searching frantically.
“What’s wrong Lizzie?”
She tucks a strand of blonde hair behind her ear, and swings her legs beneath the branch she’s sitting on. “I couldn’t find you.”
“That’s what the impromptu heart attack was for?”
She looks out over the countryside around them, brown eyes searching, contemplating. A place so big, so peaceful, so lonely.
“You…you know you’re my best friend...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Bertie and dodie
5
1

forest_5 (United States) published:

The Chair

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

I had been carefully placed, piece by piece. Sanded to make my rough edges smooth. I had been painted by the most careful, and precise hands I had ever known. I was a gift. I had always been a gift, passed down from generation, to generation. From father to son. Until one day, I had been disregarded. Abandoned. I sat silently, untouched, waiting in the dark dusty room until I would happily see daylight again. Finally the time had come. ...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Img 3459
3
1

ARS7 (United States) published:

The Proposal

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

"So." Daprine swirled lemonade around in his take-out cup. 
   "So," I frantically grasped at subjects, "how's Kewit?" 
"Fine. He just got a job in the states." He stared out the restaurant window.
   "That's good news." I took a long drink from my straw.
"I heard about Bisauve." Daprine said casually.
   "From who?" I tried acting casual as well, but it was hard because of the hurt pressing down on my heart.
"Hirvea. She's worried about you. But...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Profpic
1
1

existing loudly (United States) published:

safe

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

it's so quiet.

it's dark, too, but the reading light next to me illuminates the book. i can feel her smile and i can see her eyes, dancing in the light of the fire. the curling tendrils of steam from her coffee rise up and swirl away into the darkness, twisting into beautiful spirals in the light.

"you haven't read a word, have you?" her voice takes me by surprise.

"i have; maybe two or so." it's a lie but that...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Img 1550
1

squid_inks (Philippines) published:

So Long, and Goodnight

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

She has been stalling for the past ten minutes. First, she was ranting about how loud and dramatic her family had been at home. How her annoying little siblings had clung to her legs tightly and her parents messing up her curls. Now, she's been describing the drink cupped in her hands. 

"Elena." 
She looks up at me. "What's up."
"What's wrong?"
"What are you talking about?"
I give her a pointed look and she sighs. 
"I-I'm scared too, you...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Img 0161
3

Pandy99 (United States) published:

yeah, yeah, yeah

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

"So..." the boy said. He was leaning against the wall, a virtual ad for teenage angst.
"So what are you gonna do about it?" His sister was having none of his tricks.
"What'd you mean?"
"You know what I mean."
"Nah," said the boy, staring at a point just above her head. 
"I know you know what I mean."
"You ain't gonna say it, though."
"So you know then," she said. 
"Eh," he responded. The fewer words, the angrier his...

Snapchat 1466910483
5

mjraswrites (United States) published:

I Didn't Know You Were A Girl

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

“I didn’t know you were a girl.” The words pull me out of my conversation with Jess and Joey about the political crisis of the British Wizarding Ministry from the Harry Potter series.
Kyle sits in the row across from me. He’s been banned from the back of the school bus three times already, but he’s taken to not listening to the rule of him sitting in the front, much to the dismay of those of us in the back....

Seeking Peer Reviews

Hair
3

Fidgetsally (United Kingdom) published:

a final decision

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

White lights; familiar but not comfortable. The rhythmic beeps of the monitor next to my bed fill in the silences between my mother's sobs.
"I don't want to live like this." I say. "It's worth the risk to me". My father runs his hand through his hair.
"Well it's not to me." he says after a while. Another shaky sob escapes from my mum. "But it's not my choice - is it." We sit in the almost silence - twiddling...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1 corinthians 134
2

korra4life (United States) published:

The Meet

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

My bag was on one shoulder, making my body slanted. I walked through the marketplace, nervously avoiding the streets leading to the restaurant. I didn't want to go anymore. I didn't want to see them. Finally, about thirty minutes after the said meeting time, I walked into the restaurant. I shoved my hands into pockets and let the waiter lead me to the table. A man and a woman were sitting there, looking at the menu. They both looked up...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Default avatar user icon
5

Kanksha_Chawla (Singapore) published:

​Spaces

PROMPT: Dialogue Dexterity

“Why don’t you publish?” Sila cries impatiently.
“When you’re in love, the worst thing to do is to get married.”
 “That’s selfish,” she says “Only words that are read can touch hearts.”
“That’s another egotistic reason to publish your work.”
Sila sighs. “I haven’t written anything original so far.”
“There exist no original thoughts, only those not read.”
She jots down this down on her phone like a reporter at work.
 “This? Seriously? It’s the most unoriginal conversation. We’re sitting...

Seeking Peer Reviews