All writing published for Talking to “You”

Published writing

2

Nighthawk (Canada) published:

The Dragon

PROMPT: Talking to “You”

You were on that fabled quest. Finally. After literal years of sweat and grime you had reached that optimum of strength and agility. Skilled enough, you were, to defeat any opponent. Most any opponent, that is. If you could defeat The Dragon, then that would be the truth and none could say otherwise. You would be named Champion. Mascot of the Realm. And oh the parties they would hold in your honor!  Why, you would be the most celebrated citizen...

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 17 hours ago

2

Nighthawk (Canada) published:

The Dragon

PROMPT: Talking to “You”

Seeking Peer Reviews

about 17 hours ago

Holy_Grail (Nigeria) published:

Here lies...

PROMPT: Talking to “You”

The pale moon watches you as you push the gate through. Its hinges squeal, Zip! Your heart shreds in the noise as you watch the doors part. You think about the dank air, the mist floating as packed crumbs whisking on the ground as a blanket of steam, concealing what lays beyond. 
One step, your heels crunch on dried leaves. Second step, you step on... Snap! The sound reels you over, your legs twist, you fall flat on your face....

Seeking Peer Reviews

1 day ago

1

Tiektyne Alma (United States) published:

You Need Pizza!

PROMPT: Talking to “You”

It takes only five seconds to order the pizza. Well, it would, anyway, if you’d behave like a normal human being instead of an idiotic alien from Mars. Or maybe Jupiter. Or somewhere else altogether. Wherever you’re acting like you came from, it’s evident that no has taught you how to order a pizza. Any other person would walk into the pizza shop, announce their order to the employee behind the counter, and wait for it to be ready....

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

You Need Pizza!

PROMPT: Talking to “You”

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Rachel Martinez (United Arab Emirates) published:

If Only You Could Trust Him

PROMPT: Talking to “You”

Missing a bus is just another typical nuisance in a commuter's life but what makes it worse is the way back home.
For all the bravado you displayed, deep down, a spring was spurting tiny doses of anxiety and dread at every testosterone that walked past.
Be it cars or dirt bikes, the presence of men made things worse, the reassuring grip of the cell phone the sole force surpassing the inertia; prodding you to take the subsequent step.
The...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Yelena Valentina (United States) published:

Depictions of Death; Dead Women Can't Cry

PROMPT: Talking to “You”

Dead women don’t cry. They don’t wilt beneath the withering sun and they don’t fall to swords or knives or guns. They can’t. Their hearts can’t stop and their lungs can’t fail them and their limbs and bones can’t crumble to rocks and stones. They’re dead. 

Dead women can’t laugh. They can’t smile and they can’t feel loved. They can’t feel happiness and they don’t remember what it’s like to cross their legs to keep themselves from peeing their pants....

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

PROMPT: Talking to “You”

Seeking Peer Reviews

PROMPT: Talking to “You”

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

Cucoolchameleon (United States) published:

Step Into His Shoes

PROMPT: Talking to “You”

You stand on the platform of the A train. People hustle all around you, some lugging bags and suitcases, some tugging children along. Some brush against you as they rush by, and you feel their leather jackets and velvet coats and wool scarves and tasseled hats. But their faces are blurred, their voices murmurs, distant as you stand and stare at the one person who is not caught up in all the mayhem: a man sitting cross-legged against the tiled...

Seeking Peer Reviews

6

Stone of Jade (United States) published:

don't make the mistake of walking to the blueberry patch without shoes

PROMPT: Talking to “You”

"don't make the mistake of walking to the blueberry patch without shoes"

the warning seems out of place.
strolling barefoot through the garden, listening to the birds above.
you absentmindedly pick a strawberry from the garden box. the sun-warmed berry bursts in your mouth, its sweet flavor tickles your tongue and coats your lips in juice. 

wandering further, you find flowers you forgot your mother planted earlier this spring. the shoots are stronger, greener, surging open in colors indescribable. a...
Seeking Peer Reviews

2

_Peanut_ (United States) published:

Insomnia's Routine

PROMPT: Talking to “You”

"See you in the morning," your little brother whispers as you tip-toe past his unlit room.
    "See you in the morning," you mouth back, your words barely carrying their own weight as they attempt to float into his bedroom. He probably didn't hear you, but you are too focused on trying not to spill your too-full glass of water that you carry into your own oasis.
    A lamp's light greets you as you push open your door. You...

Seeking Peer Reviews

5

dovetrees (United Kingdom) published:

you are a mystery

PROMPT: Talking to “You”

i.
you are alive. living, breathing,
alive. 
you see constellations in his freckles, galaxies in his eyes. 
his touch is dusty, tentative. he is from somewhere else. but
he won't tell you where. you see him every day but never seem to remember
that one day
he just appeared. 

ii.
biting cold air enters your lungs and you feel refreshed. stardust
flows through your veins, the memory of everyone who was
and ever will be flooding your entire being. 
the...

The Alegreya Queen (United States) published:

Imperfect

PROMPT: Talking to “You”

"It's Pinkberry, from my mom's makeup store," She says. Her hazel eyes blink at you, and you get another glimpse of her glittery gold eyeshadow. "Makeup store?" You ask.

"You must have heard of it. Celine Lewis?"

She shows you the gold CL. Written below it in small black letters says 'Pinkberry.'

It's a glimmery bubblegum shade of lip gloss. Of course you've heard of it. Pink lip gloss is all the rage, no matter where you are. "I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

Sophiascb (United States) published:

Wonder

PROMPT: Talking to “You”

You should not be as angry as you are. And yet...

Everyone else is pushing, this huge crowd seems to take little notice of who is in their midst. Shouldn't they be crying for autographs, lunging to touch a piece of your clothing, or sneakily trying to record you at the very least? Alas, swells of bodies brush past, no heads turning, no eyes widening. That would infuriate anybody as important as you. 
Moving to New York was a mistake....

Seeking Peer Reviews

1
1

_Peanut_ (United States) published:

Insomnia's Routine

PROMPT: Talking to “You”

"See you in the morning," your little brother whispers as you tip-toe past his blackened room.
    A small lamp's light greets you as you push open your door....

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

blackberrysage (United States) published:

Paper Flowers

PROMPT: Talking to “You”

The flower shop in Sector Five hasn’t sold real flowers in years. You remember seeing them fairly often as a child, when the owner was able to import them from Earth, but now the windows are filled with blossoms of wire, clay, and glass.
        Even those are often expensive. The space station is large, so there will always be people who can afford them, but as less and less money has come in from the asteroid mines, things like flowers...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Katie Andrews (Australia) published:

and you don't even know it

PROMPT: Talking to “You”

You're lucky, you know. 

You know what it feels like to be stowed away in someone else's heart. Yet you don't even know it. And it's not like you'd even care to realise. 

You've got everything. A cluster of friends, an aura that commands respect, a smile that turns heads. And yet you don't even notice the way she stares at you, or how she carefully picks her words to make you laugh. You lie in bed, unaware that she's...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Katie Andrews (Australia) published:

and you don't even know it

PROMPT: Talking to “You”

You're lucky, you know. 

Seeking Peer Reviews

3

SunV (India) published:

the merry-go-round

PROMPT: Talking to “You”

your hair is a mess, sticking out everywhere
(like a pineapple, i suppose)
but it doesn't matter

your eyes shoot back and forth between the chocolate ice cream and the vanilla one
(both are equally tasty, i assure you)
as you decide what to pick

the loud noises around us, children screaming, parents shrieking, none of them bother you
(that's what growing up in a big family would do)
you drool in front of the ice cream truck instead

you...

Seeking Peer Reviews

3
1

Marsfh (Australia) published:

Broken

PROMPT: Talking to “You”

When you are told that you are not ok. You are told that you are damaged. You are told that you will never be the same.

It started when you woke up in your bed like every other morning, got dressed for the day and grabbed your bag and a small piece of toast, and left to go to school. You are told this will be a normal day, just like every other one for 16 and a half years....
Seeking Peer Reviews

2

PercyFan28 (United States) published:

A Letter to You

PROMPT: Talking to “You”

You weren't always like this. You used to be happy. You used to spend time with your family. That is, until it set on you. Until anxiety and depression entered your life. 

You weren't always mad at everyone. You didn't always scream at everyone. You didn't always eat. You didn't always starve. You didn't always hate yourself. You didn't always kill time by aimlessly browsing the internet, trying to find interests in broken people who were in a similar predicament....

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

The Secret Society of Purple Iguanas of Death Online (United States) published:

you don’t know why

PROMPT: Talking to “You”

You could look at her every day, memorize the curve of her face and the delicacy of her voice when she’s happy, without ever seeing her. You walk by her every day in the hall, headphones in. You smile and wave once in a while, and are confused when she looks behind to see nothing, blushes, and hurries to her next class. You wonder, when she brushes the hair from her face when talking to you, whether she feels the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

5

rainydayz (United States) published:

A Volunteer to the Big Bang

PROMPT: Talking to “You”

Your room is a complete darkness other than the hypnotizing glow coming from your cell phone. You can’t sleep with the storm outside your window. The booming thunder contrary to what others might think pulls you even deeper into your dream like state. You try to look around rejecting the urge to scroll through another comparison competition hiding behind the collective lie that it is “social media”. Abruptly, you are completely consumed by nothingness by the press of a button....

Seeking Peer Reviews

7

A. Penderwick (United States) published:

Pancakes: A Metaphor (A Throwback)

PROMPT: Talking to “You”

Your pancake batter is ready. Not made from a mix this time, but completely from scratch. The griddle is heating up on the stovetop. You scoop a dollop of batter, and pour it on to the griddle. You wait for it to spread out and turn golden brown like it is supposed to, but it doesn't. Instead it becomes burnt on the outside, but stays raw in the middle. You scrape scrape off the burnt residue, and add...

Seeking Peer Reviews