All writing published for Flash Fiction Competition 2017. See Competition

Published writing

11

Marerider (United States) published:

Bittersweet Endings

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2017

I close the book with a satisfying thump and let out a deep sigh. I run a finger along the spine, tracing the silver title. It was a riveting book, full of adventure, mystery and romance. I look at the cover and smile as I remember the scene it depicts. I am glad to have finished it, to know the outcome. And yet I wish it was not over, I wish the adventure could go on. I will never read that...

Seeking Peer Reviews

lovely (United States) published:

Words

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2017

Those Words
Encased in bitterness and resent
Always with the intent to hurt
Credible for the sound without noise
They were thrown about recklessly
Without care to the ones burned
Sharp
They could pierce with vengeance
Leaving even glass stained
Cunning
They were laced with beauty and painted with hatred
And for a while after
My worth felt shredded
Morality obliterated
When they spoke Those Words
But then I realized laying on the ground
Words cannot strip you
People cannot even...

Seeking Peer Reviews

a123123 (United States) published:

na

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2017

1

lilytw (United States) published:

Milk and Kittens

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2017

You told me it wouldn't work because I am milk and kittens. Because I am strawberry bubblegum breath and tea, not coffee. That's a lie. It's because I'm afraid of merging onto the interstate at rush hour. Because it's not funny to me when your parents call cigarettes dinner, their elbows splayed on that stupid, red checkered tablecloth, that stupid, picnic tablecloth. Because I cringe when they hoist your brother up like a sack of potatoes, his fat, baby head...

2

just.dreaming (United States) published:

New Year, New Me

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2017

"New year, new me," I chanted almost methodically, promising myself this would be the year I actually completed my New Years Resolution. This was the first New Years I had spent alone in years. But I almost preferred it this way. Being alone was much better than having an insane, action filled night, just like last year, when my former best friend threw the party. As if on cue, I heard a knock at the door.
    When I...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

LuciferRising (United Kingdom) published:

Her

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2017

The girl I loved was short, like a haiku, or maybe a worm. I don't know. I was never good at describing things or even naming them.

Back to her, he girl I loved.

She was warm, kind, amazing. She had soft, curly brown hair and intense hazel eyes. She was beauty personified.

Her personality was the best. She was perfect. We were engaged, to be married in a month or so. Her mother was flying out to help...

Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Thea Engzén (Sweden) published:

Ghosts

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2017

Ghosts

In blindness,
my hand trail the place next to me, eager to touch the warm body that always lay next to mine. 
Cold sheets,
I find only the ghost of a man and the vague smell of someone that had slept there.
Like a bolt of lightning,
it struck me, I was alone.
Images flash before me,
he's waiting in the kitchen when I come home.
Packed bags on the floor, my coats hanging lonely in the hallway.
I sit...
Seeking Peer Reviews

1

Kahasai (United States) published:

The Soldier's Story

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2017

There was earth all around him. In his hand he clutched a sword. What had happened?
    Drifts of memory came to him as he breathed dirt. People feared him. Hated him. He was a monster, wasn't he? Why was he a monster? Because he had killed some folk?
    No, because he had destroyed a kingdom. On his own. How?
    Through the pure force of his will and anger.
    In the end, the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

5
1

Kahasai (United States) published:

The Soldier's Story

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2017

There was dirt all around him. Clutched in his hand was a sword. What had happened?
    In the end, the...

Seeking Peer Reviews

pineapplegirl13 (United States) published:

Cancer

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2017

That day changed everything. Her life, her point of view; she never felt the same again. She couldn't even hear the word "cancer" anymore without flinching. It was natural. She flinched even when she wasn't thinking about it. 
    She cried that day, the day her twin died. She was scared, and sad. She had just watched a copy of her, gone forever. And it terrified her. Her heart was heavy as a rock.
    She...

Cancer

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2017

That day changed everything. Her life, her point of view, she never felt the same again. She couldn't even hear the word "cancer" anymore without flinching. It was natural, she flinched even when she wasn't thinking about it. 
    She cried that day, the day her twin died. She was scared and sad. She had just watched a copy of her, gone forever. And it honestly terrified her. But that was besides the point.
    She...

1

YantinJ published:

Man In The Mirror

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2017

It's a cold snowy night, your home alone, not a sound to be heard. You turn on your T.V, The news reports a crazed killer on the loose and he's in your neighborhood, you lock your doors and windows. As you close your screen door you notice a man standing in the snow, he looks at you with a cracked grin, you immediately grab your phone and dial 911, you look back outside and the man is much closer then he was...

Jack Ussmann (United States) published:

The Jump of my life

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2017

I walked up to the cliff edging back afraid of how high I was. I stepped forward again as rocks began to fall this was my first time ever cliff jumping and I was afraid. I didn't know I would be this scared didn't know it would require so much bravery to just jump.I looked down watching all my parents cousins, brothers, and sister watching me up at the top. I had to find the bravery in I had to find the courage....

1

hailzy.last (United States) published:

Step

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2017

I walked quietly down the path, looking around at the scenery. I took in the trees, the different shades of green, step. I took in the river that was flowing under the wooden bridge, step. I took in the cool breeze as it ruffled my hair and clothes, step. I smiled to myself and continued to walk, feeling the ground crunch beneath me, step. I walked further down the path, farther and farther, step. My walking began to slow down,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

BraedonS (United States) published:

The Shark and Squid

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2017

Once there was a Shark that liked to explore. He came across a squid, eating a minnow. The Shark started to look for food in a new place, but the squid followed. The Shark went to eat a nearby whale, but the Whale started to attack. The Shark was terrified, and tried to get away, but when the Sharked looked back, the Whale was not after him, it ate the Squid. The Shark got so mad, he killed the whale...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Rdryer (United States) published:

Pleat

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2017

Rocky waves were making the sail swing back and fourth, getting closer and closer to the dock by the minute; the anticipation was growing. We were nearly feet away, from the dock, Captain yelled many words but I could not make them out. Eventually I heard him say on word "pleat." As I thought to myself what am I going to do, I can't pleat. I am confused on what way the rope goes and how many time to pull...

Simon D. (United States) published:

The Test

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2017

There was nothing he could do, it was too late. He knew it was coming for 7 days now, and he did nothing then, while he still could. Now he could do nothing to change his fate. All he could do is grab his calculator and hope for the best.

1

Quilling Leaves (United States) published:

A Little Flame of Hope.

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2017

I lean against the wall, my head resting against it. My eyes are shut, trying to hide the emotions that stir within me. Tears escape my shut closed eye lids and my heart aches with pain and hurt. My mind is scrabbling to keep my always hidden emotions hidden. My ears ring with other kids around the playground, not bothering to notice me. But, as my eyes open they meet yours. Your  caring blue eyes full of sympathy and gentleness....

Seeking Peer Reviews

Stella R (United States) published:

99 or below- Stella Regina

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2017

My father put up a swing in my backyard. It is attached to one of the biggest trees in my backyard. I was the first one ever to swing on the swing. A couple days later my grandpa told us that when he was a kid they would jump off of platforms onto the swing. He took out a ladder that we could jump off of. It was very fun and nerve racking. Then one night my mom, grandma, and...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Michael Weinbel (United States) published:

Baseball, The Best Sport

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2017

Not an easy sport
I hit the ball
I field the ball
I catch the ball 
I throw the ball 
I pitch the ball
I flash the leather
I swing the bat
I play baseball
The best sport in the world
I watch the ball into the zone and watch it fly off my bat
It is not very easy but it is amazing
I score a run,everyone cheers
I get a hit, everyone cheers
I hit a home run,...

Seeking Peer Reviews

Christine Nelson published:

Flash Fiction Writing

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2017

Christine Nelson
Write for the World

Flash Fiction 

A girl name Sarah was walking home one day, and got a text from her mother "come home now and don't freak out." Sarah texted back saying "Okay will be there in a few." As soon as she got home she notice her dad laying on the ground dead. She had no idea what was going on so she had her mom call the police. Sarah was at school...

1

CarlyI#7 (United States) published:

The Crew

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2017

Carly Irizzary
17 September 17
Flash Fiction 
Period 1/

The sun glaring at the great blue mass. The ocean waves are like free spirits drifting to the shore. The captain and his crew are going on a mission, deep in the sea. Fishing off their boat, they are searching for dinner. The captain was getting worried, there was no fish coming up. He didn't want his crew to starve, so he did what was needed. The captain jumped into the water, with...

GiannaMonaco (United States) published:

Dark night at the Beach

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2017

"Why are we going to the beach at night Tom?" I asked him nervously. 
    "Because the waves are better at night, and I want to surf. This is the spot. The lucky surfing spot. Now you sit here and make sure if mom texts you, you say we are at the ice cream parlor."  Tom yells into my year to make sure I understand. 
    Tom grabs his surf board and jumps in the water....

3
1

Sweetie (United States) published:

Let Me Fall

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2017

The paper shriveled as it became engulfed in flames.  It was writing she knew by heart.  They were her own foolish descriptions of her high school years, each one written with flawless handwriting and poise.  She didn't care anymore.  She hated them.  On every page her friend's betrayal was written in bright red ink, but she was blind to it.  She tears out another paper, crinkles it, throws it and reaches for anther one.  But now, all that remains is...

Seeking Peer Reviews

2

elisa (United States) published:

first kiss

PROMPT: Flash Fiction Competition 2017

the moonlight filtering through the blinds illuminates his face. his eyes are sparkling. they're daring me to do this and god, how i want to. his eyelashes flutter closed.

he smiles.

i lean forward and do it. all of a sudden, much sooner than i know what to do his lips are on mine and the world is upside down. i understand now. all these fusses about first kisses. i feel like magic is coursing through my veins.

i open...

Seeking Peer Reviews