This prompt is no longer active. Please select a new prompt to start writing a new piece.

Other Worlds

Full Details

The fire of literacy is created by the emotional sparks between a child, a book, and the person reading. It isn’t achieved by the book alone, nor by the child alone, nor by the adult who’s reading aloud—it’s the relationship winding between all three, bringing them together in easy harmony. (Award winning children’s author, Mem Fox)

Most of us have memories of cuddling up with a parent or grandparent, their voices inviting us into a world wholly different from our own. What is your fondest memory of being read to, dear writers? What was the book? Who was the reader?

In a paragraph or two, take us into a scene—as amalahmed1008 and Life's Been Good do in these standout examples—showing us how this experience of being read to planted the seed for your imagination, or provided an escape from a chaotic household, or even stirred in you the desire to write. Take us into the “easy harmony” that Fox describes above, and recreate that magic confluence of book, child (you!), and reader.